Gem Subscription Updates

Comments

• I'd be really interested from an economics perspective, regarding micro vs macro transactions. People have made comments here that the 1% of 'whales' will keep on spending which make up for x amount of revenue...

My instant thoughts would it be better to have 1000 players spending $1 a month than have 10 players spending $100 per month, for example - so as not to alienate the customer base, keep the money rolling in and have everyone perceiving value in their micro transactions.
    ---
    Wasi | The Potato Army
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    I'd be really interested from an economics perspective, regarding micro vs macro transactions. People have made comments here that the 1% of 'whales' will keep on spending which make up for x amount of revenue...

My instant thoughts would it be better to have 1000 players spending $1 a month than have 10 players spending $100 per month, for example - so as not to alienate the customer base, keep the money rolling in and have everyone perceiving value in their micro transactions.

^ This. What’s the point of micro-transactions if they’re not cheap? That’s the point. That’s why we’ve been buying them.

They’re just cutting off their players who only bought that package.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Bovus
    Favorite element: Nature
    Currently: Trying to max out Epics
  • Done spending on DB. shame though, I had bought every month since it was available for the most part, it was a good deal and i didn't mind the low cost good reward. Instead my money went to hawk: freedom squadron this month. But hey..maybe you can talk me into one of those 'great' $100 for 250 token deals lol. Ridiculous.
  • There ALL doing it ... The games mean , I used to play plunder pirates .. I would spend £79 or round abouts that mark a month ... They put there prices of gems bundles up to just ova the last cupla weeks ... The price of big bundle of gems went up to £99......So I quit the game and came ova to this one ..
    But I guess your having the same problems with gems to ... Many long time players from my old game who spent loads of there hard earned cash building up there island quit the game over the last cupla weeks .... It's a shame as the company our ripping off there loyal customers who actually earn them money .... Well that's all I got to say really lol
  • MattCauthronMattCauthron Member
    edited November 2
    I would not even consider purchasing either of these bundles. I have been purchasing the $3 bundle every month since I started playing nearly 2 years ago.

Very odd change to me. I fail to see the logic behind buying either of these ever.

Just to compare to gems I can buy immediately:

Weekend Deal: 34,000 gems for $100. 340 gems per dollar.

Non-Weekend Deal (Who would ever buy this anymore. You'd have to be crazy or misinformed): 17,000 gems for $100. 170 gems per dollar.

New long term bundle. 2,200 gem for $15. 147 gems per dollar.

What...?

Old Deal: 1500 gems for $3. 500 gems per dollar < Value.

I think it's pretty clear how silly these changes were.
  • MonkeyHunterMonkeyHunter Member
    edited November 2
    VIP 1 requires 24 points. At 8 points per $1 the $3 gem purchase unlocks VIP 1 benefits and provides a jumping off point for potential spenders. Now, nothing in the shop is available for less than $5.

The cheapest gem purchase in the store is $5 for ~300 gems, MUCH worse than $3 for 1500.

Moreover, DB is giving up a psychological sales tactic: Foot-in-the-Technique: get players to spend a little to open up their wallets for big purchases down he road. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-in-the-door_technique

Edit: 8pts/$
    Post edited by MonkeyHunter on
  • VIP 1 requires 24 points. At $1/point the $3 gem purchase unlocks VIP 1 benefits and provides a jumping off point for potential spenders. Now, nothing in the shop is available for less than $5.

The cheapest gem purchase in the store is $5 for ~300 gems, MUCH worse than $3 for 1500.

Moreover, DB is giving up a psychological sales tactic: Foot-in-the-Technique: get players to spend a little to open up their wallets for big purchases down he road. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot-in-the-door_technique

Just a small correction, but you get 8 points per $1, which you are right that the $3 unlocks VIP 1, but your text said $1/point.
  • kalamadeakalamadea Member
    edited November 2
    VIP 1 requires 24 points. At $1/point the $3 gem purchase unlocks VIP 1 benefits and provides a jumping off point for potential spenders. Now, nothing in the shop is available for less than $5.

^This.

I had never spent money on a mobile game before. I saw the $3 for 50 gems a day and though "well, 3 bucks is really worth it" -- now I'm a little embarrassed to be VIP 9 - but for the most part I've really enjoyed the game and have been glad to support it with money from time to time.

I hope they bring it back.

• RexobRexob Member
    Even as a VIP10 - I don't see any reason to buy either of these. I've been a long time purchaser of $2.99 for 50 daily gems, but the new bundles don't seem worth it.
    IGN & Line: N00BST4R
    Mauling Ogres Lv70
  • w65x0uglixsg.png
    ---
    Wasi | The Potato Army
  • farfellafarfella Member
    edited November 3
    Also don't kill the deal that lays gems.
    Awesome Farfella guy up there was created by jackhallow666^!!!
    Also, go gorgons!
  • I would guess Dungeon Boss will revert this change. MANY MANY players all subscribed to the $2.99 gem deal and I don't know of a single player who has even considered purchasing the new replacement deals they have in place. Once the Monthly Financial Report comes in showing this is a net loss change ... I would anticipate the old deal returning.
  • Well, they may have concluded that they don't make enough money on the $2.99 deal, so by creating a replacement that has such bad value, perhaps they are just hoping people will buy bulk gems instead. Time will tell I suppose.
  • Or humorously, it may go the other way entirely.

People may learn to live without and realize that they're fine without purchasing additional gems and not bother resuming their monthly $3 purchase once the package returns. So people who reflexively paid their $3 monthly because they've always done it just became completely F2P.

Time will tell...
  • Evil_SpiritsEvil_Spirits Unconfirmed, Member
    but now there's 2 gem packs to sub too and you get more gems at a faster rate. seems worth it to me. guess I'm still a fan of the game
  • They should have just kept the 50 gem / 30 day pack in the shop as well as introducing the new fast track gems... simple.
    ---
    Wasi | The Potato Army
  • FatCat69 wrote: »
    Or humorously, it may go the other way entirely.

People may learn to live without and realize that they're fine without purchasing additional gems and not bother resuming their monthly $3 purchase once the package returns. So people who reflexively paid their $3 monthly because they've always done it just became completely F2P.

Time will tell...

I think that's the truth, FatCat. I have a self-imposed monthly gaming budget, and my $3 a month is now allocated to a rival game. Even if DB decide to bring the $3 package back, I don't have $3 to spend on it anymore.
  • Suicide marketing strategy. @Joel if you want to survive you have to create a large base freemium subscribers (and that package was in that direction) instead of counting on the minority of people who spent lots of money, that will be always less.
    More...I can tell you that there is no sense in spending 11 € to get 2.000 gems in 10 days if I can get 2.380 immediately for the same price as a Vip 10 (from VIP 7 you get 1.960)...and probably only big spenders could be interested in that absurd package.
    You should fire your marketing strategist and change all package styles, because lots of them are nonsense (i.e.:
    39 € for 50 tokens of kai or Igorok and some less important materials????? are you serious?????
    Also rune packages are ridiculous and whoever bought it I can tell you that won't do it another time.
    Most of the prices are not balanced and this policy won't let you go far.
    Please listen to your base suggestions because we all keep this game alive.
  • @Joel Are you serious? These offers are ridiculous compared to the other ones, not to talk about the other absurd changes regarding daily gems from events, prices of objects, etc. etc.
    Do you really think that this will make you earn more money?
    I think it's time for the players to organize a concrete form of protest (non more $ until you start to stop this suicide marketing strategy)

n9rq4t2qv79i.jpg
  • Pardon wrote: »
    @Joel Are you serious? These offers are ridiculous compared to the other ones, not to talk about the other absurd changes regarding daily gems from events, prices of objects, etc. etc.
    I think it's time for the players to organize a concrete form of protest (non more $ until you start to stop this suicide marketing strategy)

n9rq4t2qv79i.jpg

I've never looked at different currencies for pricing in games but to me it seems they used the wrong FX rate unless their are other fees. For that same item it is 9.99 USD. EUR equivalent should be around 8.60 EUR (assuming .86 EUR for 1 USD)
    The EMPIRE :: The Aegis of Athena
    KuK1uXt.png
  • Drocas wrote: »
    Pardon wrote: »
    @Joel Are you serious? These offers are ridiculous compared to the other ones, not to talk about the other absurd changes regarding daily gems from events, prices of objects, etc. etc.

n9rq4t2qv79i.jpg

I've never looked at different currencies for pricing in games but to me it seems they used the wrong FX rate unless their are other fees. For that same item it is 9.99 USD. EUR equivalent should be around 8.60 EUR (assuming .86 EUR for 1 USD)

Prices for europe currency has always been higher compared to other countries accros different games. They assume we have more to spend on games. but we still have standards and increasing your prices by 20/30% is not the way 2 go.
  • Drocas wrote: »
    Pardon wrote: »

n9rq4t2qv79i.jpg

Prices for europe currency has always been higher compared to other countries accros different games. They assume we have more to spend on games. but we still have standards and increasing your prices by 20/30% is not the way 2 go.

My guess is that there are different taxes charged in different countries. The base price (accounting for translation) is likely the same.
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    We set our prices in USD, and regional app stores convert prices to those prices in different regions based on exchange rates, taxes, and other factors, but we do not set different prices for different regions.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • Wipeout2142Wipeout2142 Member
    edited November 9
    You can work around the euros and still pay in USD if you like :) @Pardon

• gl4bornit3et.jpg
    Awesome Farfella guy up there was created by jackhallow666^!!!
    Also, go gorgons!
  • StaufenbergStaufenberg Member
    edited November 10
    @Joel I've created an account on the forum just to comment on this issue.

Like many others this was the only mobile game I put money into.

Like many others the 30 day subscription seemed a reasonable amount; almost more a thank you to the developers than an in game boost.

Like many others I will not be putting any more money into the game. A real shame.

Why not reinstate the old packages and keep the new ones too? Let the customer choose. I'm pretty sure you'll be losing more money from the loss of the existing 30 day subs than you'll be gaining from the new.

Edit: customers don't like feeling as if they're being ripped off. This feels exactly like that

• Bring back the $2.99 gems!
    Stop demoralizing your community!
  • Made this suggestion elsewhere, if you want us to spend $10 that's fine but make it still 30 days and worthwhile.

Even if you nerfed the value by 25-30% from the old version that would still be around 3750 gems.

Basically making the game semi-subscription based.
  • In a couple of weeks we'll get an announcement 'we've listened to your feedback, thoughts and comments and decided to bring back the 50 gems daily!'

(in other words, revenue has decreased as no one is buying the new packs and we've lost our existing revenue stream).
    ---
    Wasi | The Potato Army