Patch Notes: June 20th, 2018 (Honorbound Hero Reworks!)

JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
edited June 20 in Patch Notes
Samurai Takumi Rework:
  • Attack+. Defense+, Health+, Skill-
  • Now has the Honorbound family tag.
  • Frost Katana is now an armor-piercing melee water attack on a targeted enemy that deals splash damage and has a chance to apply Frostbite to all enemies hit. In addition, Frost Katana's cooldown has been reduced from 6 to 4.
  • Bitter Strike now deals increased damage, a chance to freeze the target, and starts powered. Cooldown has been reduced from 7 to 3.
  • Guarding Strike is now Blade Fury. Blade Fury does 3 melee physical attacks on a targeted enemy and has a 20% chance to do a fourth. Cooldown: 4.
  • Perfect Swing, Armored, and Chillin' Master passives removed.
  • Now gets the Bushido passive. This passive lets a hero take less damage from AOE attacks (attacks that hit more than 1 enemy), and buffs applied to this hero last an additional round.
  • Now gets the Master of Combat passive. This passive counts as being armored, but also provides the additional benefits of preventing their attacks from missing or being dodged.
  • Now gets the Elemental Empowerment (Water) passive after being ascended once. This passive increases Takumi's attack for each water ally on his team.
  • Now gets the Proven Honor passive after being ascended once. This passive lets Honorbound allies do a revenge attack after being hit by a melee attack.
  • Now gets the Frost-Tipped Blades passive after being ascended twice. This passive gives all allies' melee physical attacks a chance to inflict Chill on a hit.

Yokozuna Rework:
  • Attack+. Defense+, Health+, Skill-
  • No longer has the Warrior class tag, now is only a Tank.
  • Taunt is now Hearty Taunt, which has the normal Taunt effect, but boosts max health instead of Defense. Still starts powered! Cooldown: 4.
  • Meditate is now Rest, which cleanses all debuffs, increases Yokozuna's energy by 2, and heals him. Cooldown: 6.
  • Warrior Heart and Rogue Hunter passives removed.
  • Now gets the Twinkle Toes passive after ascending Yokozuna once (was previously available while unascended). The dodge chance when Twinkle Toes is activated has been increased and scales with Yokozuna's level.
  • Now gets the Bushido passive. This passive lets a hero take less damage from AOE attacks (attacks that hit more than 1 enemy), and buffs applied to this hero last an additional round.
  • Now gets the Thick Skin passive, which reduces damage from physical attacks.
  • Now gets The Harder They Fall passive, which gives Yokozuna to knock enemies Off-Balance when he dies. This chance increases with each ascension (25%/50%/100%). Remember that this chance can be altered by resistances, so even the 100% is not a total guarantee.
  • Now gets the Slap of the Sumo passive after being ascended twice, which makes Yokozuna's basic attacks Provoke the target.

Hansuke Undying Rework: (Hansuke has fewer changes than the others since he has already gotten some reworks.)
  • Health+, Skill+

Other changes:
  • Balog's Cry Havoc no longer silences enemies that it misses.
  • To avoid confusion, Shadowblade's "Assassin Shadowblade" skin has been renamed to "Master Shadowblade".
  • Fixed typos on Dim Mak and Vampiric Shuriken.
Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
www.bossfightentertainment.com
Post edited by Joel on
Tagged:

Comments

• Joel wrote: »
    Samurai Takumi Rework:

[*] Now gets the Elemental Empowerment (Water) passive after being ascended once. This passive increases the attack strength of water allies.

Joel your description of Elemental Empowerment is significantly different from what's shown in game.

v3ttetae47w4.jpg

Which one is correct?
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 20
    Hey, we called it! We’ve been asking for a class tag for the Asian-inspired heroes forever, and they delivered! Woohoo!

But for the record, shouldn’t Sifu also be under that category? I get him being both an Assassin and an Honorbound Hero might be a little much, but since Sifu was previously so useless, it would be refreshing to see him as a common pick.
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    @lythander The one in game is correct. I misread the notes I had as "increases attack for each water ally on team" as "increases attack OF each water ally on team".

• cool upgrades. might be enough to make these guys playable again
  • danacdanac Member
    Joel wrote: »
    [*] Now gets the Proven Honor passive after being ascended once. This passive lets Honorbound allies do a revenge attack after being hit by a melee attack.

Other changes:
    • Balog's Cry Havoc no longer silences enemies that it misses.

The text in game for proven honor says allies have "a chance" to revenge.
    I forget if Yoko has perfect swing, and idk about deadeye, but otherwise they will always hit.

Balog not silencing assassins will make them more powerful. expect people to start *really* complaining about RNG in PVP soon.

• So NO Aria rework? Are you really serious @Joel ? I understand she probably wouldn't be with the honor-bound heroes, but COME ON!!!
    danac wrote: »
    Joel wrote: »
    [*]
    The text in game for proven honor says allies have "a chance" to revenge.
    I forget if Yoko has perfect swing, and idk about deadeye, but otherwise they will always hit.

There are corner cases (freeze, for example) that can prevent a revenge attack from happening, but generally, it will happen.
  • StinkyStinky Member
    Maybe they'll make Aria an honorbound hero after the dust settles from this recent shake-up, especially when you consider Danac's point about the assassins. Along with Zen, perhaps. You can't deny that Yoko and Takumi really needed the love.
  • Well, the balog change is worth it lol. Thanks for nerfing the barbs finally!
  • morillimorilli Member
    @Joel Abigail's epic attack counts as an AOE? She hits multiple enemies but never at the same time. Just trying to get a handle as to what constitutes AOE?
    IF an attack hits multiple enemies, it counts as an AOE.
  • coneyKconeyK Member
    morilli wrote: »
    @Joel Abigail's epic attack counts as an AOE? She hits multiple enemies but never at the same time. Just trying to get a handle as to what constitutes AOE?

The “Rampage” style attacks fall under the AOE category. Ie, the ones with random attacks backed into them.
  • morillimorilli Member
    Would it do any good to campaign to have those kind of attacks re-classified? Calling them AOE is really a misnomer and a little unfair.
  • YykkilYykkil Member
    An attack hits multiple enemies? does that include splash damage? grog-gnog or drakk's basic attacks? agnon's hardened assault? furnace's basic attack? its not very clear...
  • I’m surprised Sir William isn’t also honorbound. He was reworked last week. It would fit with him being a knight.
    FINAL BOSS OFFICER
    9gJSaHl.gif
  • StinkyStinky Member
    I’m surprised Sir William isn’t also honorbound. He was reworked last week. It would fit with him being a knight.

Maybe they're going to make a different family for knights. Astrid, Sir W, Augustus, Executum all fit that description; if Hansuke can become an honorbound I don't see why OE can't become multi-family, too.
    I’m surprised Sir William isn’t also honorbound. He was reworked last week. It would fit with him being a knight.

It’s because it’s a different type of honor. The new honorbound heroes are honorbound in the way samurais were in feudal Japan. As in, if they dishonored themselves, their leaders, or family, they’d probably take their own life.
    European knights were honorable, but not nearly to the same degree. Knights sometimes questioned their leaders’ choices or in some stories, even betrayed them. A samurai would never do such a thing.
    Deathriftx wrote: »
    So NO Aria rework? Are you really serious Joel ? I understand she probably wouldn't be with the honor-bound heroes, but COME ON!!!

I think they want to keep ‘Rogue’ as a class. With the last few updates, many Rogues became other classes, so there’s no not actually that many left now. I’m sure Rogues will get a legendary hero at some point, along with a new class-related passive and general buffs among Rogues.
  • Good update overall, love the work you guys are doing to make all heroes viable. That said, really not a fan of multi family heroes, Hansuke really doesn't fit into this family past aesthetics. With no passives that benefit other Honors, it really doesn't seem smart to pair him not with undead. Slapping a family tag on someone that makes sense in theory but doing no reworks to make them fit kinda just weakens the family. Make Zen honorbound instead, and don't just slap a family title on characters without good reason.
  • StinkyStinky Member
    edited June 20
    I think overlapping families makes for more interesting possibilities. In this case, Han/Tak/Yoko/Zomm might be a cool combo. Considering all they had to do is slap the Bushido trait on Han, I think it's worthwhile.
  • danacdanac Member

It’s because it’s a different type of honor. The new honorbound heroes are honorbound in the way samurais were in feudal Japan. As in, if they dishonored themselves, their leaders, or family, they’d probably take their own life.

I'd like to see Hansuke try.
  • Kegman913Kegman913 Member
    edited June 21
    Only problem with updating this many characters so fast, is that no one really had BD, MK, Yoko, Tak, William or Sifu runed well. Once the next meta is figured out, these characters wont get another look even if they are any good and runed well because the next meta will be here.
    Kegman913 wrote: »
    Only problem with updating this many characters so fast, is that no one really had BD, MK, Yoko, Tak, William or Sifu runed well. Once the next meta is figured out, these characters wont get another look even if they are any good once their eventually runed well

Yeah, but that's really our problem when you think about it. We had these heroes either poorly runed or just not runed at all because PvP used to choose your opponents based on Rune power. So... I guess in that sense, it's also kinda their fault, too.

It'd be nice if they gave us a week's worth of heads-up before these things, maybe. Like, "Hey, we're gonna rework (so and so) heroes, so rune them up if you'd like!"

It's not a perfect solution, because we don't know HOW good they'll be, so it might not even be worth runeing them, but it would at least give us some time to prepare some new runes. And if it's not worth it, then hey, you've got some new runes for another hero!
  • morilli wrote: »

Agreed. The stated definition is still not clear.

What about Grog-Gnog's basic attack? It could hit one hero twice or two heroes once each. Does the latter constitute a AOE attack, but the former not? What if there is only one enemy left standing? Does that mean nobody's attacks counts as AOE, because they only hit one enemy?

What about Kreagg's attack? He can hit one hero several times, or several heroes one at a time. AOE?

Bovus' epic attack? Again it could hit one enemy three times, or three different enemies.

What about Black Diamond's assassinate attack? If she kills the first enemy she gets another go, as so on. So it could be a single attack if she doens't kill the first enemy, but an AOE by your definition if it does. What if the first kill is Hansuke?

What about Hopper's Just A Taste? This clearly hits all living enemies, but one at a time. I've had the attack kill one enemy, then kill Leonidas so he revived the first kill. Ditto with Masuta Kira' Death Blossom. These are AOE by your definition.

Is AOE only an attack which hits all enemies at once (e.g. all Kobal's attacks), and everything else a series of single attacks, or something else?

Could AOE just be added to all to the ability description of all attacks that actually are AOE, for complete clarity?

• Joel said it's aoe if it hits mutiple enemies, so answer yes to literally every post under that asking about a specific attack xD I'm so helpful
  • BarleymanBarleyman Member
    edited June 21
    Stinky wrote: »
    Maybe they'll make Aria an honorbound hero after the dust settles from this recent shake-up, especially when you consider Danac's point about the assassins. Along with Zen, perhaps. You can't deny that Yoko and Takumi really needed the love.

Aria is not Japanese (at least Aria is not a Japanese name), as the other Honorbound heroes are. Zen is most likely Chinese, not Japanese.

I see the introduction of a new light hero plus rework of several other light heroes as a boost in usefulness for Aria and Zen, nonetheless.
  • morillimorilli Member
    @Barleyman So basically according to people who run this thing. Any attack that has the potential to strike more the one opponent in a single turn would be considered AOE. So Grog-Gnogs Epic, Along with Abigail, Shadow Blade, along with others would be considered AOE. I disagree with this categorization but I don't own the game or the company making the game. To me AOE would be things like Koros Purging Pyre, Nitpick's Meteor Storm, Ice Pick's Hailstorm and Marrow's Light Nova. To me these are all classic AOE because everyone at once is attacked.

I suspect these other attacks, Abigail et all, are classified this way for convenience because the coding for it would get extremely difficult.
  • mrdahlmrdahl Member
    To me, an AoE is an attack that hits all opponents. The others are single target or a series of singel target attacks
    Make Reptiles Great Again!
  • mrdahl wrote: »
    To me, an AoE is an attack that hits all opponents. The others are single target or a series of singel target attacks
    AOE attacks don’t actually exist in this game. They are either an attack(s) on single target OR series of attacks on (possibly) multiple targets. The latter is considered AOE.
  • Cbaos storm hits everything at once. aoe