Level Disparity

Hi

Was wondering whats the point of the level disparity in the tower of pwnage... i just completely obliterate the lower levels because the teams are so weak compared to me and then i start facing teams 3 or 4 levels above me and i get obliterated instead... is there a point to this level disparity?

Why can´t we just face teams on our level range? Im so tired of beating the first floors and keep getting road blocked when i start facing the high level teams... not to mention they are usually all beast or all barbs... its pretty stupid...

Could someone enlighten me why the level disparity exists? Why can´t we just face teams the same level as we are?

Comments

• It was my understanding that the "temporary fix" lowered their lower limit of the range of levels, making the disparity even greater.

I'm running into barb combinations at level or above that I just can't beat, and occasional combinations of at-level synergies I struggle to beat.

It feels like level disparity makes a lot more difference since the cap increase, especially for things like my Zomm's taste for brains, etc.

I'm one floor from winning the second tower since the cap raise, and that's only because I got lucky and got no barb teams and only 1 team above my level.
  • sirtainly wrote: »
    It was my understanding that the "temporary fix" lowered their lower limit of the range of levels, making the disparity even greater.

I'm running into barb combinations at level or above that I just can't beat, and occasional combinations of at-level synergies I struggle to beat.

It feels like level disparity makes a lot more difference since the cap increase, especially for things like my Zomm's taste for brains, etc.

I'm one floor from winning the second tower since the cap raise, and that's only because I got lucky and got no barb teams and only 1 team above my level.

You should be able to beat a Barb team at your own level by now, they've been around long enough for you to rearrange your strategy and runes to cope. You really need to figure out why you can't. Goretusk Emily Ferno and Agnon should be able to do it.

If you send in a sacrifice hero (or team) first to drain off a few of their initial special attacks it makes life easier. I use a single slow tank like Stone Fist or Kozar to drain off those attacks if the Barb team looks tricky, or I know my own key skills are not fully recharged and it'll take a couple of rounds to get going. Ecco and Icebloom are also potentially good solo sacrifices as they can't be killed in one hit even if they have no runes at all, and Icepick with some defense could last past the first hit and put up an Aegis Shield. One thing the barbs can't do without help is strip buffs.

I agree that dropping the lower level doesn't really help all that much, it's the upper level cap being higher than the player's level that causes people problems. In PvP I'm seeing a lot of level 80 defenses when I am level 73. I was expecting to have defenses capped at +4 above my level, which is tough enough when your debuffs won't stick. In the tower I haven't seen past 77 yet, but if I did hit a level 80 barb team I doubt I could beat it without severe losses.
  • Short_FuseShort_Fuse Member
    edited June 28
    Well... i dont know what they want us to do to be honest... i cant freeze with GT because it fails since their level is higher. I can´t get fernos to burn the enemy team to dispel their rage stacks and invulnerability... it also seems that they take way less damage than enemies on my level so it´s pretty much impossible to kill them when they are 3 levels higher than me to be honest

I can kill barb teams with ease on the same level range. Usually the only times i have an issue is when they have shade with them, and even then i can still win most of the time...

The problem are the high level teams...

@Joel Could you tell me what is the reasoning behind this? I can´t seem to grasp what is the purpose of facing teams 3 or 4 levels above you or sometimes even higher
    Post edited by Short_Fuse on
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    edited June 28
    Barleyman wrote: »
    sirtainly wrote: »
    It was my understanding that the "temporary fix" lowered their lower limit of the range of levels, making the disparity even greater.

You should be able to beat a Barb team at your own level by now, they've been around long enough for you to rearrange your strategy and runes to cope. You really need to figure out why you can't. Goretusk Emily Ferno and Agnon should be able to do it.

If you send in a sacrifice hero (or team) first to drain off a few of their initial special attacks it makes life easier. I use a single slow tank like Stone Fist or Kozar to drain off those attacks if the Barb team looks tricky, or I know my own key skills are not fully recharged and it'll take a couple of rounds to get going. Ecco and Icebloom are also potentially good solo sacrifices as they can't be killed in one hit even if they have no runes at all, and Icepick with some defense could last past the first hit and put up an Aegis Shield. One thing the barbs can't do without help is strip buffs.

I appreciate your thoughtful feedback.

I agree that dropping the lower level doesn't really help all that much, it's the upper level cap being higher than the player's level that causes people problems. In PvP I'm seeing a lot of level 80 defenses when I am level 73. I was expecting to have defenses capped at +4 above my level, which is tough enough when your debuffs won't stick. In the tower I haven't seen past 77 yet, but if I did hit a level 80 barb team I doubt I could beat it without severe losses.

Oh yes, most definitely, I can usually defeat a barb team at my level. In fact, I have defeated more than one barb team at levels higher than mine - usually.

I also use bait teams, as you suggest. I admit that at first I forgot about bait teams! I also became used to being at level cap, and now that I am 9 levels below cap the dynamic is entirely different, as you also discovered.

But that presupposes I have enough good hero teams intact by the time I get to those higher floors.

Sometimes I'm losing my Zomm or Solaris earlier on, often to non-barb or lower barb teams, for reasons I don't understand, and my 3rd and 4th string teams are really only good for 1 floor.

I am perplexed whether I should have more fully runed teams and thereby a higher roster power, or only runed my essential teams.

Some of this is an emotional reaction on my part to a long term frustration at tower and pvp - its not always a rational reaction based on the state of the game at this particular moment, but to the hassles I've had over the broad brush of time and how difficult it "feels" to not make any progress on pvp or the tower, or to feel that the more I've advanced my heroes, the more I feel like I've backslid.

I am slow to catch the current meta, and by the time I do, a new one is thrown at me.
  • danacdanac Member
    back in 2016, you'd see teams +11 levels higher, and about the same range lower.

THOSE were hard. especially since without runes the level differences were magnified.

• Short_FuseShort_Fuse Member
    edited June 29
    I still dont see the point of this level difference especially because when you are at level cap you only face teams at your level. So what is the purpose? Make life miserable until you reach level cap? Why not let people have fun through the whole journey?

Completing the tower used to be the only cool thing in this game... i dont think i can even get more than 50 gems nowadays... dont know how many more days i can endure of failing at floor 5 or 6
  • Only thing I can come up with is that in DB's minds - the only way to fix something that doesn't make sense is create something that makes even less sense and ... voila - current Tower of Pwnage v2.3

How? Glad you asked! They screwed up with Runes (making them way over powered), and they can't go back (refused to moderate them back in the early stages, refused to listen to feedback, with the exception of taking out resist runes)... and now they are mashing game mechanics together to compensate their initial blunder. Like, why are they mashing the floors with PvP based teams, in a gauntlet style event??

In PvP - One don't always win a battle against a top PvP team unscathed. And there's only a handful of heroes TOGETHER that can compete to counter those teams. In the tower run, you're likely to lose a couple key heroes (Emily, Gortusk, Zomm, Solaris, Shade etc) along the way (which you should, it's a gauntlet) - yet you decided to put those top meta pvp teams one after another... which in turn makes it nearly impossible for some to overcome because it just doesn't make sense to do so in the first place - and you call it "a challenge" - it's not, it's dumb and lazy.

I don't know what will work, that's where at least SOME of the revenue you collect should go towards - but I can definitely see what doesn't work.

I should play this game with a new mechanic/event/hero and go... "wow, that's cool!". Instead, when something new comes out... my reaction is "Huh?!".. or "Meh"

Meh.
    Don’t you wish it was easier, wish you were better.
  • Tonight i think i just proved that the level difference is my main issue with the tower. I had 4 levels of barbarians but 2 were under my level and 2 were of the same level (70). I got 0 floors of teams above my level and i finished the tower for the first time in quite some time.

Guess the level disparity is my main problem at the moment