Worried with Fallout 76

Fallout 76 comes out tomorrow for the Xbox one. The BETA Reviews aren’t pretty. Though I’m still trying to find hope in the game Im not blind to the obvious flaws it has and the criticism. I preordered Fallout 76, but unfortunately never got the beta code. That means I haven’t actually tried the game yet (Well, until tomorrow.)

A big part of me wants to enjoy the game, while the other part knows I’ll most likely be disappointed.

Any ideas or thoughts? Should I just try the game and see if it fits my taste?
Current Level: 70
Proud Member of the Potato Family
"We should have more tags."
Favorite Hero: Bauble

Comments

• You are here. Disappointment isn’t new to you. You can enjoy a game while being very disappointed.
  • Play a friend's FO76. Wait to see if you like it.

And if this is what off-topic is for...
  • I recently downloaded Fallout 4 and GTA V on my PC, for $60 and $20 respectively, as Fallout 3 and GTA 4 won't run in Windows 10 (at least, I haven't managed to get them to).

Fallout 4 seems just like Fallout 3 so far, except that they threw a Deathclaw at me very early on, I got stuck in Power armor that I couldn't take off until the fusion core battery ran out, and I've got 1/2 my health bar blocked with radiation and can't find a Rad Away for love nor money. Now I'm facing a pack of about 20 Feral Ghouls, any one of which could take my head off with one blow. As a consequence I'm playing...

GTA V, which whilst being much like GTA 4 in many ways, is just a total blast to play. Switching between 3 playable characters at present, and about 30% of the way through the game.

I'm expecting Fallout 76 to be much like all the Previous Fallouts, and thus not yet worth my investing in at present.

I've also got Skyrim and Hidden and Dangerous 2 to play, and also Dungeon Siege which is old but runs well, and I had a lot of fun with years ago.

My home gaming time is thus fully occupied, and BD is purely for Daily quests and the Tower until they produce an event I can enjoy without spending $$$$s.
  • Borderlands series here. Same reasons.
    Serve and be happy, citizen. The Computer is your friend!

• Barleyman wrote: »
    I recently downloaded Fallout 4 and GTA V on my PC, for $60 and $20 respectively, as Fallout 3 and GTA 4 won't run in Windows 10 (at least, I haven't managed to get them to).

Fallout 4 seems just like Fallout 3 so far, ......

it won't run?
    I recently downloaded Fallout 4 and GTA V on my PC, for $60 and $20 respectively, as Fallout 3 and GTA 4 won't run in Windows 10 (at least, I haven't managed to get them to).

Fallout 4 seems just like Fallout 3 so far, except that they threw a Deathclaw at me very early on, I got stuck in Power armor that I couldn't take off until the fusion core battery ran out, and I've got 1/2 my health bar blocked with radiation and can't find a Rad Away for love nor money. Now I'm facing a pack of about 20 Feral Ghouls, any one of which could take my head off with one blow. As a consequence I'm playing...

GTA V, which whilst being much like GTA 4 in many ways, is just a total blast to play. Switching between 3 playable characters at present, and about 30% of the way through the game.

I'm expecting Fallout 76 to be much like all the Previous Fallouts, and thus not yet worth my investing in at present.

I've also got Skyrim and Hidden and Dangerous 2 to play, and also Dungeon Siege which is old but runs well, and I had a lot of fun with years ago.

My home gaming time is thus fully occupied, and BD is purely for Daily quests and the Tower until they produce an event I can enjoy without spending $$$$s.

Oh, in my option Fallout 4 is bloody awesome! Though, it’s the only Fallout game I have played so far, so I don’t know how it compares to the others in the series.

I’d say if your in a pickle with getting killed a lot, or stuck somewhere, make a new character and try to plan out your Special stats and perks for a build you’re comfortable with. Or, turn down the difficulty if enemies do too much damage.
    Current Level: 70
    Proud Member of the Potato Family
    "We should have more tags."
    Favorite Hero: Bauble
  • I mean to get back to doing more PC gaming as soon as I get a better chair. In the meantime I've gone oldschool on mobile with roguelikes. There's some great choices out there, and they're very affordable.

I really loved the Civilization series (and Fallout way back in the day) but wonder if the new offerings bring anything really worthwhile to the series.

I had my run with major MMO's and while they were fun, they tended to consume all of my free time and seemed to become repetitive - also hard to play when you've got Real Life responsibilities getting in the way.
  • Yeah, my PC gaming chair is a 1960s armchair that some member of my wife's family sawed the legs off of and mounted a swivel/rocker attachment to the bottom. I love it because:
    Low to the ground
    Fabric upholstery
    Swivel/rock
    Armchair
    Free
    And the style reminds me of the command chair from Star Trek tos.

• The golden rule: wait. I would never preorder or buy something until reviews and information become available, unless you have such strong faith and respect for the developers that you don't mind throwing money at them in case they deliver a product below your expectations.
  • Yeah, I got shafted by Duke Nukem Forever that way. Good game, but not worth the 50$ plus cost of computer upgrades to play on day 1.

• Oh, in my option Fallout 4 is bloody awesome! Though, it’s the only Fallout game I have played so far, so I don’t know how it compares to the others in the series.

I’d say if your in a pickle with getting killed a lot, or stuck somewhere, make a new character and try to plan out your Special stats and perks for a build you’re comfortable with. Or, turn down the difficulty if enemies do too much damage.

I've played Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas before (and Fallout Shelter as a mobile game). In Fallout 4 they appear to have done away with weapon degradation, where a weapon slowly breaks and you have to either combine parts or in other ways repair the weapon. That's a relief, it was a stupid unrealistic and annoying mechanic. Pistols don't break just because you fired 1,000 shots through them.

They have however added a fusion core to the power armor, so without power the armor is useless. Just moving around in the armor appears to drain the core.

I avoided the Deathclaw for now (until I have some better weapons) and killed the Feral ghouls by sniping. I made it to a town where the doctor can fix up my radiation issues, and I can use the town as a base for further exploration.

My playing style favors sneak and snipe, I much prefer to take out my enemies without them seeing me.
    My playing style favors sneak and snipe, I much prefer to take out my enemies without them seeing me.

never got around to playing Fallout, tho I have them sitting around somewhere, but sneak and snipe was how I went through Quake.

especially the ones with turrets inside doors

• Seen several reviews of Fallout 76, looks like it's a complete dog's egg, but also not a game I'd be playing anyway. I just don't have the time for online-only gaming outside of mobile games.

I have rediscovered Fallout Shelter. Stopped playing this 3 years ago because I'd done everything there was to do. Now with daily and weekly quests, weapon and armor crafting and a bunch of other stuff, I've revived my fully-developed 200 person vault and am having fun again. $60 cheaper than Fallout 76 on the PC.