PvP Matchmaking Solution

I don’t know about everyone else, but the difficulty of my PvP opponents varies super dramatically from day to day. Some days I’ll have a 10-15+ win streak, and the next I’ll lose 10 in a row.

I think that currently the matchmaking process is based on total roster power. But really all this does for me is make me hesitant to upgrade new heroes and try new strategies. I know that by diversifying my roster it will pit me up against more difficult opponents.

What if the matchmaking system was based on your trophy count? Those who win games move up to fight higher level opponents. And if you lose, it drops you down to where you can handle the competition better. This would allow for players to demonstrate their skill at the game while also allowing the level of their heroes to play a part. Better rewards at higher trophy levels is a great incentive to prevent players from intentionally dropping trophy’s to get easy matchups.

The higher level players would naturally float to the top due to their high level heroes, but aren’t they the ones that need the max Tier rewards? There would definitely need to be some reworking in the rewards system to accommodate this and that would be one potential drawback.

The other thing that would make this difficult is where to initially start every player. As of now, you can be a level 30 player in legend 1. But with this system that’s highly unlikely and you would get destroyed as people with high level heroes climb the trophy ladder. To avoid this everyone would probably need to be just assigned a starting position (based on level? Or maybe the power of your top 4 heroes) to even things out.

This system might make those level 30 players in legend 1 not so happy. But I also think it’s pretty lame they are being rewarded for not diversifying their roster. My hope is that with this system my daily PvP matches will be more consistent. Players with slightly less skill at the game but slightly higher leveled heroes, and players a little better at the game but with slightly lower level heroes will be the people I’m queued up against. I just think this would be something great to consider.

If I could get a response or some feedback from the community or @Joel that would be awesome.

Thanks!!
Tagged:

Comments

• hatredhatred Member
    Would hit f2p or new players too hard. IMO pvp matchmaking should be based on a formula that adds up a few weighted stats. The formula could factor in total power of top 4 heroes, current trophies, total roster power. This way it gives some leeway that allows skilled f2p and new players to rise ranks without discouraging people from trying new strategies or leveling new heroes, or encouraging gaming the system (like not summoning or leveling heroes besides the ones you use most often).
  • ArconnArconn Member
    @hatred I totally agree. I think just a good formula rework would be nice to keep things balanced.
  • StinkyStinky Member
    Why not base it on rune power? It's not a perfect solution, as a well runed Phemus/Ponti/Red Dwarf/Yellow Dwarf team isn't as dangerous as a well runed barb team, but considering the current system is really erratic anyway it would at least make more sense. The game would determine your rune power based on your sixteen best runes; easy/medium/hard teams would be classified as having something like ~30%/65%/100% of this total.
  • RocksorRocksor Member
    level 20-30 were already paired against level 70s once they reached legend 3 last year during the pre-season of pvp. Anyone less than level 65 easily saw 40 defeats in less than 1 hour. I guess the data they collected during that month or 2 wasn't enough to convince the devs to reserve legend rank for level 65 or above.

Shortly thereafter, there were many discussions and experiments which determined that the matchmaking was being based on a certain number of commonly used heros, like top 16 used for pvp or something like that, plus the total roster power. The devs have probably changed it since then.

If you want to encourage folks to increase the level of other heroes, then they could let the player choose any 4 heroes for pvp without seeing their opponents, then based on the 4 attacking heroes choosen, 3 defenses within a certain range of power and level would be chosen for easy, medium, hard, where the attacking player would then choose from the 3. I'm sure many folks won't like this because they are going in "blind" when choosing an attacking team.
  • Rocksor wrote: »
    level 20-30 were already paired against level 70s once they reached legend 3 last year during the pre-season of pvp. Anyone less than level 65 easily saw 40 defeats in less than 1 hour. I guess the data they collected during that month or 2 wasn't enough to convince the devs to reserve legend rank for level 65 or above.

Shortly thereafter, there were many discussions and experiments which determined that the matchmaking was being based on a certain number of commonly used heros, like top 16 used for pvp or something like that, plus the total roster power. The devs have probably changed it since then.

If you want to encourage folks to increase the level of other heroes, then they could let the player choose any 4 heroes for pvp without seeing their opponents, then based on the 4 attacking heroes choosen, 3 defenses within a certain range of power and level would be chosen for easy, medium, hard, where the attacking player would then choose from the 3. I'm sure many folks won't like this because they are going in "blind" when choosing an attacking team.

No, that blind attacking would detract from the game so much. I already think runes did where you used to be able to change teams based on who you're fighting.
  • @Arconn While I appreciate your willingness to help the devs improve this game, I don’t agree at all with your suggestions.
    First of all, the system is not based on total RP. It’s *partly* based on the RP of your top few heroes.
    Next, a system based on trophy count would be totally unfair for long term players that don’t hit PvP super hard. It’s hard to avoid building up a decent trophy count over time even without crushing PvP. This would only lead to yet more old players leaving, damaging the player base.
    A system based on wins and losses would not be able to support itself. As opponents duke it out, in theory they would end up with players that match or exceed their skill. This would mean that higher level players would simply make their way back down the ladder and unskilled players would make their way up, balancing everything out and basically creating a black hole PvP area that everyone is mashed into besides the very best and very worst.
    Finally, your suggestion would ruin the devs. In my experience, those level 30 players in legend 1 turn out to be the main spenders in terms of real money. The devs are already practically begging as it is, and chasing away their lifeline would probably lead the shutdown of the entire game.

Again, I’m not bashing you personally, I’m just explaining how your idea might not work as well as one would think at first glance based on my experience with this game.
  • ArconnArconn Member
    @Swordking35

Okay so this is definitely the answer I was looking for. I knew if it was as simple as I made it sound they would have implented it already! Thanks for pointing out the flaws in that system and help me understand the current system!

Besides the power of your top few heroes, do you know the other factors that determine PvP matchups?
  • To be honest, I’m not 100% sure. I know that is based on your top few heroes, as I have said, but past that and level I can’t tell. I don’t think PvP rank is involved, but many of my guild mates do.
  • lost_jumper1lost_jumper1 Member
    edited August 21
    I make boss 100 every week f2p. I dont when it requires me purchasing boss 100 because of events like PvP events. I do easily and fight less than 20 decent players a week...i have a very low roster power cause most roster isn't PvP valid. I only play because I'm successful I worry. But if I'm in 12th place and I'm trying to get to 10th I should have to go through 11th place. But instead all I have to do is not missplay vs 20 scrubs say 11th only makes 19scrubs. This is lame asf. The post here is in the right direction trophy count is the most important thing that should factor into a competition ruled around who has what trophy count. If ur not able to beat boss 100players regularly than u not a real boss 100player that simple. If u think a person who spent 200dollars on runes shouldn't be who u have to beat to boss 100 than I don't think u a Boss

PS I'm referring to trophy count each week not lifetime!