Frightmare Before Winterfest!

JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
Keep an eye out for some spookiness with a chance of snow later today, because the Frightmare Before Winterfest is on its way.

It won't be starting right at three, but will be starting today with frightful glee.

Candy corns in pumpkins will be back one more, and you'll be able to get your hands on skins galore!
Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
www.bossfightentertainment.com
Post edited by Joel on
Tagged:

Comments

• Pray the reward payouts are fair enough for all players to get the good stuff. (Or they will really be under fire.)
    Total Zomminionation.
  • Ok so I took a quick look. There are 10 event banners. At first glance:

It looks like there's an event running, and I can purchase a skin to give me a 120% candy corn boost. (I have no idea which one that is in the shop.) It also mentions some bonus today only (I don't do today only purchases so I didn't look further.)

So I went to the event shop and first I see for $15 I can be the first to unlock a hero I already have unlocked and get 20 craw tokens and some quests for $15 (quests, which in my opinion, should be part of the main game and not require paying for). Next I can pay $9 and get 1 of 3 skins or THREE whole heroic summons if I have it already. Then we have a 30K warrior rune, and 2 9K skins, but these all expire in 21 hours, and given past events I have no expectation of being able to gather 9K this evening.

Mind you, this is just a first glance, first impression.

Now I'll try a few of the dungeons with skinned heroes (a shameless way to get people to feel like they don't have enough skins and should buy some, and also a fun exercise remembering what all my heroes look like in skins ;)

If the payouts without paying are poor, I'll do my dailies and take another week off.

"The way to get all but the most impulsive and rich people to pay to support the game is to provide a community and game they feel invested in, part of, and a sense of accomplishment. Punishing, coercing, negative messaging, excluding, these will all cause players to go elsewhere." There are plenty of mobile game choices.

Thank you for your time - I feel better now.
  • JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
    For clarification regarding the Frightmare Skin/Boost offer: You will only get the Heroic Summons if you already have all three skins offered. If any of the skins offered are not already in your collection, you are guaranteed to get one of them.
    Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
    www.bossfightentertainment.com
  • ApocalyptusApocalyptus Member
    edited December 5
    Event has started.

Also: D**k move on putting an Ultimate skin to a leaderboard to the #1 player with the most candy corn, you should have put it on a community leaderboard.

Community Challenge: All Players Gather as much candy corn as you can.

Rewards: #1 get Ultimate Hansuke skin (Long Johnsuke.) runes etc. and vice versa.

You need to enforce community challenges over PvP leaderboard challenges and the player base may grow better and attract more players in general.
    Total Zomminionation.
  • uacaiucg9ieg.jpg

Oh, so we're doing blatant upgrades from ultimate skins now? With 0 downsides?

mu7nrdpnxg52.jpg

• @Apocalyptus calm down bud. Its not that the top player is the only one who gets the skin. If you took the time to actually look at the rewards listed on the leaderboard, you would see that anyone who gets 150k corn gets the skin. With the payouts of old times restored, that’s a reasonable number.
  • Will the boost last the whole event if you buy it today or will it only last one day?
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    edited December 6
    Ok I spent about 1-1.5 hrs doing some dailies and a few tests (and monitoring my soup on the stove).

I ran 3 pvp raids for 95/95/95
    I ran vault challenge for 64/128/24
    I ran creepy castle for 72/58/115
    ql'ed it for 10/11/10
    I ran Gastly Grotto 152/120/40
    I ran Halls/Dr. Dwarf 120/120/128

1200 addl in completeed quest rewards for a total of 2623.

Conclusions: If I played hard tonight I could make the 9K for the 21h shop skins, but the cost in stamina would be serious, and if I deplete my stam now I won't have any for winterfest. As for 150K for the event, with these payouts, not without spending $$$ and I'm not inclined to, even though I'll have to go up against those no-freeze skins in pvp someday.

Also, I strongly suspect there's a bug with the initial ticket/corn display. After my first 3 pvp's it said 270 even though the rewards said 95 each and I firmly believe I started with 148. I thought the same thing might have happened in a previous event, too. I have no proof, but I sure will snap shots next event.

(There also may be a slight roundoff error in the total corn...haven't thoroughly looked at it.)

Real Life calls. I will check tomorrow to see if I can afford any candy corn items in tomorrow's store, only time will tell.

I'll probably stop for the night - just burning stamina for no reason. Maybe piddle a little later on if bored.

Oh, and I was knocked out to homescreen 3 times (left & restarted the game once on my own) on my 4th gen ipad running IOS 10.
  • OhtOht Member
    Joel wrote: »
    For clarification regarding the Frightmare Skin/Boost offer: You will only get the Heroic Summons if you already have all three skins offered. If any of the skins offered are not already in your collection, you are guaranteed to get one of them.

Oh. Well, I guess I didn't get three heroic summons then (have 6 free ones already and no way to tell if I got 3 more). I already had Ignis skin, I do not, and still do not have rogar or ice princess whose name I can't think of at the moment. Will contact customer support I guess.
  • Does the event boost last the entire event or just one day?
  • BlothBloth Member
    edited December 6
    Joel wrote: »

My fault for not really reading it. Was under the impression I would get the Drakk skin with this purchase. Wasted $8.99
    Post edited by Bloth on
  • I need the hansuke skin.i will pay lots of money for it. Max of 200
    Join The Common Cold! With Disease and Chill on our side, we shall spread The Common Cold! become a Common Cold Member today!
  • Corn payouts are reasonable for ftp. It will still take a fair amount of grinding to get to 150,000 corn but a big improvement over recent events.

This event’s payouts should be the gold standard. Well done.
  • OhtOht Member
    Corn payouts are reasonable for ftp. It will still take a fair amount of grinding to get to 150,000 corn but a big improvement over recent events.

Huge difference. This event is actually playable/doable. With the $9 intruder drak boost anyway.

• sirtainly wrote: »
    Ok I spent about 1-1.5 hrs doing some dailies and a few tests (and monitoring my soup on the stove).

I ran 3 pvp raids for 95/95/95
    I ran vault challenge for 64/128/24
    I ran creepy castle for 72/58/115
    ql'ed it for 10/11/10
    I ran Gastly Grotto 152/120/40
    I ran Halls/Dr. Dwarf 120/120/128

1200 addl in completeed quest rewards for a total of 2623.

Conclusions: If I played hard tonight I could make the 9K for the 21h shop skins, but the cost in stamina would be serious, and if I deplete my stam now I won't have any for winterfest. As for 150K for the event, with these payouts, not without spending $$$ and I'm not inclined to, even though I'll have to go up against those no-freeze skins in pvp someday.

Also, I strongly suspect there's a bug with the initial ticket/corn display. After my first 3 pvp's it said 270 even though the rewards said 95 each and I firmly believe I started with 148. I thought the same thing might have happened in a previous event, too. I have no proof, but I sure will snap shots next event.

(There also may be a slight roundoff error in the total corn...haven't thoroughly looked at it.)

Real Life calls. I will check tomorrow to see if I can afford any candy corn items in tomorrow's store, only time will tell.

I'll probably stop for the night - just burning stamina for no reason. Maybe piddle a little later on if bored.

Oh, and I was knocked out to homescreen 3 times (left & restarted the game once on my own) on my 4th gen ipad running IOS 10.

You’d get substantially more with the featured skins...
  • Best event in awhile. Boost was reasonable in price and well worth it. Well done, this reminds me of how dB used to be. However I’m sure very soon you will dissapoint me but today I’m happy lol.
  • Corn payouts are reasonable for ftp. It will still take a fair amount of grinding to get to 150,000 corn but a big improvement over recent events.

Gold standard my ****. The event payouts are still abysmal, and these $4 to $9 paid event boosts are profit-pit abominations that need to go. I'm not paying a **** thing. The day this game stops trying to encourage me to buy things is the day I'll start again.

The payouts are also so inconsistent (which not a good thing) that I cannot gauge what the stamina-to-corn rate is. But I can tell you that unless you buy something (the frightmare boost, stamina, corn), you will not be able to reach the 150k threshold. The reason I can tell you this is because of the 10 runs I did of the 20 stamina dungeon, my average payout was 250. To reach even 100k corn, I would need 10,000 stamina and 500 manual runs. Sod that.

The skin boosts are only useful if you already have them. They're too expensive to buy and you need corn to buy them to begin with.

Don't let the 'improvements' on this event cause you to become complacent with the current system. And don't forget how DB used to be. I only see product management that is increasingly warped and disgusting. If they really wanted to listen to feedback, they'd revert all the changes since the management shift like loot passes, event boosts, PvP boosts, trophy boosts, skins that buff, reduced event payouts, and loot keys being removed from shops.
  • @Yykkil Ok, “gold standard” may have been a tad effusive, but you can grind this one out as a free-to-play.

I would advise against playing the 20 stam event dungeon. You are better off playing a 5 stam crypt dungeon.
  • This event is far better then the original Halloween event this year. Top rewards are grindable without spending money, and the boost is good value if you choose to spend.
    I would have like some elite runes for tickets, but overall this looks like the best event in quite some time..
    Make Reptiles Great Again!
  • Everyone agrees this even is better then the last few (payouts wise) events, I am. Gonna buy the ultra candy bundle with 90,000 corn, which leaves 60, doing all the quests gives about 15, for 45 left.
    This skin will be mine. This is MY skin! The Common Cold needs skins like these! It's like an Undead person was risen by the Common Cold and he is a Common Cold soldier!
    Join The Common Cold! With Disease and Chill on our side, we shall spread The Common Cold! become a Common Cold Member today!
  • Everyone agrees this even is better then the last few (payouts wise) events, I am. Gonna buy the ultra candy bundle with 90,000 corn, which leaves 60, doing all the quests gives about 15, for 45 left.
    This skin will be mine. This is MY skin! The Common Cold needs skins like these! It's like an Undead person was risen by the Common Cold and he is a Common Cold soldier!

Don’t do that. $100 is a total ripoff. Just buy the $8 event boost and you can get the skin using less than 1,000 stamina.
  • Bottom line, anyone posting above that getting top rewards as free to play is reasonable isn’t attempting to do so for themselves. Do you know what 22.5 hours of running the same dungeon manually feels like? Especially when it gives nothing else of value doing so? And loot keys can’t be used to speed it up? It feels like the exact opposite of reasonable.

Not only do I want to agree enthusiastically with your all that you said, but I want to add the feeling of insult that not purchasing the frightmare boost brings. When I quickloot Zomm's Graveyard without the frightmare boost, I get 13 corn each time. When my guildmate with the boost quickloots Zomm's Graveyard, he gets between 333-337 corn each time. This is a SERIOUS discrepancy. And I know this is what the boost does, I just don't agree with it...

Don’t do that. $100 is a total ripoff. Just buy the $8 event boost and you can get the skin using less than 1,000 stamina.

Not exacly, getting 90,000 at first is great, using the boost well..its a good 200 eveyr dungeon but your forgetting, its not gomma be less then 1000 stamina. I did the math, 90,000 at first, 60000 left. 60,000 divided by 200 = 300 dungeon runs, 300 times 5 equals to 15,000 stamina needed
  • Except that the boost description is misleading. It isn’t 200 extra per dungeon. It’s waaaaaay more than that.
  • @Warlord_Yorick it's at least 200 a run. Then you multiply it that by 170%. That's 540 minimum not counting pumpkins and end of dungeon chests. Min for me seems to be around 800, but I am regularly getting over 1,000 and pretty often 2500.

Please do not spend $100 on this game I worry for you
  • Pay to play.
    Serve and be happy, citizen. The Computer is your friend!

Not exacly, getting 90,000 at first is great, using the boost well..its a good 200 eveyr dungeon but your forgetting, its not gomma be less then 1000 stamina. I did the math, 90,000 at first, 60000 left. 60,000 divided by 200 = 300 dungeon runs, 300 times 5 equals to 15,000 stamina needed

LOL 300x5 = 15,000? Nice math there :D
  • edited December 7
    shiggity80 wrote: »
    Everyone agrees this even is better then the last few (payouts wise) events, I am. Gonna buy the ultra candy bundle with 90,000 corn, which leaves 60, doing all the quests gives about 15, for 45 left.

Not exacly, getting 90,000 at first is great, using the boost well. Its a good 200 every dungeon but your forgetting, its not gonna be less then 1000 stamina. I did the math, 90,000 at first, 60000 left. 60,000 divided by 200 = 300 dungeon runs, 300 times 5 equals to 15,000 stamina needed

LOL 300x5 = 15,000? Nice math there :D
    Actually, I just did a typo. accidently adding one more 0, why don't ya try and point out the typo instead of soundin like a blind person.
    Post edited by Warlord_Yorick on