What in the?!

Comments

• EosEos Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    If only I fully understood this entire thread.. I feel like it's something magical though. I hope they respond to you...
    0ci3qm92nk2y.png
    #TeamTaterTakeTheTown
    IGN: Dudum
    Champion: Dhaegon Stonecrusher 6* [60]
    Hero Wishlist: Lupina 6* (103/150), Augustus the Paladin 6* (107/150), Icebloom (224/100 to unlock), Thalia 10*
    Hero Cards
    When I'm fresh out of stamina sometimes I get a little snippy...Apologies.
  • al4xal4x Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Ok this is getting rather infuriating, your commenting on other posts but when highly active players actually have a question you refuse to answer? WTF IS GOING ON BOSSFIGHT! @Joel why are you ignoring my pm's and any attempt to get clarification on this subject?
  • meowstaa_meowstaa_ Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    al4x wrote: »
    Ok this is getting rather infuriating, your commenting on other posts but when highly active players actually have a question you refuse to answer? WTF IS GOING ON BOSSFIGHT! @Joel why are you ignoring my pm's and any attempt to get clarification on this subject?

I'm not sure if they are intentionally avoiding this subject, I mean, why would the devs not want to clarify on a simple issue of whether these two accounts are legit and whether 5* is achievable.
    But it's weird tho, they are answering about every other question posted on the forums.
    Meanwhile, al4x I've never seen you so fired up, guess we'll have to wait for a response, or maybe start a new thread (with a clearer title?) regarding this question if that is why @Joel is ignoring this post.

p2h9edr4yd1o.png
    #TeamTaterTakeTheTown
    Shared Hero: Ippy
    al4x wrote: »

Sorry I know my response was mostly in jest but I only understood about half of what was said. It'll be awhile until I get to Nim and Brom but I do know that it seems like am impossibility and you want some clarification on if it's actually legit or if folks are cheating. And excuse you, I am highly active, what else do you think I've been doing for the last 2 days? Pardon me while I did a polite "bump" of the thread if you will....
    0ci3qm92nk2y.png
    #TeamTaterTakeTheTown
    Hero Wishlist: Lupina 6* (103/150), Augustus the Paladin 6* (107/150), Icebloom (224/100 to unlock), Thalia 10*
    Hero Cards
    @Eos by no means am i calling you out specifically and i apologize if you took offence to that, its his activity in other threads in comparison to this one that is super annoying. hes been tagged almost every other response for this thread and yet no response. also its not something that seem impossible, from what we can see it is impossible which is why we are trying to get some clarification @Joel
    @al4x I haven't been around enough to know what's the norm but a polite "we're looking into it" would seem in order by now...
    0ci3qm92nk2y.png
    #TeamTaterTakeTheTown
    Hero Cards
  • ItchytorturepoxItchytorturepox Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    We don't know the full circumstances, so can only assume what's going on. I get the feeling there's a lot of control over what can and can't be said by Joel, though. The good thing is that he's still there/here and giving some feedback (especially with regard to bug postings).

Now I'm wondering about financial issues and how they might be affecting the team. Let's hope I'm wrong and I've got this entire mini-rant wrong, but here goes:

They use Unity, Vanilla forums and whatever else (outsourced or contracted) that cost upfront cash and subscription fees. Boss Fight is in partnership with Big Fish, which will likely mean royalties don't come until the initial funding has been covered. The money will go to Big Fish first, they're in the business of making money. Always the case in business, especially with so many stakeholders and partners... Boss Fight will be way down the line in terms of receiving actual revenue.

Look at it this way. With an Android app, 30% goes to Google (not exactly sure of the in game purchase figure but 30% is regular for app purchases). Then the rest goes to Big Fish. They probably pay the subs and fees for Vanilla (and whatever else, there could be a lot of fees that are not obvious), cover their costs, pay their guys, and look for at least double their investment for a profit margin. What's left will go to Boss Fight, providing that any initial funding has been "repaid". Boss Fight then have to pay Unity/contracted stuff/outsourced royalties, overheads and their staff. Oh, running the servers by an ops team or outsourced ops team... anyone got any idea about costs for that? $$$

The game, if we can extrapolate figures from the user IDs seen in chat, only has around 100k players so far. The latest user IDs are in the 150k,160k range, I think... and they probably didn't start at user 0, may be 50,000? Well, whatever, it's a low amount.

We might be in a situation where they're trying to cut costs (their website is really out of date, for example), borrowing more money from shareholders to pay the staff/overheads, while they wait for, what is an excellent little game with some minor flaws and gripes, to get the required amount of paying users to make it profitable for all involved.
    Player level: 70.0
    My Dungeon Boss YouTube channel: YouTube.com/videos
  • HaxusBloodbaneHaxusBloodbane Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    @Itchytorturepox, That is a very good point. Many people tend to forget that the gaming industry is still a business. Money is required. Just like any other business they have to balance out things. My guess is that Big Fish has a considerable amount of control over the game. This is why bugs appear. The Publisher has to keep players interested in their games so they take care of advertising, push updates to be finished in time, and of course make sure people are playing the game. Take for Example Ironhide game studio. They had Armour games publish their first two games and would often cite that the dev team didn't make too much money. However when they released Kingdom Rush Origins without a publisher as an independent project a lot more freedom was allowed such as more free content and bigger updates instead of frequent and small updates. Another thing to note is that bugs pop up because the developers sometimes get pushed to release an update to increase content. If a game is good and frequently updated people tell their friends and more downloads happen. more players appear and with more players comes a need for more content but because the game hit a satisfactory level the publisher demands more neat and large updates which are polished nicely due to more time being given to the developers. I wouldn't have found Dungeon boss without an add being placed in another game so the publisher is doing something right. Give it time because as the updates come out they'll get bolder and bigger and definitely more polished.
    Wants Control over a Legion of Spiders
    In game Level: 70
    Shared hero: Archangel Emily (Lvl 70), Epic level 12
    Lord of the Fries of The Potato Army Random Mook in Tater Squad Nameless Grunt in Tater Tots
    I'm on Twitter regularly

• Same here if the ad was never in the one game I would have never new about dungeon boss until I started playing crossy road
    In game level:41
    Shared hero:bovus el doro
    Favourite hero: bovus el doro.
    Chapter:16
  • BallBall Member
    Same, World of Warriors brought me to Dungeon Boss.
    rwgvva6ow25z.png
    So yeah, the advertising budget. Tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands of dollars?
    As @HaxusBloodbane, mentioned, the publisher is likely fronting the cash for that, but ultimately the revenues from the game have to pay for it.
  • mycalmycal Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    I just peeked at the facebook page. One comment in particular caught my eye...is the game seriously not available to the US market?? I think that would be a no-brainer, opening up to the American population...and US dollar.
    @mycal you didn't know? I only found out about the game while watching something on Machinima, then I went to download the game on the iPad and it wasn't avail so I saw it was just released on Android, downloaded the APK and sideloaded it. Not complaining but while I do get to play the game it does appear I am a very solid beta tester for them atm... I wonder though with the promoting on US shows I'd be curious to see if they'll make an official launch in the US this weekend at PAX
    0ci3qm92nk2y.png
    #TeamTaterTakeTheTown
    Hero Cards
    @mycal find it strange that they dont allow american population but ingame purchases are still USD lool
    If they do indeed release in the states we'd better be ready to deal with the tidal wave of new players that'll swarm into the game and ask all the questions we've been asked a million times.
    Lord of the Fries of The Potato Army Random Mook in Tater Squad Nameless Grunt in Tater Tots
    I'm on Twitter regularly

Perhaps citizens of the US are playing the game but they're all banned from the chat server.

Can't imagine why, though. They're such a friendly bunch that happily gets along with everyone else in the world :D
    Perhaps citizens of the US are playing the game but they're all banned from the chat server.

Can't imagine why, though. They're such a friendly bunch that happily gets along with everyone else in the world :D

Ahem, not banned and I was talking to your last night ingame..
    0ci3qm92nk2y.png
    #TeamTaterTakeTheTown
    Hero Cards
    Eos wrote: »

Joking aside, I was aware that others in the US are already playing the game. Is it actually listed on the Google Play store there, or did you get the apk using other means (i.e. over a vpn)?
    edited August 2015
    Eos wrote: »

Joking aside, I was aware that others in the US are already playing the game. Is it actually listed on the Google Play store there, or did you get the apk using other means (i.e. over a vpn)?
    All apps are listed on the Play store. It used to say something different but now they just kind of fib and say it's not compatible with your device. You can always go to a offline downloader site to manually grab APK or install extensions in your browser to override it yourself (no VPN or other whatnot needed) which is the method I employed.
    2kmmbjhitd4c.png
    2ajxjqy9nl0e.png
    0ci3qm92nk2y.png
    #TeamTaterTakeTheTown
    Hero Cards
    The developer is a US company, as is the publisher.

However, "The game is live in select countries, including Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, and the Philippines".

To select the countries, did someone spin a globe and stab it randomly with a pin?

(I think it smells like a Beta test, but does anyone have any other conspiracy theories?)
    You get a strong agree, like and a lol for that sir.
    0ci3qm92nk2y.png
    #TeamTaterTakeTheTown
    Hero Cards
  • No no no doodle jum bring me to dungeon boss
    In game level:41
    Shared hero:bovus el doro
    Favourite hero: bovus el doro.
    Chapter:16
  • afroninjaafroninja Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    Please spam somewhere else hereo
    #TeamTater
    Recommended change: Give Tsume an afro!
    knjplof08e1h.png
    Conspiracy theories?

When Gravity Falls and Earth Becomes Sky, fear the beast with just one eye.
    I'm on Twitter regularly

• @afroninja I saw that player about a month ago. I also thought it was quite odd. What was really strange was that he sent me a friend request around that same time (Level 6 Rogar for his shared hero). I just checked and he's apparently off my friend list and no where to be seen on the global leader boards. Definitely odd. I didn't think that the developers would be friending players, so I'm not sure who he is.

On a side note, I snapped this pic in July for a player named 'SirTon' and then contacted bigfishgames directly from their webpage. They responded within 24hrs and indicated that it was a developer account that had accidently been left active. Perhaps if you send them the information they can find out for you.e69gc0rjb2r0.jpg
    @Hopper haha I love it, only +11 were you to best them. Pfft.
    0ci3qm92nk2y.png
    #TeamTaterTakeTheTown
    Hero Cards
  • afroninjaafroninja Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    @Greg Thank you for the reply. Glad to know it is something you looked into and hopefully rectified.

@Joel Sorry for harassing you over the last few weeks re: this issue. Perhaps in the future a simple "Let me look into it" would be better than complete silence.
    #TeamTater
    Recommended change: Give Tsume an afro!
    knjplof08e1h.png
    That was quick!

bo4tmj6rmsoy.png