Connection Issues - What Device Are You Using?

sirolk99sirolk99 Member
edited August 10 in Bugs & Technical Issues
For everyone who is having connection issues with this newest update (ver 0.5.10552, updated August 7, 2018), what device are you using?

@Joel @xtmn8r @DB_Dave @DB_Dillon @DB_Stanley @Victoria @Eej @Greg @Joveth @AshleyD

Connection Issues - What Device Are You Using? 13 votes

Android Phone
15%
Ududu2al3x77 2 votes
Android Tablet
15%
seselznickREDROCKER55 2 votes
Android Emulator (Windows)
61%
PoppapumpCrimson_the_KidYykkilsirolk99PontifexAeternusLukeTolGordroBragado 8 votes
Android Emulator (Mac)
0%
iOS/Apple Phone
0%
iOS/Apple Tablet
7%
happyhowler 1 vote
iOS/Apple Emulator (Windows)
0%
iOS/Apple Emulator (Mac)
0%
Potatoccino Guild - Lvl 73 - VIP 2
DB Forum: Recent Discussions - http://forum.dungeonboss.com/discussions
Tagged:

Comments

• Android Emulator (Windows)
    Joel wrote: »
    Unfortunately, we've determined that this issue is device and local-network related, and therefore something that we are unable to interact with from our end. Something is going wrong between your device and the network that you are using to connect, which is why changing networks has proven to be a reliable solution. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling the game and/or emulator, but we cannot guarantee that would work. If you have access to any phones or other devices that can double as a hotspot, connecting to the game via them even for a moment seems to fix the issue. We understand that this is not an ideal situation by any means, but it is the reality of the situation. :(
  • sirolk99sirolk99 Member
    edited August 10
    First off, I use my Android phone, and I luckily have had ZERO problems with this newest update.

However, Joel's comment above is complete BS, and here's why...

I do use Bluestacks emulator on occasion, and never had a problem with the previous version (0.5.10011). Just about an hour ago I decided to test my luck and updated DB to the newest version (0.5.10552) on my emulator.

After installing, I go to run DB and lo and behold there is the "Network Connection" issue people are reporting.

So no, it is not something on the user/gamer end!
    It is something on DB's end!
    Somewhere in the new update is some bad coding!

Something they changed in the game code is now preventing DB from connecting with the network. But only for some players. So I created this poll to see if we can get an idea of who is really being affected.

Because I have a feeling that DB is being sneaky and inserted some code to prevent emulators from running Dungeon Boss now.

I could be wrong tho...

Either way, it's bad coding and DB needs to drop the interns and pay to get some outside help from EXPERIENCED coders and fix this issue ASAP!!!
    Post edited by sirolk99 on
  • LukeTolLukeTol Member
    edited August 10
    I've Bluestacks on 2 different computers: in one DB works perfectly, in the other it doesn't...
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    I can tell you that we absolutely have not made any changes aimed at preventing players from using emulators. I can also tell you that we had reports of this occurring on other devices, but they were much easier to fix since the solution is to connect to another network, even if only for a moment, so your poll data will likely be skewed at this point.

The issue is something that is induced by the game, not the device or local network, but the issue itself is one that involves the interaction of devices and local networks, two things that we (or any game for that matter) have no way of interacting with. The fact that players have reliably fixed this issue (even on emulators) by changing networks and then changing back tells us that there is not a fundamental issue in the code that keeps the game from ever connecting on a given platform, but that something is happening in the upgrade process that prevents the device from connecting to the game until the network is changed. We are not 'blaming' players for this issue, and I apologize if my phrasing ever suggested that we are, but we simply cannot fix this issue from our end because any fix would naturally require a working connection to the game.

This is obviously not a situation that we are happy about either, and we will be investigating the cause and potential safeguards against this happening in future releases.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • GordroGordro Member
    edited August 10
    This is obviously not a situation that we are happy about either, and we will be investigating the cause and potential safeguards against this happening in future releases.

Which means players like me are effectively having to quit dungeon boss.

I use an emulator to allow me to actually see the screen.

I can run it on a tablet, but my eyesight means I can't work out what is going on.

Joel, you can look at my account and count up the HUNDREDS of £ I have spent on your game.

I feel pretty stupid right now. Like I have just given my cash to a thief. Your talk of a new release, yet the version number 0.5.10552 on the google app store is the same as yesterday?

Let down is pretty much how I feel, and once I get that feeling, I never come back.

I hope anyone considering spending any cash in this game looks at this and thinks twice before making any large expenditures on Dungeon Boss

You made a change to your code, that change broke the game, that break is affecting people like me with disabilities who are forced to use emulators to run android.

So will be talking to the play store to see their take on the affective discrimination shown by an app in their store.
    Post edited by Gordro on
  • Gordro wrote: »

Which means players like me are effectively having to quit dungeon boss.

I use an emulator to allow me to actually see the screen.

I can run it on a tablet, but my eyesight means I can't work out what is going on.

Joel, you can look at my account and count up the HUNDREDS of £ I have spent on your game.

I feel pretty stupid right now. Like I have just given my cash to a thief. Your talk of a new release, yet the version number 0.5.10552 on the google app store is the same as yesterday?

Let down is pretty much how I feel, and once I get that feeling, I never come back.

I hope anyone considering spending any cash in this game looks at this and thinks twice before making any large expenditures on Dungeon Boss

You made a change to your code, that change broke the game, that break is affecting people like me with disabilities who are forced to use emulators to run android.

So will be talking to the play store to see their take on the affective discrimination shown by an app in their store.

Have you tried what DB has suggested, connecting on another network, and switch back once DB has loaded for the first time. I was able to do that with an emulator (BlueStacks). Connected my laptop to a different network, no changes needed in the emulator, game loaded. Changed back to my usual wireless network and game is loading just fine. Currently at work mining the samurai's epic.
  • GordroGordro Member
    lythander wrote: »

Have you tried what DB has suggested, connecting on another network, and switch back once DB has loaded for the first time. I was able to do that with an emulator (BlueStacks). Connected my laptop to a different network, no changes needed in the emulator, game loaded. Changed back to my usual wireless network and game is loading just fine. Currently at work mining the samurai's epic.

Unfortunately I use a desktop, wired connection, in order to do this I would need to pack my machine up and take it to a totally different house.

If I could I would, but this means a taxi and someone to reconnect cables I cant see

Pathetic I know, Ive been supporting workstations since Windows 3.51 and DOS 4+, to not be able to do the basics without help, means what I would have thought of as simple a few years ago is a killer now.

It doesn't help when a company decides that the problem isn't at their end but the customers fault.

Incidentally, I have NEVER seen an application on any emulator act in this fashion before and it was working before the patch.

Whatever, I'm taking my money to a company that does not discriminate against the disabled in this way (lack of support is discrimination)
  • I wonder if changing the IP scheme you get from your router would work? Like going from a 192.164.x.x to a 10.x.x.x. scheme. Or changing the MAC address on the host machine. Maybe even resetting the TPC/IP stack.
  • It's cool that DB allows people to use an emulator. One of my fav older games did NOT want people to use any emulator or VM.
  • GordroGordro Member
    morilli wrote: »
    I wonder if changing the IP scheme you get from your router would work? Like going from a 192.164.x.x to a 10.x.x.x. scheme. Or changing the MAC address on the host machine. Maybe even resetting the TPC/IP stack.

Tried all that, even to the point of using different DNS servers though I know it would make no difference.

The issue is NOT network related, a change was made at the time of the patch. This is something at the games servers end.

Not a client issue and not an issue with the clients routing or IP etc etc
    Emulator - Temporary Solution (Which I just did) :

1.) Uninstall DB
    2.) Reinstall previous version 05.10011 from apk file
    3.) Log back in to your existing account

Working for the moment...
  • GordroGordro Member
    sirolk99 wrote: »

1.) Uninstall DB

Cheers @sirolk99 ill give it a go
  • YykkilYykkil Member
    edited August 11

1.) Uninstall DB

@sirolk99
    How did you obtain the 05.10011 version apk file?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it online, and per these instructions I can play again. You sir (no pun intended) are a hero in my books.
  • iOS/Apple Tablet
    Can't even play today... The game crashed after only a few seconds. I'm using an iOS device (iPad). I've been playing this game for more than 3 years and it's the first time it happens... WTF!?
  • I have a laptop that I play on occasionally. I have two different emulators. Both toast now for DB. Maybe it is the game having issues getting at the hardware layer. Like the emulator is adding an extra layer of stuff between the hardware and the game.
    Yykkil wrote: »

Where i can find this file?
    https://apkpure.co/dungeon-boss/#downarea

Should work, if not u can find more sites via google.

@PontifexAeternus
  • BryanBryan Member
    Concur, reverting back to 05.10011 is the only thing that will help you if you're running through an emulator. I compared the logs when attempting to log in via 05.10011 and 05.10012 and see a lot of calls to:

2018-08-09 08:48:54.488 8556:0000000E (HD-Player). INFO: Android: InputMapper: Loading config at C:\ProgramData\BlueStacks\Engine\UserData\InputMapper\UserFiles\com.bigfishgames.dungeonbossf2pgoogle.cfg
    Bryan79
    Potato Society
    So I was just now able to update DB on my emulator to the newest version and get my account loaded correctly, here's how...

1.) Turn on "Mobile Hotspot" on my phone
    2.) Turn on "USB Tethering" on my phone
    3.) Disable wifi/lan for the PC home network
    4.) Connect phone to PC via USB cable
    5.) Windows detected the phone and made a new Local Area Connection
    6.) Loaded my emulator and uninstalled the old version of DB (0.5.10011)
    7.) Install new version of DB via apk file (0.5.10552)
    8.) Start DB on my emulator
    9.) DB made the connection and got past the network error
    10.) Once DB finished downloading/updating was able to log back in to existing account
    11.) Exit DB
    12.) Disconnect phone
    13.) Turn back on PC home network wifi/lan
    14.) Restarted DB and verified it is still working and current version

If you got a laptop, take it to any fast food location with free wifi and use their wifi to bypass network error.

If anyone in the house (or a friend who can come over) has phone with internet access see above.

If you have no way to take PC/Laptop to a free wifi or use a phone connection, might have to physically take it to a friends house to log in to their home network.

Would be even better if DB was able to make a coding fix for this and released an updated version to the play stores so we didn't have to do this at all.

Any chance of that happening @Joel ???
  • BryanBryan Member
    :o
    Bryan79
    Potato Society
  • YykkilYykkil Member
    edited August 13
    So I was just now able to update DB on my emulator to the newest version and get my account loaded correctly, here's how...

10.) Once DB finished downloading/updating was able to log back in to existing account
    11.) Exit DB
    12.) Disconnect phone

If you got a laptop, take it to any fast food location with free wifi and use their wifi to bypass network error.

If anyone in the house (or a friend who can come over) has phone with internet access see above.

If you have no way to take PC/Laptop to a free wifi or use a phone connection, might have to physically take it to a friends house to log in to their home network.

Would be even better if DB was able to make a coding fix for this and released an updated version to the play stores so we didn't have to do this at all.

Well if anyone sees me with my desktop PC at Heathrow International Airport you know what I'm doing there.

On a serious note, this is one of the worst usability bugs I've seen for Dungeon Boss, and I'm surprised there isn't more hubbub about it...
  • BryanBryan Member
    Yykkil wrote: »
    Well if anyone sees me with my desktop PC at Heathrow International Airport you know what I'm doing there.

LOL!!!

I agree this is pretty bad, but I guess it only affects a small portion of the playing population...
    Bryan79
    Potato Society
  • Heathrow Security won't get upset at you carrying a desktop setup around with you? Very tolerant of them. Here in the states I think Homeland and TSA might have kittens if we tried that.
  • morillimorilli Member

11.) Exit DB
    12.) Disconnect phone

This above fixed my Nox Emulator issue. I suspect the game is having issue access the network hardware via emulators. Next I am going to try just side loading the game on Memu after uninstalling.