Dungeon Boss fan fiction

CrystlDragonCrystlDragon Member
edited November 2017 in Community Creations
Could you guys post some links to DB fics that you read, even if they’re not on this forum? I’m asking to make sure there aren’t any gems I’ve missed, and also to have a compilation of sorts to make it easier for all of us to find DB fanfiction.
Tagged:

Comments

• HollandOrcHollandOrc Member
    edited November 2017
    a while ago i created some not-too-great fan fiction on my Deviantart account. the idea was for an alternate universe in which the Beasts had a humanoid hybrid body.
    i don't think that the Monster trait even existed back then.

if you would be interested, here's the list of roles i envisioned for a bunch of the heroes. i have never been back to it.
    https://kingofwarlocks.deviantart.com/art/Dungeon-Boss-OAU-Personalities-and-Roles-638036457

i also have an actual small story taking place in this alternate universe, taking place in an oriental restaurant run by a few of the eastern-themed heroes like Yoko and Takumi. I have never been back to that story either.

I would appreciate it if somebody were to give me some feedback on these ideas if they'd like to.
  • Was planning on doing a full series fan comic for DB, but I'm still working out the plot for it and I've been super busy lately, so who knows if it will ever come to fruition.
    Beware dirt everywhere of your doom, for I am Life Reaper Broom
  • Was planning on doing a full series fan comic for DB, but I'm still working out the plot for it and I've been super busy lately, so who knows if it will ever come to fruition.

i hope you'll soon get to it. I wish you good luck with it either way!

also, do you have a new avatar icon? i quite like it.

• Thanks, its not so much as a new one as it is a remaster, the old one was super sloppy because I didn't use layers so the coloring was hair-pulling.
  • Thanks, its not so much as a new one as it is a remaster, the old one was super sloppy because I didn't use layers so the coloring was hair-pulling.

yikes. i don't have too much experience with good coloring yet myself, but that sure sounds maddening.
  • HollandOrc wrote: »
    a while ago i created some not-too-great fan fiction on my Deviantart account. the idea was for an alternate universe in which the Beasts had a humanoid hybrid body.

if you would be interested, here's the list of roles i envisioned for a bunch of the heroes. i have never been back to it.
    https://kingofwarlocks.deviantart.com/art/Dungeon-Boss-OAU-Personalities-and-Roles-638036457

i also have an actual small story taking place in this alternate universe, taking place in an oriental restaurant run by a few of the eastern-themed heroes like Yoko and Takumi. I have never been back to that story either.

I would appreciate it if somebody were to give me some feedback on these ideas if they'd like to.

I don’t know how good my own writing is, but I’ll try giving you some constructive criticism the next few days. I could PM you or post it here. We could have a mini brainstorming session.

Writing a full series is hard enough already, so drawing AND writing a series is probably even harder. My suggestion would be to start small, with a one shot. I can help you flesh out the plot, as I’m currently working on a written oneshot myself, and could draw some inspiration from there, if needed. Sometimes, stand-alone stories can have as much of an impact as a full length series.
  • HollandOrc wrote: »

I don’t know how good my own writing is, but I’ll try giving you some constructive criticism the next few days. I could PM you or post it here. We could have a mini brainstorming session.

i wouldn't mind if we talked in this thread. Thank you in advance for the criticism :)

• @HollandOrc, the work you sent me was more of a concept than a fanfiction. That said, I found it to be very creative, mostly due to the backstories. Personally, I liked the descriptions for the non beast characters more, because of how different each concept was (ghosts, nurses, ex-mercenaries). The backstory for the beasts seems to be somewhat monopolized by their status as a gang, as in we get way less backstory on some of the beasts than we do on the humans/ghosts/undead/etc.
    I also couldn’t connect with the punk/pagan concept of some of the beasts, especially Lupina, but that’s dictated by my personal principles and taste, so it’s not really something that i find relevant regarding your writing skills.
    What I’d recommend is looking for some really well written short stories, fics or books, and trying to get a feel of the way the plot is built. I could give you some links of stuff I found really great, but then again, it’s probably a matter of personal taste, and I don’t know if you’ll like the theme/fandom (unless you’re into Miraculous Ladybug or Marvel).
    If you could also send me your most recent work, I could give it a once over (from what you told me, this story was written a while back), and analyze the way you flesh out your plot, as the sample you gave me doesn’t tell me much about your writing style (I usually look at how a story is narrated).

A key element in writing (in my opinion), is to just keep going. You should gradually improve, (though I think reading other good works also plays a very important part) and develop your skills as a writer. I hope to hear from you soon. :)
  • @HollandOrc, the work you sent me was more of a concept than a fanfiction. That said, I found it to be very creative, mostly due to the backstories. Personally, I liked the descriptions for the non beast characters more, because of how different each concept was (ghosts, nurses, ex-mercenaries). The backstory for the beasts seems to be somewhat monopolized by their status as a gang, as in we get way less backstory on some of the beasts than we do on the humans/ghosts/undead/etc.
    I also couldn’t connect with the punk/pagan concept of some of the beasts, especially Lupina, but that’s dictated by my personal principles and taste, so it’s not really something that i find relevant regarding your writing skills.
    What I’d recommend is looking for some really well written short stories, fics or books, and trying to get a feel of the way the plot is built. I could give you some links of stuff I found really great, but then again, it’s probably a matter of personal taste, and I don’t know if you’ll like the theme/fandom (unless you’re into Miraculous Ladybug or Marvel).
    If you could also send me your most recent work, I could give it a once over (from what you told me, this story was written a while back), and analyze the way you flesh out your plot, as the sample you gave me doesn’t tell me much about your writing style (I usually look at how a story is narrated).

A key element in writing (in my opinion), is to just keep going. You should gradually improve, (though I think reading other good works also plays a very important part) and develop your skills as a writer. I hope to hear from you soon. :)

thank you a lot for the criticism. i'm glad that you think it's creative.
    i agree that in retrospect the Beasts have less information to them than the others. I tried to make this concept tie in as much with the lore of Dungeon Boss characters and the lore in general, and based every possible thing on actual info of the character.
    The idea for the beasts being in gangs came from the fact that many of these animals live in groups, packs or something along the line. I thought it would be most fitting for them.

Thank you again for offering me this! i personally am not at all into Miraculous Ladybug (i barely know anything of it), and i'm a casual Marvel fan in the sense that i like the heroes, but am not great into the lore spare for some background information on heroes like Iron Man, Thor, the Guardians of the Galaxy and my personal favorite Spider-Man and most of his villains. I don't remember the last time i've read another person's fan fiction to be honest, even though i am currently heavily into the Rayman series and creating rather grand (not saying they're directly great, too) stories with a lot of characters. Even at this moment i'm busy with another character for it that has been on my mind for quite a while, but i've never drawn her out fully.

ere ya go, mate: https://kingofwarlocks.deviantart.com/art/Dungeon-Boss-OAU-Story-1-meeting-them-again-642166655
    This is my most recent (and only) story taking place in this alternate universe for the Dungeon Boss characters. Some traits of the characters that are named here may be different than nowadays, since it was written about a year ago. And i put in the latest part for a bit of comic relief, and because Yorick was at the time, and still is one of my favorite heroes.

Thank you for the reply and the constructive criticism, and i too hope to hear from you soon :)
  • @HollandOrc That was pretty well written, I don't believe you mentioned any experience writing fiction in general (aside from the layout of the au itself of course) so for a first, good on you! :)
  • @HollandOrc That was pretty well written, I don't believe you mentioned any experience writing fiction in general (aside from the layout of the au itself of course) so for a first, good on you! :)

Thanks a lot! really, it makes makes me happy that you think it's alright for a first time!
    if i may ask, what do you think could be better about it?
  • The story has a very Pilot episode feel about it, which is definitely a good thing, the characters and setting are established quickly, along with the current positions of said characters. The characters are really well established, but I'm just a little confused about the exact theme of this AU, I was first thinking of a bladerunner/necromunda cyberpunk kind of thing, but then you mentioned forests and Pignius the truckdriver and I was a bit thrown off (I believe this is more of the personalities page's fault as the whole rival gang/ Commissioner William thing kinda got me thinking of said cyberpunk settings). The characters are likable for the most part, and the humor was pretty good. Black Diamond I think would have been a better show, don't tell kinda thing, a bunch of people talking about how mad BD is would not have been as effective as having her there and expressing it herself.
    There were a few grammar and spelling errors, but the noticeable ones were few and far between and I can't find them reviewing the story again. There were a few outdated things like Mangle jaw being a beast and Yorick having rouge defense, but that's clearly because this was written about a year ago and mangle jaw can't really be treated as a monster without changing his relation to Lupina.
    I'm not the best at writing myself, but those are my two cents on the story. Its really good for a first attempt and with experience you can only get better. I hope these pointers help.
  • The story has a very Pilot episode feel about it, which is definitely a good thing, the characters and setting are established quickly, along with the current positions of said characters. The characters are really well established, but I'm just a little confused about the exact theme of this AU, I was first thinking of a bladerunner/necromunda cyberpunk kind of thing, but then you mentioned forests and Pignius the truckdriver and I was a bit thrown off (I believe this is more of the personalities page's fault as the whole rival gang/ Commissioner William thing kinda got me thinking of said cyberpunk settings). The characters are likable for the most part, and the humor was pretty good. Black Diamond I think would have been a better show, don't tell kinda thing, a bunch of people talking about how mad BD is would not have been as effective as having her there and expressing it herself.
    There were a few grammar and spelling errors, but the noticeable ones were few and far between and I can't find them reviewing the story again. There were a few outdated things like Mangle jaw being a beast and Yorick having rouge defense, but that's clearly because this was written about a year ago and mangle jaw can't really be treated as a monster without changing his relation to Lupina.
    I'm not the best at writing myself, but those are my two cents on the story. Its really good for a first attempt and with experience you can only get better. I hope these pointers help.

I'm happy that these are the first good points to the story. I'll most certainly keep this in my head for future stories like these! I mostly look for advice on how to draw things rather than writing stories, so i'll gladly take any tips and such for writing!
    I know practically nothing about Blade Runner and Necromunda, I only know people like Blade Runner and i've never heard of Necromunda, and i don't have much experience with Cyberpunk settings either- i barely know the basics of it. I tried to make it a normal urban setting that felt like it was taking place in a small European city with some old buildings from medieval times, but much more modern buildings. Just a normal little city.
    But now that you have mentioned it, it may be interesting to look some more into Cyberpunk and give the story more such elements! thanks for saying it.
    Happy that you think the characters are alright for the most part. Since the heroes don't really have much information about them in-game, i tried to scramble together whatever info i could find about them and used them to create personalities that i thought would fit them most. And i'm also happy that you liked the humor- i feared that the part with Yorick and Nimriel might have been intrusive and unnecessary.
    Good to know about the part where the character in question that has had a troubled history stays silent is more effective than simply talking about it. I'll definitely keep that part in my head.
    I expected these parts to come up. I don't really know what to do regarding the traits they had a year ago-- if the traits of the heroes keep changing, making good stories about them might prove a bit hard since i don't remember what traits all characters had a year ago.

I want you to know that i really, really appreciate all the feedback you give me. I am very happy that you take the time to sit down and write detailed replies and good criticism, and i take it all to heart. Thank you for the tips, criticism and feedback, and i'll have it with me whenever i'm writing stories like this again.
    Thank you :)