I give up, Barbarians are so overpowered

DrJawaPhDDrJawaPhD Member
edited October 2018 in Feedback & Suggestions
I've been playing this game a few months now, and am up to level 70. It's really fun and addictive, but its PVP is by far the worst balanced game I have ever played in 20 years of online gaming. My son already quit because of how overpowered Barbarians are, and now I'm going to join him.

I have done a bunch of reading on the forums and I get it that there is a very specific comp of rare heroes (that I don't have) that actually stand a chance against Barbarians, but I don't have Ferno, my Agnon is 2 stars, Emily is 3 stars, and their tokens are REALLY hard to come by. You shouldn't have to play this game for many years and have every character maxed out to stand a chance in PVP!

I don't expect to dominate after only playing a few months, but the discrepancy is ridiculous. My team is over 5500 rune power, and does really well against everything else, but Barbarians are just impossible unless they're under 2000 rune power. Dwarves are borderline OP but I still have a chance to win; Beasts are freakin annoying but beatable with patience; Assassins have good synergy but are pretty easy actually. The Tower is impossible to clear past about floor 5 before I meet an impossible Barbarian floor, which locks me out of gems and Pwnage points. PVP costs tons of gold because I have to dodge over half the teams because everyone uses Barbarians.

How does the Dungeon Boss team not think this is a major problem that almost everyone uses the same PVP team which is only beatable with a specific comp of heroes that are very hard to obtain? How many new players need to quit because you realize it is insanely overpowered? Or do you not care since the longtime hardcore players spend the most money and they have all Ferno/Agnon/Emily already?

Comments

• Ferno, Goretusk, Emily and Zoom. That works a lot of the time, but is the only teamI have any success with.
  • It's a shame to hear of new players driven to the point of quitting in frustration by any aspect of the game.

Save up gems and get Ferno when he appears in the Portal, if you can stick around.

• edited October 2018
    I think the OP's point was that the heroes needed to beat the Barb team (all except Drak available from normal portal pulls or campaign) are a group of rare heroes that are very difficult to obtain stars/ascensions for. 70 is no longer top level, but level 70 players (achievable in 3 months of play with the way players are force fed xp) WILL consistently be facing rosters that have played for 2 or more YEARS, both in tower and PvP. The only reason a significant number of senior players even stick around and deal with the mess both tower and PvP have become is guild loyalty. That only goes so far, as can be seen by the membership of Level Capped, once universally dominant, and now a sad, decayed, Ozymandias of the older game.

If you don't get the reference, READ A BOOK!!!

IF you don't get THAT reference, I pity you.
    Serve and be happy, citizen. The Computer is your friend!

• YykkilYykkil Member
    edited October 2018
    I mostly agree with the OP that Barbarians are killjoys. They are relatively far stronger than other heroes when compared at similar power levels, and their counters are severely limited. If you do not have any heroes that can actively purge, your chances of success are very low. This design is questionable.

However, note that many players will state that since they invested the time/money in building up a varied roster, they should in fact have the benefit of having certain tactical advantages that others don't, because otherwise there wouldn't be a point in having all the heroes if every team could be beaten with any selection of heroes.

I would argue that the Barbarians' win conditions are too specific - in that you need to have a high frequency of purging abilities/attacks, and that few heroes are actually viable for this role. That hero will also likely get Silenced by Balog unless you use Deadeye or 2 energy rune Emily - again, highly specific options.

I also think unknown_player's post summarised a broader issue with game balance for new players in one sentence:
    level 70 players (achievable in 3 months of play with the way players are force fed xp) WILL consistently be facing rosters that have played for 2 or more YEARS, both in tower and PvP.

There is no obvious solution.
  • @DrJawaPhD - you should read my guide to PvP.
    https://forum.dungeonboss.com/discussion/60173/muppet-guide-to-pvp#latest
    Barbarians should be easy now. Search for @Rolla8’s video on beating barbarians. The most difficult teams now are dwarves.
  • bvs72 wrote: »
    @DrJawaPhD - you should read my guide to PvP.
    https://forum.dungeonboss.com/discussion/60173/muppet-guide-to-pvp#latest
    Barbarians should be easy now. Search for @Rolla8’s video on beating barbarians. The most difficult teams now are dwarves.
    I think Rolla8's anti-barb teams all feature Ferno, which isn't an option for DrJawaPhD.

To be honest, I can't imagine beating barbs without Ferno. You could try Koros and/or Kozar if you have them? Cry Havoc will kill Koros - it kills my Ferno reliably - but hopefully your Emily survives and can res him, so he can then deliver justice on the filthy barbarian hordes. Kozar has a chance* to reset their rage every time he revenge attacks, so make him as tanky as possible and he might be able to live long enough to do something.

*I know that Kozar has a 100% chance to dispel one buff, but he can end up dispelling a buff you don't care about.
  • Barleyman wrote: »
    It's a shame to hear of new players driven to the point of quitting in frustration by any aspect of the game.

Save up gems and get Ferno when he appears in the Portal, if you can stick around.

Nah I'm done, this game has nothing left to do. Tower is literally impossible to clear, PVP is a stupid dance of searching for non-Barbarian teams (and then destroying them 95% of the time), and I've cleared everything Campaign except the boss mode dungeons which require heroes I don't have.

Even if Ferno magically appeared for me overnight, I'm at the point where I just don't even want to continue investing time in a game with such pathetic PVP balance. It's not like OP Barbarians just came out and the developers haven't had a chance to react yet. They honestly think Barbarians are fine, and that tells me this game is not worth playing.
    bvs72 wrote: »

I've read advice similar to this before, and have followed most of this advice. For example in the tower I mostly get teams 10-15 levels below me, and can beat most of them using the green autoattack autoplay button, but once I hit a Barbarian floor it is game over no matter how far below me they are. Even a level 58 Barbarian team at 2500 rune power will destroy a level 70 with 5500 rune power if you don't have the specific rare hero required to counter them.

Also this isn't really a "guide to PVP", it is more like a guide to creatively using (abusing?) badly designed game mechanics in order to cheese matchup algorithms in your favor. Just another confirmation that the game is badly balanced and not worth playing.
  • Sorry to see u found no enjoyment from DB, wish u have fun in ur next game.
  • New players are at such a disadvanrtage. There are so many heroes now that are needed. If I was BF, I would give them a free hero unlock at each level increase. New players are needed for the continued success of the game.
  • Whoever thought 5 raged bull rush and rage cage was acceptable needs to be taken into a dark alley and beat senseless.

**** Barbarians
  • bvs72 wrote: »
    New players are at such a disadvanrtage. There are so many heroes now that are needed. If I was BF, I would give them a free hero unlock at each level increase. New players are needed for the continued success of the game.

80 levels =80 heroes.

Maybe one every 5 levels.
    But then you're making massive gems leveling up.
    I'd say just a free heroic summons every level or 5 levels.

• Free 10x honor summon, 10x great summon, and 1x heroic per level
  • theme creator is right, it's obvious that barbs op, when their counter - assassins doesn't have a chance against(same rune lvl).

Yet I appreciate abi, balog, ignus rework, it's cool and respectible that dev gave this heroes second life.
  • I agree, if they was to remove britle rage its easier to beat and balanced! having 3 turns of immunity to dmg ? op. I feel your sons pain and your pain as well
    Join The Common Cold! With Disease and Chill on our side, we shall spread The Common Cold! become a Common Cold Member today!
  • I agree, if they was to remove britle rage its easier to beat and balanced! having 3 turns of immunity to dmg ? op. I feel your sons pain and your pain as well

3 turns? You can kill them second turn if you can do the damage.
  • Please take a moment to send your complaints directly to Boss Fight here:
    https://bossfightentertainment.com/contact