Tired of all of those Underworld recruitment messages?

Comments

• There are those who believe "if the game allows it, it is acceptable and ethical". There are those who disagree. You all know where you stand. What price victory? Be careful when fighting monsters, you do not yourself become a monster. When you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you.

Whew, I need a shower after that.

We have been totally open about what we're doing. I will poke the abyss in it's holier-than-thou eye!
    RigorMortis -> khensú although apparently it is physically impossible to change a forum user's name.
  • I am not going to discuss it beyond my previous statements. See BF TOS and the flag on my profile for my reasons.
    Serve and be happy, citizen. The Computer is your friend!

• edited December 2018
    Correction. Flags. 7 total from this discussion. Easier to censor than discuss. Enjoy, much success wished. You win.

• I am not going to discuss it beyond my previous statements. See BF TOS and the flag on my profile for my reasons.

I read all your posts. You typed out a whole bunch of vague, meaningless lines about the importance of ethics and standards and loyalty. Stuff that no one has or would disagree with you about. You then made repeated insinuations that this (or maybe all) top guild doesn’t live up to those ideals, though you never gave a single concrete example of how it doesn’t.

I attempted to show that my experiences with a couple different top guilds don’t jive with the assumptions about them that you were making and hijacking the thread over. I also don’t see anything in the TOS being violated. Now you don’t actually seem interested in honestly discussing it. I dunno...starting to think you don’t really have much of a position...

I read all your posts. You typed out a whole bunch of vague, meaningless lines about the importance of ethics and standards and loyalty. Stuff that no one has or would disagree with you about. You then made repeated insinuations that this (or maybe all) top guild doesn’t live up to those ideals, though you never gave a single concrete example of how it doesn’t.

I attempted to show that my experiences with a couple different top guilds don’t jive with the assumptions about them that you were making and hijacking the thread over. I also don’t see anything in the TOS being violated. Now you don’t actually seem interested in honestly discussing it. I dunno...starting to think you don’t really have much of a position...

BUT HE QUOTED NIETZSCHE!
  • Monkeynuts wrote: »
    I am not going to discuss it beyond my previous statements. See BF TOS and the flag on my profile for my reasons.

BUT HE QUOTED NIETZSCHE!

vqbamkqc6tyx.gif
  • Skip_HolmesSkip_Holmes Member
    edited December 2018
    @sirtainly appreciate you stating that you’d need more information to really judge.

To clarify, at base level all it really does is take information that everyone in the game can see and make it easier to look at. Who hasn’t posted screenshots of their hero stats and runes? Who hasn’t used some sort of spreadsheet or even hand notes to try to track what runes they have or how many tokens they need? All the tool does is automate those steps a bit. You can have it sort your runes for you, or you can have it stitch together hero builds to show off, or you can look back at what place you finished in previous events. It’s like your picstitch app plus phone screenshot album plus excel spreadsheet just rolled up into a single place. There’s nothing nefarious or secretive about it.

As far why it isn’t available to everyone...UW offered to make it available to the devs so that they could adapt if for use for the game as a whole, but the devs decided they didn’t want to encourage/endorse use of outside programs. To be very clear, the devs know exactly what the tool does and have reviewed its use to make sure it is all kosher.
  • I really may regret asking this, but:

Does it show other players' information or just yours (whoever is using it?)

Why not make it downloadable for everyone or give public access to the website (whichever applies?)
  • It will only show me other users who have a login and have imported their rune data...i.e. given consent.
  • As for your second question, it’s running on a member’s personal machine from his home. Anubis offered to share it with BF as adding the entire player base would be a burden on said guildmate (bigger machine, bandwidth, admin, etc) but they were not interested.
    It will only show me other users who have a login and have imported their rune data...i.e. given consent.

Ah - so users personally import their information. Is this rune data read from central DB game servers or files local on the device the user logs in with, or do they enter the data manually?
    As for your second question, it’s running on a member’s personal machine from his home. Anubis offered to share it with BF as adding the entire player base would be a burden on said guildmate (bigger machine, bandwidth, admin, etc) but they were not interested.

Understood - hope he has a good backup power supply ;) And I assume putting it on a virtual host in the cloud would also be way too expensive bandwidth-wise if a large group would be accessing it.

Since this is a tool that allows a group of people to share information among themselves, has any thought been given to making it available to anyone who wants to host it on their own machine or in the cloud for their own group of people? Think of the promotional value: "This fantastic whizz-bang tool is brought to you by The Underworld, Gods of Dungeon Boss. For more information about our guild contact <etc..etc.>."

(Who knows, maybe someone somewhere has a lot of bandwidth or even works for a hosting company.)
  • @sirtainly, I would like to politely suggest your comments on this thread be restricted to the topic of recruitment for underworld as any other statements, up to and including a statement of unwillingness to be recruited may be flagged as spam or abuse.

That being said, good luck with the recruitment drive, folks.👍👍👍

• @sirtainly, I would like to politely suggest your comments on this thread be restricted to the topic of recruitment for underworld as any other statements, up to and including a statement of unwillingness to be recruited may be flagged as spam or abuse.

That being said, good luck with the recruitment drive, folks.👍👍👍

I'm not sure I understand. I'm not in their guild, and I certainly don't want to get in a discussion about their guild. I only offered the recruitment related statements as one possible rationale the author might use to disseminate that tool to others, an incentive, if you will. Maybe including that was unnecessary to the discussion.

I am in a different guild. My intention was only to have a technical discussion so that I can ascertain what the exact nature of this tool is and how it is being used and by whom, so I can understand if there is an opportunity here, and so at a later date should I decide to form an opinion, it will be based on hard factual information and thereby defensible.

To my knowledge, to date, none of my posts have been flagged as spam or abuse. If/when that happens, I hope someone will inform me so that I can either apologize, or provide details why I feel it was wrongly flagged. I'll live.

And I appreciate your feedback, I am far from perfect. Please feel more than free to share advice about posting in this forum with me either here or in a PM.

I'm finding this thread interesting...and sorry for the long posts. I'm thinking of writing short stories ;)

• I’m free to play, have no trouble (from either a time or resource standpoint) hitting the guild targets that are set for competitive events, and have not seen anything even the slightest bit ethically dubious going on.

that's just because you haven't seen what bvs does in the back room with those beakers.
  • danac wrote: »
    sirtainly wrote: »
    I will stick my neck out and say this much:

This whole thread seems to be "come join our guild, and a major reason is we have this software tool."

why can't software be civil and decent like everyone else?

• This thread has been the most entertaining DB thing in weeks. I think all UW players should be awarded a special elite rune.
  • I think Momdukz needs to lay off the flag button, and let people with different viewpoints talk/hash it out. But that's just me...
  • sirolk99 wrote: »
    I think Momdukz needs to lay off the flag button, and let people with different viewpoints talk/hash it out. But that's just me...

Start a discussion thread of your own. Brilliant right?
    I will yeah...Momdukz ™️
  • Merry Christmas to most of you from Dungeon Boss’s top guild, The Underworld!
  • Nollaig Shona do gach duine ó na daoine is fearr sa chluiche!
    I will yeah...Momdukz ™️
    most of you

Hmm...

Merry Christmas!
  • It kinda feels like the old Pacific Hallows setup... I kinda miss Pacific Hallows in some ways... Sadly, I don't think Endless plays anymore.

The UW version is very nicely done. It would appear to have a PvP focus instead of a crowns focus, but probably works along the same lines.

Pacific Hallows was not considered a rule breaker either. The dev's even stated it on the old post. Its just an easier/more user friendly way to access public information. Very impressive work...
    Just another nerd in the herd!
  • I like stuff like this actually... It's very creative. Kind of curious as to what the top level looks like for the player tbh.

If you had a top level, what would it look like? This would give the player cards project i did a few months back some meaning. The player cards were meant to give a personality to the account. Not to demean or poke fun at anyone.

wpz62rj431oe.jpg

I did have some UW concepts btw, but the project kind of lost steam as players left the game, or as people deleted LINE accounts, or because people just weren't interested. I like chatting with UW. Its a very good family.
    Just another nerd in the herd!
  • @SinfulSaint those cards are awesome! Thank you for the laugh.
    Gmun
  • You know you love me monkey. That’s why you have me in your profile picture.
  • The UW has god (Pupuer), a devil (Anubis), a muppet, a monkey devil minion, and the best guild mom (Momdukz) in the game.
  • bvs72 wrote: »
    The UW has god (Pupuer), a devil (Anubis), a muppet, a monkey devil minion, and the best guild mom (Momdukz) in the game.

Some other guild: We have a Hulk.
    Don’t you wish it was easier, wish you were better.
  • BasherblastBasherblast Member
    edited January 1
    Monkeynuts wrote: »
    Here’s a peek at one of the many things possible from our website...

hxpvr5tjtrqt.jpeg

Some of us just design heroes 24/7 and can use our brains ya know. (Didn’t mean to offend here, didn’t read all the comments at the time of the post)

But in all seriousness, how many people do ya expect to lose to the Winterfest flop?
  • So when someone asks you to share that hero you designed, you use your brain and share it telepathically? Cool! We’re not that evolved yet.

Not sure how many this will be the last straw for, but I’m sure most are done spending.