The 'keys for gold' item in the shop switches places with the elite rune causing accidental purchase

I appreciate the ability to hand in excess keys for gold at the end of an event... BUT, In two unhelpful UI/UX decisions, you can only hand in one key at a time, which is incredibly frustrating, and when the keys run out the SEVEN THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED gem elite run switches into it's place.

So you are naturally incentivised to mindlessly tap repeatedly on the bronze key shop item and then, like me, accidentally purchase the elite gem for almost all of your gems while tapping furiously?

I do not need or want this rune and really need/want the gems. I would really appreciate a refund of gems and removal of the rune from my account if possible?

In future, would it be possible to have an undo option? Like if you hold press on a shop item you can get an 'undo' pop up that will remove the purchased item and refund the price? If you can't implement one in the shop, can there be an easy way to request an undo for in game purchases? At the very least, don't make items disappear and move around mid shopping, it's completely unintuitive and leads to accidents like this.
Tagged:

Comments

• Same thing happened to me. If you redeem the gems, I would like the same. The rune is sitting in my inventory unupgraded.
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    We are unable to refund purchases that are made, even if unintentional, as we still have a confirmation popup for every purchase that you have to tap through. That said, we will look into ways to make this type of unintentional purchase less likely in future events.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    edited September 10
    I -almost- did that, too. I wasn't going to say anything until I saw this message. I would suggest in the future that when a user is no longer eligible for that purchase (no more keys), that instead of the option not reappearing, that the option remain present, but marked, say, SOLD OUT or something similar to how other purchases are handled.

Having it function the way it does may give the customer the idea that perhaps accidental rune purchases were intended, which is a perception I'm certain none of us would want, especially at that gem purchase level.

If this did happen to me I would be taking whatever measures were available to me to get my money back, beginning with customer support, but not ending there.

(EDIT: Maybe I'm overreacting a little to what I think is an unnecessarily strong statement. I understand the need to maintain firm policies to conserve limited resources and discourage inappropriate requests, but I think we can all agree that courteous and empathic customer service can enhance a games profit and community, and we're talking about digital currency, gems that have already been purchased or earned, so there's no direct financial loss, and any indirect lack of purchase is made up for by good will..its only a little time that's wasted. My business world is becoming way too cutthroat for me - I come to play fantasy games to escape to a more fun and equitable place.)
    Post edited by sirtainly on
  • I agree, when I was 8yrs old I spilled my milk and my mommy wouldn't give me another glass so I cried, she eventually caved in so hang in there guys
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    edited September 10
    denabug wrote: »
    I agree, when I was 8yrs old I spilled my milk and my mommy wouldn't give me another glass so I cried, she eventually caved in so hang in there guys

There is a difference between whining and standing up for proper consumer rights during business transactions. I bet you would have a different reaction if something similar happened to you and it cost you $1,000.

Suppose each morning on your way to work you purchased a morning sausage-and-egg biscuit from a street vendor...each morning, same time, same cost. One day, you're distracted by someone and reach for the sandwich, grab it, swipe your card and walk on. When you get to the end of the block you realize you didn't get your usual morning biscuit - today you got eggs-benedict and filet mignon on a rare hand-crafted paresian roll with artisan imported cheese. You look at the charge receipt and see that instead of the usual $3.25 you are charged $37.95. You go back and see that today they've removed your usual sandwich and put the new expensive sandwich in its place. You approach the vendor to inquire and he calls you a whiner, insults your lineage and turns away.

Do you just chalk it up to spilt milk and move on?

What if it was something 10x more expensive?

It has nothing to do with whining or being a baby.
  • Happened to me too! 7,500 gems is a lot for a crappy rune! :'(
  • Joel wrote: »
    We are unable to refund purchases that are made, even if unintentional, as we still have a confirmation popup for every purchase that you have to tap through. That said, we will look into ways to make this type of unintentional purchase less likely in future events.

I appreciate you'll attempt to make it harder to do in the future, but this one seems pretty prevalent. There's half a dozen people in my guild reporting the same thing. I would be fine if it was a minor purchase but it's quite literally the most expensive (in game currency) purchase in the game.

I also realise there's a confirmation popup, but there's two problems with it here.
    * One, when you're spam clicking for the `bronze key` item, I suspect most people are not going to stare at each individual click and confirm each one 16 times. So you mindlessly tap through until it's finished (not expecting another more expensive thing to move into it's place)
    * The other is that the input for a lot of actions is quite laggy, so often you press once, nothing appears to happen, you press again (thinking you miss pressed), and then you've 'pressed twice' and pressed confirm while only trying to click on the item itself.

I don't want anything for free, I just would like to not have spent a large portion of stuff I've paid real money to get, on something I don't want/need and that happened due to some miss-leading ui/ux.

It would be cool though to have some sort of inbuilt refund feature.Although I suspect it's not easy to implement.
  • denabug wrote: »
    I agree, when I was 8yrs old I spilled my milk and my mommy wouldn't give me another glass so I cried, she eventually caved in so hang in there guys

The irony is dripping off this childish comment.

It's also a terrible analogy. It'd be more like if I was at a restaurant, I ordered a plate of nacho's every time I went there for ~15 times. Then the next time I went there, I asked for the nacho's again without reading the menu, and they'd decided to call their chicken salad "Nacho's" and so I ended up getting a salad. It's misleading. And even that analogy doesn't work cause I'm not expecting them to give me anything that they can't take back and re-use.

Maybe try a modicum of maturity.
  • Sorry but I have to agree with Joel here. Because you chose to not pay attention in the shop you spent money that wasn't intended. If there was no confirmation prompt then you might have a case. But you are asked each to time to confirm your purchase. If you weren't paying attention that is your problem not DB's. Also you were gaming the system. Albeit in an allowable way but your were still gaming the system by buying bronze keys that you most likely could not and would not use on the calendar doors to turn into gold. It is one thing to turn in excess that you have but to deliberately buy the keys to farm gold is just plain greedy. All three food analogies were awful. The first post about spilled milk and crying offended people because they read the OP as calling them childish and whining. The second one about fillet Mignon and Eggs Benedict is awful in own right. If you can't tell the different between and egg McMuffin and Fillet Mignon then there is something wrong with your sense of touch at the very least. And finally the last one is bad because in restaurant the returned food would not be re-used. It would be thrown away. And the restaurant would be within its rights to charge you. It is not their fault you failed to read the menu and the list of ingredients. It would be their fault if you ordered Nachos, after reading the menu, and they brought you meatloaf.
  • Yeah I don’t get the problem. You bought the rune whether you meant it or not, and there’s no refund. Nothing can be done about a players clumsy actions, as Joel doesn’t know of your lying , which you’re probably not, but it’s a possibility nonetheless.
    Level - 75
    Guilds - Member in VIP LIFE and officer in VIP Minions
    Favorite Hero - Astrid
  • morilli wrote: »
    Sorry but I have to agree with Joel here. Because you chose to not pay attention in the shop you spent money that wasn't intended. If there was no confirmation prompt then you might have a case. But you are asked each to time to confirm your purchase. If you weren't paying attention that is your problem not DB's. Also you were gaming the system. Albeit in an allowable way but your were still gaming the system by buying bronze keys that you most likely could not and would not use on the calendar doors to turn into gold. It is one thing to turn in excess that you have but to deliberately buy the keys to farm gold is just plain greedy. All three food analogies were awful. The first post about spilled milk and crying offended people because they read the OP as calling them childish and whining. The second one about fillet Mignon and Eggs Benedict is awful in own right. If you can't tell the different between and egg McMuffin and Fillet Mignon then there is something wrong with your sense of touch at the very least. And finally the last one is bad because in restaurant the returned food would not be re-used. It would be thrown away. And the restaurant would be within its rights to charge you. It is not their fault you failed to read the menu and the list of ingredients. It would be their fault if you ordered Nachos, after reading the menu, and they brought you meatloaf.

My purpose was not to draw an exact analogy, but to both address the baby analogy and also to make the point that as a business owner, I would make sure to approach all dispute situations with diplomacy and courtesy, rather than a "Sorry, tough luck, too bad so sad" approach.

This does not always mean a refund, it means letting the customer know you are aware of their concerns and appreciate their business. In the case of food, it might mean offering something to keep a regular customer; "Hey Bob, you're one of my regulars, howsabout I make it up to you by giving you free drinks the rest of the week or this two-for-the-price-of-one coupon, or let me get you what you originally wanted at no additional charge" etc.e.tc..

By the way, I turned in all bronze keys. I did not purchase a single bronze key, they were all given to me as quest rewards. Nor was it my intention to "farm gold". Heck, if I hadn't read that the option was present in a LINE chat and looked for it, I probably wouldn't even have bothered.

I'm trying to point out that to me, the confusion is understandable, and the response should be done with care. I wand DB to do well, and I want its customers to feel satisfied and treated well. I didn't realize it would turn into the debate of the century.

• This is a case of poor UI. User’s fault for buying the rune but DB’s fault for facilitating the mistake.

4 easy fixes:
    1) Gray out key conversion option instead of making it disappear.
    2) Auto convert keys at the end of event
    3) Convert all keys in single tap.
    4) Change confirmation window for rune purchases eg change location of the “Accept” button or make it a slider button.
  • To extend the well-loved food analogy: this is like knocking over a glass of milk that was balanced on its edge. Still your fault for knocking it over, but did it really have to be so easy to do?
  • Since the last client update it takes about 20 seconds for me to buy anything, as it talks aback and forth to the server.

I'm sitting there pounding on the purchase trying to make it faster, but it *does* mean I got plenty to time to stop from buying the elite.

• morilli wrote: »
    Also you were gaming the system. Albeit in an allowable way but your were still gaming the system by buying bronze keys that you most likely could not and would not use on the calendar doors to turn into gold.

I had 14 or possibly more bronze keys to convert, didn't buy a single one, they were all quest rewards. I earned the tickets to buy silver keys for every door, plus the one gold key we could buy with tickets. I was saved from buying the rune by accident by this thread, which is how I realized I could trade in the keys for something in the first place, and not having 7,500 gems anyway.

I like Monkey Hunter's suggested solutions. The easiest would be to just grey out the key trade once you have no bronze keys left. I'd like the auto or multiple trade in, but I don't think this game ever does multiple purchases except in the portals. I really wish it could, it's so tedious having to click, wait........click, wait....

• +1
    ---
    The Potato Army
  • This is a case of poor UI. User’s fault for buying the rune but DB’s fault for facilitating the mistake.

4 easy fixes:
    1) Gray out key conversion option instead of making it disappear.
    2) Auto convert keys at the end of event
    3) Convert all keys in single tap.
    4) Change confirmation window for rune purchases eg change location of the “Accept” button or make it a slider button.

Why *wouldn’t* keys auto covert? @Joel

Do they serve any purpose post event?
    ---
    The Potato Army
  • It’s kinda both parties fault. On one hand it was your own fault for not realizing you clicked on the rune instead of the key-gold. On the other hand they (Bigfish) could make it where you can sell all keys at once. I can see either argument but I have to agree with Joel. It’s like what @sirtainly said above you may have grabbed the wrong biscuit but that does not mean the street vendor has to give you a refund. Also if Bigfish starts giving refunds on accidentally purchased items then people would buy stuff and if they realized they didn’t like it they would say they purchased it on accident. It’s not like it was a real money purchase. It was just diamonds . You can earn them back. I know it will be annoying but it was your fault in the first place.
  • Skip_HolmesSkip_Holmes Member
    edited September 11
    Embarrassed to admit it, but add me to the list. That’s some really poor UI. Hell, I’d sell the rune back to DB at a discount at this point since it’s worse than the much, much cheaper guardian runes. I’ll never use it and it’s like $25 of gems burned. Pretty weak response to something happening to a whole bunch of people. Not a case of your normal “misclick” issue.
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    The "SOLD OUT" option is indeed our first inclination for future iterations of this event. We cannot refund the purchase as it would be far too easy for players to purchase it and then say it was an 'accident' (I don't think anyone here is lying, but refunding anyone who says it was an accident means we have to refund everyone who says it was an accident) and it's very difficult to remove a single rune from a single player's inventory.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • FWIW I can’t imagine anyone buying this rune willingly. Elite or not, no one is knowingly spending gems on Electric Skin. A good faith compensation of 2,000 gems would go a long way.
  • Just stumbled upon this. I thought I was the only one who accidentally dropped 7500 Gems...
    Bryan79
    Potato Society
  • I bought the rune intentionally with no regrets.
    Don’t you wish it was easier, wish you were better.
  • MelofSteel wrote: »
    I bought the rune intentionally with no regrets.

@MelofSteel But why? Serious question.
  • Its a nice tanky rune.

Point is... it is a useful rune, even if it isnt your most desired choice.
    Don’t you wish it was easier, wish you were better.
  • Swordking35Swordking35 Member
    edited September 12
    The point is that yellow runes have a big problem in that they directly compete with the best rune in the game, the guardian rune. And this rune is no exception. Sure electric skin is ok, but it’s really only the best option on Selwyn or a yellow character that can also have a guardian rune with it. Selwyn is meh because he doesn’t need to survive past iceform anyway, the main reason the electric skin rune is good on him in the first place. And everyone knows that there are only a select group of yellow chars that are meta enough to drop an elite rune on, especially if you don’t usually buy one, but happen to do it accidentally like I did.
  • However, I do consent that there is no way to refund the purchase on something like this. The devs have limited time, and I’d rather have them spend the day improving the game rather than refunding me and the <1% of players this affected. However, the unexpected disappearance of the item in the shop was a problem, and I think a small compensation is in order. And for Pete’s sake if you would have just separated the key purchases from the ridiculously expensive runes this whole think would never have happened. Next time just put a real money purchase in between so that it would be impossible for anyone to accidentally make a purchase, since the password and complicated rituals and such.