Guild Boss Invasion 2

Comments

• coneyK wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I'm trying to comprehend the argument going on: there's a leaderboard so guilds can make sure their members are pulling their weight, but you can use it to view your guild's global rank. The rewards aren't by global ranking though.

So people are mad because the presence of the leaderboard alone is enough to compulsively push them to try and reach the top? If you think the LB is there to trigger your addictive urges, rather than the fact that the devs probably just wanted to reuse/extend an asset from previous guild games, then honestly you need to chill.

I think some folks are just wanting to keep the LBs but have it stop counting once you reach the highest threshold, similar to how crowns are doing. Once you hit 10,500, that's it, and everyone that hits 10,500 is considered #1.

I suppose this would prevent bickering/taunting between guilds, but that can be a good or bad thing I guess lol.

• My statement was asking a point of clarification from a developer. @Joel stated that one of the reasons for the lack of advance notice is that this event is non-competitive. If a leaderboard is included, as was the case during the last Boss Invation event, then it is a competitive event. So, I am asking for clarification on whether this is indeed intended to be a non-competitive event. And, if that is the intention, then is there a change from the last Boss Invasion event that I am unaware of that makes this event non-competitive?

I understand the purpose of leaderboards and the monetary incentive to include them, and my statement was not intended as a commentary on this incentive.

You are really complicating this 0.o It's not competitive for a simple reason: There's no 1st, 2nd, 3rd place ect rewards. Everyone who achieves a certain threshold get's the same rewards. If we can look at the last GBI as an example - It's also very easy to hit this top tier so no preparation should really be needed.

The last boss event was not competitive either. Example: Someone pulls up next to me at a red light. They give my 2010 honda civic an up and down look like they're checking out my fine lady. They rev their engines some and when that light turns green, they absolutely smoke me. If that person feels like they won this supposed "race", good for them! That does not however mean any race actually occurred.

@MattCauthron we now know you live in Houston, attend Hearthstone events, read wheel of time, and have an insatiable addiction to ice cream. If I plug all of that into google, I get only a single result, leaving no room for argument. Shoulda been more careful...sorry to dox you.

ucsfyvdli8b4.png

pqb3p3wdl52i.png
  • @Skip_Holmes

Hahahah omg i'm crying. On that topic anyone in Houston that wants to go to a hearthstone Tavern Brawl on Monday?! I've been asking random Line chats with no luck >.>

There's also ironically a hearthstone article with a picture of me where my hands are covered in melted icecream. Busted.
  • Ok this war has gone on for a little long. Y’all probably need(ed) to vent, clarify and express thoughts, etc.

Now with the facts we (will) have on GBI2, go with whatever strategy and vision you and your guild has and try to stick to it. Be it winning the lb or winning another guild or getting a certain tier of rewards. Whether you want to change your vision midway, up to you. Every decision has repercussions.

Try to keep it friendly though? We’re all players and games are supposed to be fun.
  • This is all nice, but when will we get emails/hinting on the forums or just basic info about the new character?
  • danacdanac Member
    Now for the serious stuff:
    FatCat69 wrote: »
    Someone reminded me that @eej mentioned that all future hero releases will be via the GBIs, not via the portals.

If that's the case, then the 120+ heroic portal summons I have queued up and waiting for a use are feeling SUPER useless and they'd better change weekly rewards back to gem equivalents soon, because that's kinda a crappy way to make those summons completely worthless.

Clearly DB has been trying for ages to find a mechanism to prevent top end players from maxxing out a hero within minutes of release.
    The whole portal nerf was attempt #1, and now they're come upon a solution.
    Unfortunately, it makes weekly guild rewards almost completely useless, the portals now having as much worth as the dumb Hagrim tokens we get.

In one way it makes sense, the Heroic portal is overflowing with heroes as it is. And putting more in Great or Honor is nonviable.
    But it does really screw over people who could use gems rewards to craft runes.

I'll call this a fail for DB
    itirnitii wrote: »

All I am asking is that if the event is truly not meant to be competitive, the devs should do everything in their power to resonate that in their programming. Capping the leaderboard (just like with crowns at 10,500) would do just that.

Nah. The whole idea of Invasion and revamped Guild events is to increase the importance of guilds in the game, to foster a tighter sense of community among the players. The original Guild Games were a start, but too infrequent. The weekly guild competition is no longer viable for that, for reasons outlined above, and because the actual competition has been nerfed- virtually everyone can get 10.5k now if they have players that actually play.

So, you have a Guild Games, which is competitive, and a Invasion, which they claim is not.

But, *by design* it is and it isn't. Because part of fostering guild cohesion is fostering competition between guilds. Invasions with a capped leaderboard will not satisfy this.
    But Invasions with a competitive reward system occurring once every month or so will probably be too excessive.

This is a middle road, giving lower level guilds something to pull together for, but giving higher ranked guilds a chance to compete- *if* they want, not for rewards, but for bragging rights.

Seems the right balance to me, I'd say this is a win for DB.

• This is all nice, but when will we get emails/hinting on the forums or just basic info about the new character?

Try asking again in 2 hours. Third times the charm!
  • 6 friends go out bowling. There's a special at the bowling alley that day where if you hit 100 points you'd get a free special Kat's Bowling Alley mug! HORRAY. Larry who typically wins every single week decides that since hitting 100 is everyone's goal that he would just aim for 100 to make this a fun non-competitive event.

Umberto who never wins anything starts laughing at Larry telling him how much better he is than Larry. Larry tries to explain to Umberto that he just wanted this to be a fun event where the results didn't matter. Umberto continues to laugh and make fun of Larry.

Larry decides Umberto needs a lesson taught to him and quickly runs up his score and surpasses poor Umberto who to this day is still asking if this should count now.

And turns out the only lesson learned that day was that Larry shouldn’t mix his anti-depressants with alcohol again, makes him scramble his facts all up and get all hot headed. Umberto knows the only people to ask if it counted were Justine Lane and Patrick Ark. As a matter of fact Larry didn’t seem to grasp the concept of the game or a simple solution to self control. So the very next time the bowling alley wanted to have another event Larry begged them to hide the leader boards, because he feels that if you can’t see them should it count now?
  • MalphiusMalphius Member
    edited October 19
    6 friends go out bowling. There's a special at the bowling alley that day where if you hit 100 points you'd get a free special Kat's Bowling Alley mug! HORRAY. Larry who typically wins every single week decides that since hitting 100 is everyone's goal that he would just aim for 100 to make this a fun non-competitive event.

Umberto who never wins anything starts laughing at Larry telling him how much better he is than Larry. Larry tries to explain to Umberto that he just wanted this to be a fun event where the results didn't matter. Umberto continues to laugh and make fun of Larry.

Larry decides Umberto needs a lesson taught to him and quickly runs up his score and surpasses poor Umberto who to this day is still asking if this should count now.

Larry worked hard for very little. Larry's boss ate a giant rooster, and Umberto laughs about it quite often.
    malphius
  • Think jax forgot to mention that the insults from umberto were imagined and that umberto had left the bowling alley and was having some laughs with everyone while watching Larry bowl by himself
  • "Larry, we've already gotten the prize!" His friends cried, "Why are you making us pay for all of these pointless frames? We just want to go play arcade games with Umberto!"
  • Joel wrote: »
    As with the prior Boss Invasion event, the leaderboards exist to give guilds a way to track their progress over the course of the event, but the payouts are based on point thresholds, not rankings.

Regarding this.....why is a leaderboard necessary for a guild to track its process....a guild could simply be displayed their own guilds total without the totals of every other guild on a leaderboard. Of course if you have a leaderboard it is going to drive guilds to be competitive. So now you have guilds competing in an event that is supposed to be non competitive. The only thing that is happening is they aren't being rewarded for it
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    I want to go bowling too. But Joel said I have to be nice to the other bowlers.
  • I love bowling, I'm quite the sweeper.
    Beware dirt everywhere of your doom, for I am Life Reaper Broom
  • Guys in my bowling analogy we were all friends.

Please adhere to my vision of a perfect bowling outing.
  • danacdanac Member
    bvs72 wrote: »
    I want to go bowling too. But Joel said I have to be nice to the other bowlers.

I think I'd be nice to all of them as long as there weren't any sq

uids.
  • I'm fairly disappointed with the amount of notice. I took this week away from my guild, as I had some work commitments earlier this week. Now I'm guildless until reset, with a guild event about to start. Fun.
  • You just need to get into a guild before the end of the event to contribute and collect.
  • Yes, I guess it depends on how it's structured. But if there are daily quests it means my resources are going towards a random guild, instead of my proper guild, and my random guild is not likely to rank well. The devs know people move around after reset, I can't imagine why they thought doing this before reset without notice was a good idea.
  • 1 week sounds about right to inform about a significant event, especially for events which start mid-week (ie. Thursday). Gives the guild some time to respond and start checking on members before Sunday and do any changeovers on Sunday. Not rushed.

Also, one week to collect resources to possibly spend. It feels better to go into an event somewhat prepared rather than naked.
  • Let's put this to rest there where 2 winners of the last boss invasion LC who had an unbelievable high score that must of cost them a fortune to get and me for getting to watch them do it.so congratulations to LC and myself hopefully you can get doped into winning again #keep the leaderboard
  • Anûbis wrote: »
    And turns out the only lesson learned that day was that Larry shouldn’t mix his anti-depressants with alcohol again, makes him scramble his facts all up and get all hot headed. Umberto knows the only people to ask if it counted were Justine Lane and Patrick Ark. As a matter of fact Larry didn’t seem to grasp the concept of the game or a simple solution to self control. So the very next time the bowling alley wanted to have another event Larry begged them to hide the leader boards, because he feels that if you can’t see them should it count now?

Aragorn of Arathorn wants to bowl too...

• FatCat69FatCat69 Member
    edited October 19
    Aragorn is always welcome at the table. I'm pretty sure he has a standing position in the bowling lineup. ;)
  • RenlyRenly Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    FatCat69 wrote: »
    Year and a half. What’s planned for mid April 2019?

Sorting?
    IGN: Renly
    DB Guru | OG Potato | Rightful Heir to the Iron Throne

“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”
    ― A.A. Milne

• No no. That's planned for April 4628472738488288.
    Awesome Farfella guy up there was created by jackhallow666^!!!
    Also, go gorgons!
  • echonap wrote: »
    Anûbis wrote: »

aragorn son of arathorn son of *insert crapton of kings of arnor, gondor, and arthedain here* of isildur son of elendil son of *insert kings of andunie and numenor here* son of elros son of earandil and elwing
  • danacdanac Member
    echonap wrote: »
    Anûbis wrote: »

aragorn son of arathorn son of *insert crapton of kings of arnor, gondor, and arthedain here* of isildur son of elendil son of *insert kings of andunie and numenor here* son of elros son of earandil and elwing

I am Lothar, of the Hill People.
  • May I go bowling with you guys?

537714d921e9aaabdd55f1c75b38acba--comic-superman-superman-party.jpg