Happy 18th Anniversary, Y2K bug!

Remember that time they told us that thing was going to happen after Christmas, and everyone freaked out, but then nothing happened? Ever wonder why they made all that drama for nothing?

Comments

• Amazing that anyone remembers that incident. Much ado about nothing.
    I will yeah...Momdukz ™️
  • WasiWasi Member
    I was working for the RACV call centre (in AUS) and the payroll system had a Y2K glitch and we didn't get paid for two weeks :|
    ---
    The Potato Army
  • It may have been over-hyped, but there were many glitches, and many were prevented. Most of them were harmless annoyances that didn't make headlines.

People who monitor critical systems worked to prevent catastrophe and were available to clean up after the expected more minor glitches.

There are computer glitches every day. Heck, at 12:01AM my time New Years eve this past week Comcast's email servers had internal errrors for a short time..probably something with the rollover to the new year.

Stuff happens. During rollover times, we need to keep humans in the loop on mission-critical processes.

We live each day with risks...probably many more risks than people are or want to be aware of. Maybe that's a good thing?
  • danacdanac Member
    It's misguided to think there was an overreaction.
    At the time, people didn't know what would happen.
    In situations like that, it's best to prepare everyone for the worst.

Same thing with snowstorms- you predict 2 inches of snow and get 12, people get pretty darn upset.
    You predict 12 and get 2, people sigh with relief.

• bvs72bvs72 Member
    I remember what was going to happen. It was fake news of someone making up alternative facts.
  • Y2K May have been the beginning of media hype and fake news or the pinnacle of it. The need for the media to start mass hysteria over an everyday insignificant event. Let’s terrorize people into thinking the worst will happen. The end is here! No, nothing changed and we all carried on. Another announcement by sad and miserable people looking for attention. Nice that we can look back and laugh.
    I will yeah...Momdukz ™️
  • farfellafarfella Member
    edited January 6
    Do you guys really have nothing better to do than criticize a mistake that almost happened 18 years ago?
    Awesome Farfella guy up there was created by jackhallow666^!!!
    Also, go gorgons!
  • farfella wrote: »
    Do you guys really have nothing better to do than criticize a mistake that almost happened 18 years ago?

More of marking a milestone. We are old.
    I will yeah...Momdukz ™️
  • farfella wrote: »

Actually there are a wide variety of mistakes across many decades available to criticize.

But seriously, I agree about marking a milestone.

- Not feeling my chronological age, thankfully.
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    I think this thread should retire. However I have a feeling it won’t.
  • Now I'm going to get branded a complainer.
  • danacdanac Member
    well, as of now, we have Lie2k.
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    edited January 11
    danac wrote: »
    well, as of now, we have Lie2k.

That's not a bug, that's a "feature".
  • Thats clearly happening today....