Why So Slow with the Epics

Why are the developers so slow with epics. Lots of heroes need a porpoise (purpose). The epics are coming around so slowly and I don't know why. Abigail the Brutal is worthless, and needs a purpose. Right now, such heroes' only purpose is to enter tower floors and soak up all the annoying abilities I don't want my actual team to have to take. It doesn't really make sense that it could be so difficult to simply create a modified texture, and the coding shouldn't even be that hard, as a lot of it can just be copied/pasted. I like many less recent people, such as the Furnace, however as much as I hate to admit it, he is falling behind rapidly. He needs help, and he could really do with an epic. I just don't know what is slowing the developers down? Ideas? Just gold plate the Furnace, or change the hammer, bang, done. Just give Alexandros an improved shield and good-looking weapon, band, done. Just give Abigail a four-bladed axe, band, done. It really shouldn't take this long, because for now, the only heroes in my inventory that I can count on are in the top 4-5 rows.
Level 64
Stormer of Towers
Certified Trihard
Tagged:

Comments

• JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    It probably takes a really long time to develop all that. They can't just make a new model, slap it onto the hero in place of their weapon, and call it a day. They have to actually craft the Epic, make sure it looks good, go through a couple designs, make sure it fits the Hero, in both character and actual size, model the weapon onto the hero, make sure the model moves with the hero when they move, make sure the animation looks clean, make sure the weapon glows correctly when they perform an epic attack...

(Deep breath)

...Make pictures for the Epic and it's parts, put those pictures in the elemental island, make sure the parts drop in the right order, make sure the parts only drop when the hero who needs the Epic part is in that dungeon, make the stats for the weapon, make sure the stats scale correctly with its level, make all the material requirements for each level, make the damage modification work on the Epic, make all the hero's passives work even if they have the Epic (for example, 'Touch' passives sometimes don't work when a Hero gets their Epic), pluck out any little bugs that have to do with the Epic, put the Epic through testing, make sure it looks nice, make bundles for the Epic to put in the shop, and lastly... Release the Epic without crashing the game.

And I'm pretty sure BossFight is a fairly small team. So, that's why they can't make Epics so quickly. Also, Winterfest isn't even over. They still have to deal with that, on top of all the bugs and other complaints we give them every single day.
  • It probably takes a really long time to develop all that. They can't just make a new model, slap it onto the hero in place of their weapon, and call it a day. They have to actually craft the Epic, make sure it looks good, go through a couple designs, make sure it fits the Hero, in both character and actual size, model the weapon onto the hero, make sure the model moves with the hero when they move, make sure the animation looks clean, make sure the weapon glows correctly when they perform an epic attack...

(Deep breath)

...Make pictures for the Epic and it's parts, put those pictures in the elemental island, make sure the parts drop in the right order, make sure the parts only drop when the hero who needs the Epic part is in that dungeon, make the stats for the weapon, make sure the stats scale correctly with its level, make all the material requirements for each level, make the damage modification work on the Epic, make all the hero's passives work even if they have the Epic (for example, 'Touch' passives sometimes don't work when a Hero gets their Epic), pluck out any little bugs that have to do with the Epic, put the Epic through testing, make sure it looks nice, make bundles for the Epic to put in the shop, and lastly... Release the Epic without crashing the game.

And I'm pretty sure BossFight is a fairly small team. So, that's why they can't make Epics so quickly. Also, Winterfest isn't even over. They still have to deal with that, on top of all the bugs and other complaints we give them every single day.

But a lot of the dropping things can be copy pasted. After all epic drops work the same for every hero. And even so... I realize that it is not easy, however it does not take this long. They are a paid game development team. That is their job. They should be able to make one every maybe 2 months.
    Level 64
    Stormer of Towers
    Certified Trihard
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    It probably takes a really long time to develop all that. They can't just make a new model, slap it onto the hero in place of their weapon, and call it a day. They have to actually craft the Epic, make sure it looks good, go through a couple designs, make sure it fits the Hero, in both character and actual size, model the weapon onto the hero, make sure the model moves with the hero when they move, make sure the animation looks clean, make sure the weapon glows correctly when they perform an epic attack...

(Deep breath)

But a lot of the dropping things can be copy pasted. After all epic drops work the same for every hero. And even so... I realize that it is not easy, however it does not take this long. They are a paid game development team. That is their job. They should be able to make one every maybe 2 months.

I'm curious, can all of it really be copy and pasted? Also I'm pretty sure we've been getting Epics about every 2 months. I've gotta check the release dates of them, though.
  • It probably takes a really long time to develop all that. They can't just make a new model, slap it onto the hero in place of their weapon, and call it a day. They have to actually craft the Epic, make sure it looks good, go through a couple designs, make sure it fits the Hero, in both character and actual size, model the weapon onto the hero, make sure the model moves with the hero when they move, make sure the animation looks clean, make sure the weapon glows correctly when they perform an epic attack...

(Deep breath)

I'm curious, can all of it really be copy and pasted? Also I'm pretty sure we've been getting Epics about every 2 months. I've gotta check the release dates of them, though.

As someone who has absolutely no experience in gaming development let me tell you: you don’t reinvent the wheel for every epic. Once you have the elemental upgrades figured out it is all copy and paste. The only real work involved is artwork and deciding what the epic does. I’m not a graphic designer, but as a non-programmer I can tell you, once you’ve decided on the stat changes for the epic it can be easily implemented within 24 hours.
  • 28 heroes have epics so far. I've been playing nearly 2 years, and Epics weren't around for all of those two years. The release rate has been on average a great deal faster than one every two months.

What you describe is creating a new skin. An Epic needs to fit the design of the hero, be interesting and different, and hopefully not so overpowered that it ruins the game balance.

I'd rather they take their time and get them right, along with re-balancing some of the lesser heroes, than rush them out and mess them up.
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    edited January 2018
    As someone who has absolutely no experience in gaming development let me tell you: you don’t reinvent the wheel for every epic. Once you have the elemental upgrades figured out it is all copy and paste. The only real work involved is artwork and deciding what the epic does. I’m not a graphic designer, but as a non-programmer I can tell you, once you’ve decided on the stat changes for the epic it can be easily implemented within 24 hours.

You are probably right in most cases where the epic simply does one of the already-known effects of the game, assuming the existing coding or scripting is clean in general and there are no surprise size/storage limits, but there's also the allocation of development time, budget, q/a (on multiple devices in a multi-lingual environment), release-date-marketing-related decisions, etc.

Without knowing the exact size of the team, how much team time is devoted to developing epics, and the precise nature of the tools they're using, we can only speculate. The constraints aren't just technical (like everything else)

Reading this forum it seems many people have speculated that development resources for this game are limited.
  • I can't imagine an epic is much easier than a new hero.
    Awesome Farfella guy up there was created by jackhallow666^!!!
    Also, go gorgons!
  • farfella wrote: »
    I can't imagine an epic is much easier than a new hero.

Agreed! Stop with all the new heroes for a while and catch up the epics!. This is ridiculous, more than half of the heroes are useless.
  • Making a epic wouldnt at all be hard. Coding it would probably be the hard part if its a complex epic attack, but I seriously doubt it. Making a epic with 3D modeling would take 1-2 hours at most if its carefully detailed and perfected. Copy and paste jack, copy and paste. As someone who does practice 3D modeling, I can tell you that it isnt as hard as your making it look like.
  • Sure that might be If epics were literally the only thing left they had to do with the game but they probably got alot on their plates with events, support, PR, troubleshooting, working on whatever new ideas they have, day to day stuff and other such things
  • In my opinion it's a question of policy....with epic they don't get any money (I seriously doubt that anybody buys the epic packs) while with new hero and contents they assume to get money....that's the real reason in my opinion.