Is Slow leveling still a thing?

So i haven't played the game in around a year, and i remember quitting because i can no longer slow level, which i found really fun. Since i've been out of the loop for some time now, i want to know if slow leveling is still advantageous? or should i just max out my level 35 with MANY MANY maxed star heros?

I just feel like i wasted my time slow leveling my account for so long, and putting so much work into it, only to have it "destroyed" because there's no point to it anymore.
«1

Comments

  • RocksorRocksor Member
    edited January 12
    For those who aren't willing to spend money and are patient enough to do so, some folks still do it. Here's a link to Xandrew29's post who just started in February.

    http://forum.dungeonboss.com/discussion/57683/leveling-up#latest

    Get yourself into a decent guild that can at least get the higher end rewards for PVE based Guild Games, and that gets 210+ crowns a week, and you will see an improvement in your roster. You are going to have to gain exp during the PVE GG, and skip slow levelling during it.

    Also, stars have been made more relevant with increasing stats just a few days ago.
  • You are a victim of fake news. There has always been a point to slow leveling. I slow leveled my first account up to level 70 and now I am slow leveling another account.
  • MaxBeamer wrote: »
    You are a victim of fake news. There has always been a point to slow leveling. I slow leveled my first account up to level 70 and now I am slow leveling another account.

    What is the point of slow levelling within the current state of the game ? I'm genuinely curious
  • MaxBeamer wrote: »
    You are a victim of fake news. There has always been a point to slow leveling. I slow leveled my first account up to level 70 and now I am slow leveling another account.

    What is the point of slow levelling within the current state of the game ? I'm genuinely curious
    Easier tower and greater relative strength to same level PVP opponents.
  • Get to Lvl 70 ASAP!
    Potatoccino Guild - Lvl 72 - VIP 2
    DB Forum: Recent Discussions - http://forum.dungeonboss.com/discussions
  • MaxBeamer wrote: »
    You are a victim of fake news. There has always been a point to slow leveling. I slow leveled my first account up to level 70 and now I am slow leveling another account.

    What is the point of slow levelling within the current state of the game ? I'm genuinely curious
    Easier tower and greater relative strength to same level PVP opponents.

    Uh, PVP opponents aren’t based upon your current level. They’re tied to roster power.
  • Okay I am currently level 45, have made it to legend 1 every single season that PvP has been available to me and have completed the tower every single day since it first became available usually with no heroes dying. Where are the drawbacks? They don’t exist!
  • hit level 30 as fast as you can, and slow level from there, since you need access to improved runes for tower and high end pvp rewards, also, at least theres a small chance you will get access to greater runes, but yes, slow levelling is worth it
    The Great Monk- Key shall protect my dungeon from attacks


    SparkleStarley
  • FatCat69FatCat69 Member
    edited January 13
    Drawbacks?

    You guys have a heart attack every time you play the game, because OH NO!!!! XP!!!!!

    You’re constantly complaining about not having enough XP potions to upgrade your roster because you aren’t playing the game and receiving normal end of level rewards.

    Better not collect those rewards for your daily quests! Because you know, XP!!!!

    Basically, you think you’re making yourself better than your competition, but your competition is being improved based on your roster power, not as a function of your level. So once you’ve starred up the relevant heroes, any effort to hold back your progression in the game is pretty counterproductive and just harming yourself.

    I don’t know about you, but “playing a game” usually involves playing the game, so restricting myself from playing the game and enjoying myself because, you know, XP!!!! is just stupid and counterproductive (especially when there is no longer any tangible benefit to doing so).
  • MaxBeamer wrote: »
    Okay I am currently level 45, have made it to legend 1 every single season that PvP has been available to me and have completed the tower every single day since it first became available usually with no heroes dying. Where are the drawbacks? They don’t exist!

    Had this argument so many times. Not sure how to explain it any differently. But here goes...

    You’re more powerful than other level 45s. That used to mean you face them in pvp and wreck them. PvP isn’t based on level anymore. So, the theoretical person who started at the same time as you, put in the same resources as you, but fast leveled, has now advanced and gotten a roster way beyond yours. They’ve had access to superior runes, top 100 prizes, level locked event dungeons, etc.

    By slow leveling, you will forever be less powerful than if you fast leveled. That was the entire point and tradeoff of slow leveling. More powerful than others at your character level, but less powerful than others at your time investment level. Some people thought the tradeoff was worthwhile, others didn’t, but denying the basic premise of the tradeoff is doing yourself a disservice.

    Think of it this way: if you had chosen to repeat 12th grade until you were 30 years old, you’d always be the smartest in the class, always nail every test, always have the highest gpa. Meanwhile, the people you originally were in school with have all gone to college, graduated, gotten jobs, and built up years of experience. You will forever be behind them in the job market, but you got to enjoy being the best in your 12th grade class for over a decade.
  • First of all I have never had a heart attack playing the game. I play every day.
    I have more than enough xp potions and gold, and always keep every one of my heroes maxed.
    So I don’t claim a few daily quests. It doesn’t hurt me at all.
    If my competition is being improved so much then why am I having so much success? Frankly, the only players that do give me competition are other slow levelers.
    As I said, I play everyday and I am enjoying myself. I also do very well and have kicked **** in every type of guild event there has been.

    So now it’s time for you to come clean @FatCat69, why do you get so upset by slow leveling? Do you work for Big Fish and/or Boss Fight and don’t like that slow levelers don’t have to spend money? I can’t think of any other reason why it would upset you so much, but I am glad it does because you almost always come across as a negative **** here on the forums.
  • Skip_HolmesSkip_Holmes Member
    edited January 13
    Might be speaking for fatcat here, but guessing he generally feels the same way I do:

    I don’t care in the slightest if you want to slow level. Go for it. The infuriating part is that most slow levelers refuse to acknowledge that their choice has made them less powerful overall. It’s like if you encounter someone who keeps insisting that 1+1=3. They are so completely confused and wrong that you can’t help but argue it with them.

    If you want to slow level, and don’t care that it makes you less powerful, than go for it. Just don’t tell people that there are benefits beyond “I enjoy playing this way”, and don’t tell people there are no downsides, because that is objectively wrong and just muddies the water for anyone honestly trying to make a decision about it.
  • I just don’t understand your “less powerful “ argument. There is NOTHING in the game that I don’t handle with ease, so how am I less powerful?
  • Skip_HolmesSkip_Holmes Member
    edited January 13
    MaxBeamer wrote: »
    I just don’t understand your “less powerful “ argument. There is NOTHING in the game that I don’t handle with ease, so how am I less powerful?

    I explained in my post above. But the short version:

    So at level 45 you’ve maxed all your epics? Finished boss mode? Placed in Top 100? Outfitted everyone in superior runes? (answer: of course not)

    If you had leveled normally, you would have. You’re less powerful than you would have been if you played the game normally. The theoretical “you” that fast leveled and opened up those parts of the game would kick the **** out of the “you” that has slow leveled. You’re more powerful than other level 45s. You’re less powerful than other people who have put in the same time and resources as you but didn’t avoid exp.
  • Skip, this is a game not real life. I do this for fun and am in no hurry. Sure, fast levelers get access to things quicker but often can’t take advantage of those things because their rosters are too weak. What fun is that? Do you guys want everyone to get to the endgame so we all can complain that there is nothing to do?
  • li30li30 Member
    I was long time slow lvler, stoped slow lvl since 64, slow lvlers surpass players around their level, but in the long term, they will never catch up with 70 top tier players, especially those on top 100 consistently, Imo in the short and mid term slow leveling has advantanges, but in the long term, there is always a gap there.
  • MaxBeamer wrote: »
    Skip, this is a game not real life. I do this for fun and am in no hurry. Sure, fast levelers get access to things quicker but often can’t take advantage of those things because their rosters are too weak. What fun is that? Do you guys want everyone to get to the endgame so we all can complain that there is nothing to do?

    I disagree with the can’t-take-advantage bit. Especially since the introduction of runes, there really isn’t any “hard” content in the game, even as a free to play fast leveler. You’ll still destroy all the content at level 70.

    But aside from that, the rest of those are perfectly valid reasons to want to slow level! No one is trying to talk you out of it if those are the reasons you’re doing it. Our point was to be clear that the benefits are only for personal enjoyment (not in game power), and the downsides to overall roster power are real. People can make the decision on which side of that line they want to fall on, but only if they have that information. The thread was started by someone asking about the viability of slow leveling, so they should have the full picture to decide.
  • danacdanac Member
    It's not a thing.
    It's more like an invisible woman.
  • FatCat69FatCat69 Member
    edited January 13
    The others here are far kinder than I am and do an infinitely better (less offensive, more detailed) job of explaining the current situation.

    Slow leveling used to have some definite benefits, but it’s really not as useful anymore. The people pushing it are snake oil salesman selling a dream that they’ve convinced themselves is real.

    Definitely be efficient in how you play the game and always find the route to maximum benefit, but don’t deny yourself because you’re worried about leveling up. Keeping your level artificially low is just putting off the inevitable, and preventing you from getting to all of the spoils of war the rest of us are enjoying.
  • FatCat69 wrote: »
    The others here are far kinder than I am and do an infinitely better (less offensive, more detailed) job of explaining the current situation.

    Slow leveling used to have some definite benefits, but it’s really not as useful anymore. The people pushing it are snake oil salesman selling a dream that they’ve convinced themselves is real.

    Definitely be efficient in how you play the game and always find the route to maximum benefit, but don’t deny yourself because you’re worried about leveling up. Keeping your level artificially low is just putting off the inevitable, and preventing you from getting to all of the spoils of war the rest of us are enjoying.

    I can't wait for the new future boss mode dungeons that were said to be different in execution and difficulty. I have a feeling most new content will only go up in terms of end game level, I wonder at what point a slow level would complain they can't play the new content, scale It down, remove level locks ! Etc
  • You would be much better off long term getting to 70 as fast as possible and powering up the few necessary heroes dedicated to the pvp meta.
  • WasiWasi Member
    MaxBeamer wrote: »
    So now it’s time for you to come clean @FatCat69, why do you get so upset by slow leveling? Do you work for Big Fish and/or Boss Fight and don’t like that slow levelers don’t have to spend money? I can’t think of any other reason why it would upset you so much, but I am glad it does because you almost always come across as a negative **** here on the forums.

    Negative towards some aspects of the game, perhaps (as we all are at times) but @FatCat69 is always generally first in line to help someone with a question and reply to a post IMO.

    ---
    The Potato Army
  • DemestenesDemestenes Member
    edited January 15
    Slow leveling gives just ilusion of power. You beat people in PvP that just don't care till 70. It's like beating someone who have rock with AK47. Don't cheat yourself. At 64 big Girls and Boys will find you and steamroll anyway. Most people choose to play with guilds couse without it game have no sense in long run and that you can't do as slow leveler properly.
  • Seems like slow levellers will now almost not play from monday to Tuesday with the new weekly boosts
  • danacdanac Member
    Slow leveling drawbacks: Your account will always be garbage.

    Positives: You'll think it's actually good. Ignorance is bliss?

    That about sums it up.

    Y'all are convincing me to start a new account and slow level.
    My account right now is garbage, and I *know* it is.
  • danac wrote: »
    Slow leveling drawbacks: Your account will always be garbage.

    Positives: You'll think it's actually good. Ignorance is bliss?

    That about sums it up.

    Y'all are convincing me to start a new account and slow level.
    My account right now is garbage, and I *know* it is.

    You'll be missing the ignorance ingredient. It really is key to making it work. Would not advice.
  • new can of worms,

    Is it smart levelling or slow levelling ? Why do some call it smart , what is smart about it? Are the rest of us dumb levelling?

  • danacdanac Member
    new can of worms,

    Is it smart levelling or slow levelling ? Why do some call it smart , what is smart about it? Are the rest of us dumb levelling?

    Me, I'm stable genius leveling.
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.

© 2015 Big Fish Games. Inc., Big Fish, the Big Fish logo, and Dungeon Boss are
trademarks of Big Fish Games, Inc., used with permission www.bigfishgames.com