Nightmare Before Winterfest!

Comments

• iphonesheepiphonesheep Member
    edited December 2017
    Joel wrote: »
    shiggity80 wrote: »
    Will you guys have new skins available again for 2,500 wreaths (or was it 4,000) or $3.99 like you did Christmas 2015? If so that'd be awesome (and you guys probably would see a lot of money coming in).

Exact prices haven't been set yet, but there will be plenty of skins, both new and old. Also, one of the new skins is easily among my all-time favorites.

Joveth clenchjaw?

@Joel may we be assured there will be enough content to keep us entertained throughout the event, and may we also be assured that there won't be a day x , don't forget to do yesterday's quest! Type of thing again?
  • Joel wrote: »
    Joveth clenchjaw?

@Joel may we be assured there will be enough content to keep us entertained throughout the event, and may we also be assured that there won't be a day x , don't forget to do yesterday's quest! Type of thing again?

No Joveth Clenchjaw, but it's a good pun.

I can never realistically assure you that there will be enough content to keep players entertained because it's an inherently nebulous concept. What may be enough to keep some players entertained might not be nearly enough for you, and what would be not enough for some players could be completely overwhelming for others. It's a difficult balance, and almost impossible to have something that keeps everyone exactly as entertained as they want to be if you don't count grinding.

What I will say is that we've designed each day to have 2 quests (not including repeatable quests) which is less than we have on average because we didn't want to overwhelm players during a time of year that many people travel and spend time with loved ones. We ran a Guild Games event earlier this year over Father's Day and got a good amount of commentary on not running intense events during holidays. Obviously, a full fledged Guild Games is going to be much more time intensive than any non-competitive guild event, but we still want to be thoughtful during what is a very special time of year for many people. There's stuff to do every day, multiple event dungeons, and wreaths will be available all over the game, just as candy corn is, so there will be plenty to grind for if you want to, but we didn't want to stress people out with a ton of quests or a more intense guild event.

For what it's worth, I can assure you that none of the quests rely on quests from another day.

This sounds good, I understand the activity balancing. I just hope there is something in the shop for end gamers.
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Joel wrote: »
    Joveth clenchjaw?

I can never realistically assure you that there will be enough content to keep players entertained because it's an inherently nebulous concept. What may be enough to keep some players entertained might not be nearly enough for you, and what would be not enough for some players could be completely overwhelming for others. It's a difficult balance, and almost impossible to have something that keeps everyone exactly as entertained as they want to be if you don't count grinding.

What I will say is that we've designed each day to have 2 quests (not including repeatable quests) which is less than we have on average because we didn't want to overwhelm players during a time of year that many people travel and spend time with loved ones. We ran a Guild Games event earlier this year over Father's Day and got a good amount of commentary on not running intense events during holidays. Obviously, a full fledged Guild Games is going to be much more time intensive than any non-competitive guild event, but we still want to be thoughtful during what is a very special time of year for many people. There's stuff to do every day, multiple event dungeons, and wreaths will be available all over the game, just as candy corn is, so there will be plenty to grind for if you want to, but we didn't want to stress people out with a ton of quests or a more intense guild event.

For what it's worth, I can assure you that none of the quests rely on quests from another day.

This sounds good, I understand the activity balancing. I just hope there is something in the shop for end gamers.

What is it exactly end-gamers want? I always see, 'end-game content', but outside of PvE levels, nobody seems to ever specify. I'd imagine if they added some amazing Superior Runes or a new hero, the end-gamers would just have it all instantly, and the 'end-game' would just be pushed back a little.

Honestly, outside of new skins, I can't imagine they could come up with anything end-gamers don't already have. But, nonetheless, I'm hopeful they have something for everyone.
    Level: 70
    Favorite hero: Hansuke
    Currently: Waiting for new PvE content and the PvP revamp.
  • @Joel - I can certainly understand wanting to limit content over a holday - but may I suggest that such a multi-day as this is much different than a 1 or 2 day holiday?

One possible solution I hope you have considered is to place some content in the event that can be done on any day (in addition to the X releases per day) so people can have that content available to them at their own pace?

Will Merriment be available for purchase with wreaths or will it be only for $$$?
    Joveth clenchjaw?

What is it exactly end-gamers want?

@JackHallow666
    Superior runes, essessences, bars, jewels, spirits, ancient materials, corrupted hearts, rare tokens(read Marrow, Solaris). You can make them expensive and/or limit quantities.

It would AMAZING if they offered 5 Nature Bars one event, 5 Marrow tokens next, a corrupted heart the next.

In terms of end game content, release some of the boss invasion dungeons. Make the reward a guaranteed bar, jewel or spirit and only 1 completion/day.

This would relatively simple to implement and would make a lot of end-gamers happier.
    Joveth clenchjaw?

What is it exactly end-gamers want?

@JackHallow666
    Superior runes, essessences, bars, jewels, spirits, ancient materials, corrupted hearts, rare tokens(read Marrow, Solaris). You can make them expensive and/or limit quantities.

It would AMAZING if they offered 5 Nature Bars one event, 5 Marrow tokens next, a corrupted heart the next.

In terms of end game content, release some of the boss invasion dungeons. Make the reward a guaranteed bar, jewel or spirit and only 1 completion/day.

This would relatively simple to implement and would make a lot of end-gamers happier.

Another thing to add to This is actually challenging event dungeons, not facerolling on auto with the pretty much same set of heroes
  • a new hero eh?

maybe some dwarf changes ;)?
    We understand that this is a time for people to be with their loved ones, and while there will be new quests every day, we didn't want this event to feel like a big commitment. :)

And I wanted the latter to counter the former.
    We will have the advent calendar door system like last year, and there will be wreaths (tickets) like last year, but all of the doors and quests have been changed. There will also be a minor guild event along the lines of Haunted Halls/Nightmare Before Winterfest, but nothing super intense. We understand that this is a time for people to be with their loved ones, and while there will be new quests every day, we didn't want this event to feel like a big commitment. :)

Expect snow and merriment!

Does that mean the same high cost to do all the doors like it was last year?

The cost last year was high somewhere in the $200 range if I recall if you wanted to open enough doors to 6* Grog Gnog, that wasn't all the doors, had to be careful to pick and choose. Spending $200 to play a game I've already invested ridiculous amounts in is beyond me. I played WOW for over 6 years with subscription and the occasional purchase, played more, did more, had more fun, and it was a much more social game and didn't spend close to the amount I have here. Now I understand the two games aren't really comparable and I understand the freemium model and micropurchases. The problem is this game isn't micropurchases, it's macropurchases. Spending a few dollars here and there is one thing. Spending hundreds is something else entirely and as my signature says I'm done with it. If the advent calendar is more reasonable I will consider spending on it again but I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars to do it.
    I can no longer decide from day to day what to think of this game.... and that is frustrating
  • Awesome, DB development team, keep it coming!
  • Except the same as last year price wise. The older skins may be cheaper. My expectations are pretty low, maybe they will surprise us. Maybe
    Will you guys have new skins available again for 2,500 wreaths (or was it 4,000) or $3.99 like you did Christmas 2015? If so that'd be awesome (and you guys probably would see a lot of money coming in).

Exact prices haven't been set yet, but there will be plenty of skins, both new and old. Also, one of the new skins is easily among my all-time favorites.

Looking forward to it!
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    sirtainly wrote: »
    Will Merriment be available for purchase with wreaths or will it be only for $$$?

There will be LOTS of merriment to be purchased with wreaths, I promise! :)
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com

Will we be limited to how much we can buy in the event shop or limited on how many wreaths we can obtain? (outside of spending $ for wreaths)
    Will we be limited to how much we can buy in the event shop or limited on how many wreaths we can obtain? (outside of spending $ for wreaths)

There is no limit to the number of wreaths that can be obtained. Most things in the shop will have a purchase limit, but there will be at least one unlimited purchase so you'll always have something to buy with wreaths. However, buying out everything that has a limit on it would take a truly absurd amount of wreaths.
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    edited December 2017
    @Joel I agree that the holidays are about friends and family, and players shouldn’t feel stuck to their games to not let guilds down and such. Limiting content on say Thanksgiving, or Easter, or Mother’s Day totally makes sense. However, I’d strongly argue that the same strategy is wrongheaded for the Christmas event. People are asking about it because you made that mistake last Christmas, and there were a lot of complaints about it, and now we see it lining up to happen again.

By all means, limit content on Christmas Day and the surrounding few days. But having a multiple-week event during a period when most people are off from work or school and actually have more time to play should demand more content, not less. This was a major issue last Christmas, where people were super excited for the event, and then logged on each day to nothing but a paywall “door” and a quest or two that took 5 minutes of auto-running to complete. We had like 3 weeks of Christmas event where there wasn’t even a game to play the vast majority of the time. Entire days off from work, hanging out around the house, and instead of playing a ton like I was planning (and maybe spending $), I’d log on to find the super-awesome-enjoy-the-event content for the day was “kill 10 dwarves” or whatever and I’d close the game a few minutes later and not come back. It sucked.

This is almost exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks!
  • During winterfest can vip 10s get a merry christmas discount on something? Also thanks for putting stamina and boost packs in the shop
  • Joel is right tho about it being hard to balance what people want during Christmas ...some have a ton of time on their hands to play and others don’t . My wife has to work a ton and my kids will be home and I will have to entertain them so we won’t have much time to play. Others have no work and no school so they will have plenty of time. It’s def a hard balance for them but I think more people have less time to play during Christmas so the majority usually wins. I know that’s def dissapointing for a lot of people but you gota understand that most feedback they have gotten is not to run events during holidays. I def understand the frustration for those who have time to play during Christmas but I also understand their side of it too. I wish there was no guild component to winterfest and wish there was just a individual competition that way people who can’t play during Christmas could opt out and not really miss out on much
  • I wish they'd simply have cont ent that is lite, not too heavy, as @Joel states, 2 new quests a day not including repeatable from day 1 , event dungeons, and a small guild component. Cool. But how about something for the players who can invest time this Christmas?

I had mentioned before, make a difficult and long skin quest trial that rewards one of the holiday skins, make it out of 30 steps. Something , hardcores would love it , everyone who can do it, will.

But then people who can't do it , don't have time, would complain that it was too hard Grindy unrealistic ... or had to spend time family holidays travelling. Either way there would be complaints on exclusive skins or rewards offered behind difficult and time consuming stuff.

I personally want shade debut level of grind dedication quests (killing hundreds of light enemies), and Solaris flyer kills. I also want St Patrick's day tsume dungeon and valentine lady nimriel dungeon difficulties for event dungeons.
  • SO agree. Last year was horrible because the daily quests were literally done in a few minutes. We have ample time on our hands, give us something to do.
  • FatCat69 wrote: »
    SO agree. Last year was horrible because the daily quests were literally done in a few minutes. We have ample time on our hands, give us something to do.

They (DB/Devs) don't want to do anything lol
  • shiggity80 wrote: »
    FatCat69 wrote: »
    SO agree. Last year was horrible because the daily quests were literally done in a few minutes. We have ample time on our hands, give us something to do.

Seems that way , I'm under the impression that the combat revamp is the last bottleneck that is hindering new content / features/ client updates , and we have what seems to be a snails pace.

Months ago, the summit's by eej led me to believe overall they were dedicating a lot of resources to the guild live leaderboard and other backend stuff, this also went hand in hand with boss invasion and grand tourney. They got this all out finally and i did like boss invasion , both iterations. Grand tourney seemed to have potential but fell flat for me because I'm really just waiting for combat revamp. I have hopes it'll reinvigorate pvp , a large portion of the game.

So with the recent summit it was revealed January we should finally be expecting new dungeons to boss mode and a different style of dungeon this will be. That's great, with the words being said of combat revamp soon and close, I really hope January 2018 starts an amazing month towards a climb of making this game relive that spark a lot of us hardcore players once felt.

I really miss coming to the forum and reading the sticky GAME UPDATE PREVIEW : XXXX

• y'knosw

Y'know, it suddenly strikes me - they could have additional simultaneous events and quests (with unrelated rewards if necessary) hat those who don't have time simply don't have to participate in!

Problem Solved! Everyone happy!
  • shiggity80 wrote: »

Seems that way , I'm under the impression that the combat revamp is the last bottleneck that is hindering new content / features/ client updates , and we have what seems to be a snails pace.

Months ago, the summit's by eej led me to believe overall they were dedicating a lot of resources to the guild live leaderboard and other backend stuff, this also went hand in hand with boss invasion and grand tourney. They got this all out finally and i did like boss invasion , both iterations. Grand tourney seemed to have potential but fell flat for me because I'm really just waiting for combat revamp. I have hopes it'll reinvigorate pvp , a large portion of the game.

So with the recent summit it was revealed January we should finally be expecting new dungeons to boss mode and a different style of dungeon this will be. That's great, with the words being said of combat revamp soon and close, I really hope January 2018 starts an amazing month towards a climb of making this game relive that spark a lot of us hardcore players once felt.

I really miss coming to the forum and reading the sticky GAME UPDATE PREVIEW : XXXX

Wasn't that combat revamp supposed to come out in August? At this point, it's never coming out in my opinion. It's going to change so many things that they just don't have the resources to see it through.
    y'knosw

Y'know, it suddenly strikes me - they could have additional simultaneous events and quests (with unrelated rewards if necessary) hat those who don't have time simply don't have to participate in!

Problem Solved! Everyone happy!

That's the idea behind the minor guild event. :)

@Victoria, how many wreaths do I need?
  • VictoriaVictoria Member, Administrator, Moderator, Big Fish
    bvs72 wrote: »

@Victoria, how many wreaths do I need?

@bvs72 I hear 42 is the answer to everything. Maybe try that? :P
    CYts0MKWcAMS4nB.png