Elite Runes - See Special Bonus for VIPs with a Sunday deadline

13»

Comments

• @shiggity80

I think the fact we have f2p players in top 100 roster power speaks volumes for how generous this game actually is (counting broken quests/bugs/exploits over the years as generosity heh). In the vasttt majority of these type of games the f2p players can't even scratch the whales. The whales tend to play in their own little overpowered playground.

I would assume the devs realized things were too f2p friendly and have adjusted over the past year accordingly. If f2p can "easily" catch the whales, the incentive to actually spend is significantly decreased.
  • @shiggity80

I think the fact we have f2p players in top 100 roster power speaks volumes for how generous this game actually is (counting broken quests/bugs/exploits over the years as generosity heh). In the vasttt majority of these type of games the f2p players can't even scratch the whales. The whales tend to play in their own little overpowered playground.

I would assume the devs realized things were too f2p friendly and have adjusted over the past year accordingly. If f2p can "easily" catch the whales, the incentive to actually spend is significantly decreased.

Yeah I know, but just saying if this trend continues, where top runes becoming increasingly more expensive, and f2p players can only attain 300 gems a day, then the game will swing to too friendly to f2p, to too punishing for f2p. But that's all conjecture from one new tier of runes, we'll just have to see how this plays out in the future.
  • FatCat69 wrote: »
    Took the bait? People aren't readily engaging at these prices. They ARE testing the waters to see whether there's any value here and getting absolutely screwed in the process.

I feel bad for people who dump 5K gems into these things and don't at least have a fourth stat. Their shiny new Elite runes are barely better than the plethora of superiors they have in reserve that all have fourth stats.

Same for the people dumping 10K gems into the Elite rune pack to get a bunch of Elusive runes that they'll never use.

There is NO value here yet. Elite Runes are a complete waste of time and gems.

They would be worth it if they had a confirmed 4th stat.
  • Skip_HolmesSkip_Holmes Member
    edited March 2
    Let’s put some real numbers to this, since it actually breaks down pretty conveniently.

Grab bag can get you battle, power, focus, elusive, destruction, life, aegis, bulwark, precision runes. Of those 9 types, focus, elusive, destruction, aegis are useless. Life and precision are iffy. So, to make the math easy, we can say that fully 4.5 out of 9 (half) type possibilities are runes that you won’t want. Your pack of 6 runes is automatically down to 3 useable types right off the bat.

Now we have to consider stat combos. Since they cleaned up rune stat possibilities a while back, most runes fall into the “two thirds” rule. That is, two thirds of the stat combos are good, one third is bad. For example, att/att/dmg and att/att/crit power runes good but att/dmg/crit bad. Def/def/hp and def/def/dr bulwarks good but def/hp/dr bad. So, of your three useable rune types, on average one will have a bad stat combo and won’t be useful, while two will have desirable stat combos. Your 10,000 gem purchase of 6 runes is down to 2 runes of useful type and stat rolls.

Now rarity. This one is harder since we don’t know the chances of heroic vs legendary on the runes. If we’re incredibly generous and say that they give it an equal 50/50 shot for each rune (this is way higher than actual, but drives the point home), 1 of the 2 runes with right type and stats will be legendary, while other will be a not-so-great heroic.

So for your 10,000 gems, the rune pack will get you, on average, no better than one rune of a desirable type, stat combo, and rarity. In actuality, oftentimes less than one per pack since the chance for legendary isn’t actually 50/50. For that same 10,000 gems, you can craft bare minimum 2-3 elite runes of whatever type and stat combo you want. And unlike the rune pack, you can even pick your colors. The only advantage the rune pack has is that you don’t have to use any mats. But if you’re getting into elite runes, you’re probably at the point where materials aren’t that big a deal anymore anyway.

Verdict: unless you’re severely material limited for some reason, the rune pack is a lottery ticket. Like all lottery tickets, almost everyone is going to lose on it. Craft your runes instead.
    Post edited by Skip_Holmes on
  • danacdanac Member

Verdict: unless you’re severely material limited for some reason, the rune pack is a lottery ticket. Like all lottery tickets, almost everyone is going to lose on it. Craft your runes instead.

But they're shiny and new!
  • (Its easy for me, the 10,000 gem price tag makes the decision simple.)
13»