Thursday Guild Event Initial Details

Comments

• If you suck and your heroes are dying, spending $$ for more courage isn't going to change anything. You'll stick suck, your heroes will die, you won't progress any farther, and you'll just have ended wasting $$ for nothing.

Is it just me or does every event now bring out the "this is a play to win event" whiners?

Potatoccino Guild - Lvl 70
    DB Forum: Recent Discussions - http://forum.dungeonboss.com/discussions
  • shiggity80shiggity80 Member
    edited February 13
    shiggity80 wrote: »
    Well this event was fun while it lasted. A test of skill and strategy was a step in the right direction. Adding unlimited Courage purchases changed it from skill and strategy to instead Pay to Win. Might as well just skip the whole event and add some new runes to the event shop for $1,000 each. Less development time with the same net result. Thanks anyway, call me next week when you introduce a new hero.

The only thing the unlimited courage purchases affect will be the individual leaderboards within a guild. Unless you're dying for that achievement/title, it will not in any way affect you.

That's completely inaccurate. Introducing an event based on one's ability to strategize is very exciting and engaging. Spending time coming up with the best combination of heroes and runes and pushing yourself to see how high of dungeon you can reach and then to be rewarded for your hard work is something special.

Instead we now have run the dungeon. If you die a lot, spend $ and do it again. Do this 1000 times and you are the best. Yeah, that's not exactly engaging and challenging.

No this won't impact my rewards, but since end gamers don't really need any more Corrupted hearts and other repetitive rewards ... it's more about enjoying the game. And Pay to Win events are NOT enjoyable.

Yes, pay to win does suck, I agree. I guess just don't participate then. Or set up an internal guild challenge to see who has the best guild point to dollar spent ratio.
  • dvd54407 wrote: »
    The event went from "strategy required" to "strategy optional, as there's no theoretical limit to runs".

It went from "the entire guild has a finite number of chances to reach max rewards, so use them wisely and collaborate to make the most of each" to "use what runs you get and some people can spend to make up the difference".

There's no risk to bringing the wrong team or failing, neither on an individual level or a guild level. That's what takes the fun out. I'd much rather have a difficult event with limited retries where it's possible that NO GUILD gets the top threshold. Threshold events are fun, and I'm still excited about this new format... but it could be so much more interesting and intriguing if there was risk.

If that kind of playstyle intrigues you, then you are are welcome to set a courage limit within your guild to see how far you can progress. But given the event is not competitive, why should your playstyle of the event be forced upon others?
  • dvd54407 wrote: »
    The event went from "strategy required" to "strategy optional, as there's no theoretical limit to runs".

It went from "the entire guild has a finite number of chances to reach max rewards, so use them wisely and collaborate to make the most of each" to "use what runs you get and some people can spend to make up the difference".

There's no risk to bringing the wrong team or failing, neither on an individual level or a guild level. That's what takes the fun out. I'd much rather have a difficult event with limited retries where it's possible that NO GUILD gets the top threshold. Threshold events are fun, and I'm still excited about this new format... but it could be so much more interesting and intriguing if there was risk.

If that kind of playstyle intrigues you, then you are are welcome to set a courage limit within your guild to see how far you can progress. But given the event is not competitive, why should your playstyle of the event be forced upon others?

You are completely correct. I made an assumption that the majority of players were more interested in engaging gameplay which required deep strategy. I apologize for forcing my playstyle upon the community. In the future I will be more sympathetic to a community who desires events solely focused on spending dollars to be competitive as this is a more desirable type of event.
  • Joel will we be able to use friends hero’s such as emily’s revive for the event?
  • MattCauthronMattCauthron Member
    edited February 14
    @JaxBoomstick

I'm going to bold the relevant part for you. You seem to be missing it :P

"The guild leaderboards will be threshold based (not competitive)"

The engaging gameplay still very much exists. You can min/max to your hearts content in order to see how far you get. Fortunately how well your guild does, or how well any other guild does, has zero impact on each other!
  • Depending on implementation, the fact that dungeons increase in difficulty with every run could mean that unlimited Courage purchases won't entirely overshadow skill and planning (even for the individual competition).

I think this event has the potential to be amazing. I love the concept. And the combination of threshold scoring for guilds and competitive scoring for individuals is great. I hope this becomes the model for future guild event reward schemes (assuming it works as well in practice as it sounds in theory).
  • ScoutYo wrote: »
    Depending on implementation, the fact that dungeons increase in difficulty with every run could mean that unlimited Courage purchases won't entirely overshadow skill and planning (even for the individual competition).

I think this event has the potential to be amazing. I love the concept. And the combination of threshold scoring for guilds and competitive scoring for individuals is great. I hope this becomes the model for future guild event reward schemes (assuming it works as well in practice as it sounds in theory).

Unfortunately, it's already been declared a failure. Might as well not even bother.
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    edited February 14
    Assuming there is enough courage to reach the thresholds without purchasing, it should be passable.

I'm lacking at team strategy compared to many, can only think of say, 2 or maybe 3 teams at most. And, I have absolutely no desire to spend time swapping runes. I expect to do averagely mediocre.

7yh71h3l87hn.png

Post edited by sirtainly on
  • WasiWasi Member
    Can we make the quick loot button larger this time?
    ---
    The Potato Army

• You are completely correct. I made an assumption that the majority of players were more interested in engaging gameplay which required deep strategy. I apologize for forcing my playstyle upon the community. In the future I will be more sympathetic to a community who desires events solely focused on spending dollars to be competitive as this is a more desirable type of event.

It's good that you've learned your lesson.

Watch the rewards be elite runes, especially for individual competition.

bvs72 wrote: »
    Joel wrote: »
    We will not be limiting courage purchases, but that's why the event is threshold based and not competitive.

I am so glad you can buy courage. I never trusted the wizard of Oz.

found the oldies tab on Netflix?

ScoutYo wrote: »
    Depending on implementation, the fact that dungeons increase in difficulty with every run could mean that unlimited Courage purchases won't entirely overshadow skill and planning (even for the individual competition).

the blue guy said the difficultly will reset when you refresh your roster.
  • So does retreat reset guild point bonus? If not, surely bring 3 low HP heroes, use 3 potions, retreat and restart is a valid strategy at the cost of courage?
  • danac wrote: »
    the blue guy said the difficultly will reset when you refresh your roster.

The Guild Point bonus for higher difficulty will reset as well. Hard to know how it will all shake out until we mess around with it ourselves.
  • I'm sure I am missing something, but if money doesn't help you win... and you think spending money is bad... and Pay to Win events are NOT enjoyable... why not just not pay to win? It saves you cash and would be more fun, right?

Seems like a silly thing to complain about. Like saying "I hate that my car has 6 gears. I don't need 6 gears even on the freeway. This vehicle is ruined."
  • ScoutYo wrote: »
    Wasi wrote: »
    Can we make the quick loot button larger this time?

That would ruin everything. A larger button would remove the need for thumb-tapping skill and strategy. I say make it smaller and put Grog Gnog In front of it.

nah, make it smaller and hide it partly behind a "purchase gems instantly" button.
  • I'm glad everyone enjoys the idea of individual leaderboards being p2w.
    I hoped we could have some individual events based on skill, or that at least required grinding and not just spending money.
    Anyway, if you're happy with p2w events, devs are even happier. Also we can see less people quitting. Perfect.
    But wouldn't it be funny if event starts and as it was for GBI 2 it will be required to spend 8k gems each to hit max tier rewards for a guild?
    I'm sure we would have many starting to complain. It's a p2w game, we don't have time to stack resources, I'm quitting the game...
  • - Can we use friend heroes in the event dungeons?
    - What happens to my heroes if I lost connection and the dungeon ist quitted during a run (or I end it manually because half of my eam is dead and i want to save the remaining heroes)
  • WasiWasi Member
    sirolk99 wrote: »
    If you suck and your heroes are dying, spending $$ for more courage isn't going to change anything. You'll stick suck, your heroes will die, you won't progress any farther, and you'll just have ended wasting $$ for nothing.

Is it just me or does every event now bring out the "this is a play to win event" whiners?

You can also roster refresh for $$, so unfortunately your point is mute.

The only way to stop spend focused events is for every guild / member to have a gentleman's agreement not to spend.. which will never happen, hence the focus on $$ events will continue. It is frustrating not to have pure strategy based / limited run events for the good of the game, but it's naive to think Bossfight / Big Fish would have it any other way.
    ---
    The Potato Army
  • I'm honestly spending more time on other mobile titles than i am here...

Won't lie, the increased pay to win focus of recent events played a big part in that...as did lack of fresh content.

I know this event is not competitive and it pays out at the threshold level...

BUT...

I think the point, for me at least, is that an event that was all strategy and did not involve a pay to win element would be nice, at least from time to time. It would be great to see the players at the top and indeed the guilds at the top being those that actually played the game better then their peers. There is a "buzz" to be gained from that that is simply missing when all you do is spend more than the average - or even than the 99%.

I know DB need to earn a crust so by all means, fill the shop with unique stuff for the spenders to tuck into and run some pay to win events as well, (call them whatever you like, ie non competitive - but we all know these events when we see them) - BUT - also let us stack ourselves up by how well we play and understand the game from time to time too...
  • I think a lot depends on how easy it will be to meet the top thresholds. If fairly easy for all guilds to reach top thresholds, then adding the pay for courage/resets doesn't really impact much other than the non-competitive leaderboards. If, however, it is extremely difficult to meet the top thresholds, then I do think that adding the pay for courage/resets, dummies down the event a bit, letting people with cash catch up to people with skill.

I like the concept, but to have the event be more interesting, I'd like to see an extremely difficult threshold combined with finite courage/resets. Understand this can't be an every event thing because they need to generate $, but as someone else pointed out, it would be nice every once in a while.
  • All we need is leaderboard with highest dungeon finished by players, not points.

Example: Foozle finished dungeon #10 as player 1 in comunity and Demes finished dungeon #5 as player 172 in comunity.

All cash in the world will not let poor player finish best dungeons. Still they can earn many points for guilds with additional $ courage.
  • Joel wrote: »
    Brazy wrote: »
    @Joel As difficulty increases, will there be a cap for guild points?

There is no cap.
    sirtainly wrote: »
    @Joel -

- How do we get more courage, must we purchase it?
    - How are Zomminions handled at the end of a dungeon - if they end the dungeon alive, are we still able to use the hero a Zomminion replaced in our next dungeon run?

-Yes
    -They will not be considered 'alive' for the next dungeon
    xandrew29 wrote: »
    @Joel Is the dungeon like the Tower, where your heroes do not recover HP between runs?

HP is not regained, but energy is reset.

Joel - thanks a ton for the explanation. Helps with planning; basically bringing Sol or Nub is pretty crucial for long runs, so that you don't start a dungeon with 4 heroes with 1/100th of their life, lol.

Also, I assume potions ARE enabled?

This is a really really cool idea; great work guys!
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    edited February 14
    Joel will we be able to use friends hero’s such as emily’s revive for the event?

You can't use a friend's Emily, but you can use your own.
    Skuls wrote: »
    So does retreat reset guild point bonus? If not, surely bring 3 low HP heroes, use 3 potions, retreat and restart is a valid strategy at the cost of courage?

Retreat does not reset the bonus, but it also does not get you the bonus. You get the bonus for beating the dungeon.
    Skorpid wrote: »
    - Can we use friend heroes in the event dungeons?
    - What happens to my heroes if I lost connection and the dungeon ist quitted during a run (or I end it manually because half of my eam is dead and i want to save the remaining heroes)

-No. The event dungeons will be Epic Dungeons.
    -If you lose a connection, you will be able to continue the dungeon when you log back in. If you retreat, you will get guild points relative to your progress in the dungeons, but no bonus. Any heroes that are still alive will remain alive, but if a hero that was killed before retreating will stay dead.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
    Joel will we be able to use friends hero’s such as emily’s revive for the event?

Yes.
    Skuls wrote: »
    So does retreat reset guild point bonus? If not, surely bring 3 low HP heroes, use 3 potions, retreat and restart is a valid strategy at the cost of courage?

Retreat does not reset the bonus, but it also does not get you the bonus. You get the bonus for beating the dungeon.
    Skorpid wrote: »
    - Can we use friend heroes in the event dungeons?

-No. The event dungeons will be Epic Dungeons.
    -If you lose a connection, you will be able to continue the dungeon when you log back in. If you retreat, you will get guild points relative to your progress in the dungeons, but no bonus. Any heroes that are still alive will remain alive, but if a hero that was killed before retreating will stay dead.

So we can or can not use friends' heroes? Your first "yes" and your last "no" seem to be contradictory, unless I'm not fully understanding something.
  • ScoutYoScoutYo Member
    edited February 14
    Edit: No longer relevant.
    any heroes that are KO'd at the end of a dungeon run will not be usable again until the next day at 3pm CST, unless you do a roster refresh. As the dungeon gets harder, the amount of Guild Points paid out will increase.

See, I really hate the Tower of Pwnage type deal where you have to worry about your hero being KOed. I would find it much less stressful if you just had to choose a different team of 4 every round regardless.
    Stressing out about my heroes getting KOed just makes me not want to participate in the event at all.

I actually like it. It encourages you to rune up your lesser heroes, try to make it through a run with Yokozuna, Alexandros, Abigail and Balog, just to save your better heroes.
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    Whoops, I misread the first thing. I meant that yes, you can use Emily in dungeon to revive your heroes, but you can't use your friend's Emily. I've edited my response. Sorry for the confusion!
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com