Is there a guide to farming materials?

Best dungeons for which mats, that sort of thing?

If it exists, where is it?

Comments

• This seems video-worthy...
    www.youtube.com/DarthCraig
    www.twitter.com/Darth_Craig

Are all plugs shameless?
  • Actually is seems spreadsheet worthy...

Get to it @foozle! Joking lol. I would watch that vid @ckall056. Make it! Now!
    Awesome Farfella guy up there was created by jackhallow666^!!!
    Also, go gorgons!
  • It's really not that hard.

For crystals and plants, do the highest normal mode level that drops the mat that you want.
    For raw and metals, do the highest challenge mode level that drops the mat that you want.
    Never do boss mode for mats.
    If event dungeons drop mats, they are usually better than regular campaign dungeons.

I believe chapter 17 is the cutoff. Any stage from chapter 17 onward has the potential to drop the maximum number of each mat (up to 3 crystal, 6 plant, 3 metal, or 2 raw). The exact number of mats are still RNG based and you will undoubtedly notice patterns that may make you think that one stage is better than another. However, over time, they should all give similar returns per loot key.

Earlier than chapter 17 and the max is something like 2 crystal, 4 plant, 2 metal, 1 raw.

Anybody seen anything different?
  • NullNull Member
    I've contemplated making this post in the past but my feeling is that if there are any dungeons that give more mats or higher rates and we make it public here it will quickly get "fixed" into oblivion
  • I don’t think
    echonap wrote: »
    It's really not that hard.

For crystals and plants, do the highest normal mode level that drops the mat that you want.
    For raw and metals, do the highest challenge mode level that drops the mat that you want.
    If event dungeons drop mats, they are usually better than regular campaign dungeons.

I believe chapter 17 is the cutoff. Any stage from chapter 17 onward has the potential to drop the maximum number of each mat (up to 3 crystal, 6 plant, 3 metal, or 2 raw). The exact number of mats are still RNG based and you will undoubtedly notice patterns that may make you think that one stage is better than another. However, over time, they should all give similar returns per loot key.

Earlier than chapter 17 and the max is something like 2 crystal, 4 plant, 2 metal, 1 raw.

Nope. That's a great summary.

Now that they removed materials from Boss Island, there really isn't any place that's GREAT to run to get them incidentally.

The only thing to note is the token that you get (more aether?) and how difficult it is to actually run the dungeon. For example, I use Normal Mode 19-2 when 3x is live to collect Mandrake Root because it's the quickest/easiest dark forest dungeon to run.
  • Ok.
    I thought i'd seen people recommend certain levels before.

...I never really needed to farm materials before, events used to supply enough to match my upgrade pace.

• I just go to the craft mats section, click on an essence or etched bar then the mat I need and quick loot / spam all the dungeons that way.

Pick up the hero token / aether then move to the next dungeon.
    ---
    Wasi | The Potato Army
  • echonap wrote: »
    It's really not that hard.

Good summary and @echonap advice is good in terms of where to run for what. The only slight difference I saw was that max materials (at least in normal mode) dropped in Chapter 16 as well, so that might be the cutoff). I did an analysis a while back, but the rates are probably still valid (posted below). I've never analyzed event dungeons because they vary so much between event.

As was mentioned, Boss mode is the worst for drops, mainly because they include Tomes, which everyone generally has too much of, so a worthless drop. Would be nice if they boosted the normal materials a bit to at least make Boss Mode on par with the other modes.

n0xw4xbqzy3x.jpg
  • @Foozle If I'm reading this correctly - This says if I spent 100 stamina, I should end up with 8 raw material? Or is that a 40% chance I will find 1 to 3 raw material?
  • @Foozle If I'm reading this correctly - This says if I spent 100 stamina, I should end up with 8 raw material? Or is that a 40% chance I will find 1 to 3 raw material?

The way I'm reading it is each run of the dungeon will produce .4 material, so yes over 100 stamina (20 runs), you will get on average, 8 materials.

Unfortunately it would be 8 materials for 100 stamina. You can math it out as well and come up with similar results as follows: Chance of materials versus runes in Challenge mode is roughly 50%. If you get materials, you can get either 0, 1 or 2 raw materials, for an average of 1. Take the average of 1 multiplied by the 50% chance and you get an expectation of .5. My averages showed .44 (rounded to .4) for the chart above. The difference between my .44 and the calculated .5 could either be sampling error (I did this over only 360 runs) or they may skew the chances a bit between 0, 1 and 2 dropped materials.

Bottom line is that unless you are 3x or 6x drop rates, farming dungeons is a slow way to get any materials.
  • now who's laughing at all my dungeon runs!
    The EMPIRE :: The Aegis of Athena
    KuK1uXt.png
  • Foozle wrote: »
    farming dungeons is a slow way to get any materials.

Exactly, there is no good way to farm materials now. And they keep asking for the same 4-5 materials for almost everything.
  • Foozle wrote: »
    Bottom line is that unless you are 3x or 6x drop rates, farming dungeons is a slow way to get any materials.

I'm thinking those are a thing of the past.

Maybe if we're lucky we see them during thanksgiving or xmas, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Hence my deciding to just go ahead and brute force my way through for whatever materials I can get.

• danac wrote: »
    Foozle wrote: »

I'm thinking those are a thing of the past.

Maybe if we're lucky we see them during thanksgiving or xmas, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Hence my deciding to just go ahead and brute force my way through for whatever materials I can get.

Probably right about that. Even if they do for Christmas again, I'm wondering how much they will increase the cost of the gold keys this time around.