To War (infantry) reversion

in PvE activating 'Steel Sharpens Steel' properly changes To War into the infantry variant. At the conclusion of any particular encounter, the ability, if unused reverts back to artillery. The same does not occur to the Cavalry variant. One or the other is probably bugged, I suspect the infantry.
Tagged:

Comments

• JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Is something causing Valkin to perform a basic attack? Basic attacks revert it to Artillery. If he doesn’t use To War immediately after SSS, it will become Artillery. Unless of course he uses Tooth and Nail, which will change it to Cavalry.

Any hero that can cause him to attack between using SSS and his next turn will also reset it. If Kai granted him Pumped and he Revenge-attacked, or if you had Zen and he died and he avenged the killer, anything like that would reset it.

If what you’re saying is that he used SSS, and nothing caused him to attack between SSS’s use and his next turn, and it still reset to Artillery, then yes. It’s a bug. I just wanna make sure because we’ve had a couple posts like this before, and it’s been resolved by finding out Valkin attacked between turns.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    ^This is likely what is happening. I just checked and the abilities seem to be working consistently.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • If this is working correctly, then that's one of the reasons I don't care for Valkin. One of his best abilities - To War (Infantry) rarely gets used because it seems it keeps being reset.

kalamadea wrote: »
    If this is working correctly, then that's one of the reasons I don't care for Valkin. One of his best abilities - To War (Infantry) rarely gets used because it seems it keeps being reset.

Just put him on a team where nothing will be likely to reset his attacks. Don’t bring Kai or Zen. Maybe also bring a hero who can restore energy reliably like Indigo, Ekko or Dagrund to keep his abilities flowing.

I personally like Indigo because her Crits give energy. Then Valkin’s SSS will give her more Crit, which equals more energy, which equals another SSS. In theory, you can have your team’s Attack and Crit up at all times, and grant Haste every couple of turns.
  • I've had Valkin on my Pvp defense for ages, so I know for sure that the infantry never happens. In Round 1, Valkin uses his 'To war (artillery)'. In Round 2, he uses his "steel sharpens steel". His "to war (infantry)" doesn't follow automatically; it takes another round to activate that button. Unfortunately, for the infantry to be triggered, pvp would need to go back to special skill button 1. It doesn't do that, however. As we all know, it moves forward. So in round 3, we get special skill button 3, i.e. "Tooth and Nail". Round 4 then jumps back to button 1, giving you the ice wolves (can't remember what it's called).

I can't remember games with more rounds, they would be rare in any case..... But unless you have someone like Ekko adding energy, and playing lots of rounds, you'll probably never see Valkin's infantry..... at least in defense.

And really a shame too. I agree, his infantry is his best skill..... Makes him my favorite and most used hero in pve. Wished it was possible in pvp, too.
    I've had Valkin on my Pvp defense for ages, so I know for sure that the infantry never happens. In Round 1, Valkin uses his 'To war (artillery)'. In Round 2, he uses his "steel sharpens steel". His "to war (infantry)" doesn't follow automatically; it takes another round to activate that button. Unfortunately, for the infantry to be triggered, pvp would need to go back to special skill button 1. It doesn't do that, however. As we all know, it moves forward. So in round 3, we get special skill button 3, i.e. "Tooth and Nail". Round 4 then jumps back to button 1, giving you the ice wolves (can't remember what it's called).

I can't remember games with more rounds, they would be rare in any case..... But unless you have someone like Ekko adding energy, and playing lots of rounds, you'll probably never see Valkin's infantry..... at least in defense.

And really a shame too. I agree, his infantry is his best skill..... Makes him my favorite and most used hero in pve. Wished it was possible in pvp, too.

Is Valkin's "To War!" ability on a 3-turn timer or a 4-turn? Because if it was on a 4 turn timer, having Ekko would get it to work perfectly. First turn, Valkin uses Artillery. Same turn, Ekko gives him +2 energy. In other words, his To War would have 1 turn left to cool down. Next turn, Valkin uses SSS. Next turn after that, AI sees his "To War" is back up again, and since it likes to use abilities from left-to-right, it would use it.

But I'm pretty sure it's on a 3-turn cooldown so this wouldn't work, if that's the case.
  • I’ve never tested it, but I know there are dungeons where it won't activate at all.

It feels like a fluke with it actually works "right".

• kalamadea wrote: »
    If this is working correctly, then that's one of the reasons I don't care for Valkin. One of his best abilities - To War (Infantry) rarely gets used because it seems it keeps being reset.

Back before i had OP runes, i was able to successfully proc this in Lava Academy almost to the letter to prep the haste going into the final room. Just needs practice I assume.
    www.youtube.com/DarthCraig
    www.twitter.com/Darth_Craig

Are all plugs shameless?
  • I’m sure that was it. Just wasn’t paying enough attention.