Patch Notes: January 31st, 2019

JoelJoel Member, Administrator, Moderator, Boss Fight
  • Fixed an issue with Dagrund 'resisting' Zulkodd's banishment because he was counting his free cleanse from what would be his upcoming turn. If a hero is banished, they are removed from the battle entirely and should not be able to be cleansed by themselves or other heroes.

In addition, we are currently holding a player survey, which can be accessed from the game. If you complete the survey and include your DBID, you will get 300 gems! Please note: These gems are not paid out instantly, but will be sent within a few days.
Joel | Community Manager | Boss Fight Entertainment
www.bossfightentertainment.com
Tagged:

Comments

• The survey is a great idea !
    Level - 80
    Guild- VIP LIFE
    Favorite Hero - Astrid
  • When the game was new, we used to get surveys in game as well. 300 gems is very generous... Everyone should complete it.
    Just another nerd in the herd!
  • Love the idea, although PLEASE do NOT vote for pets. Pets is a VERY easy way for the devs to make us pay even MORE.
  • Holy crap. All I saw was the words "Pets for battles" and "Heros that take up 2 slots" I WANT BOTH
    Join The Common Cold! With Disease and Chill on our side, we shall spread The Common Cold! become a Common Cold Member today!
  • Fuggit wrote: »
    Love the idea, although PLEASE do NOT vote for pets. Pets is a VERY easy way for the devs to make us pay even MORE.

I can see where you are headed with that but in alll honesty, there isnt an option they couldn't monetize. They were the ones who came up with the list, remember? Why wouldnt they already have a plan in place, or give us a list in which only some options could make them money?

Pick what you genuinely want. If they charge for it and you dont want to pay them then dont. Worst case it will eventually be free vs. them never doing it at all.

• I think this survey is a great gesture. Genuinely think some good feedback can come out of it.
  • JonahDennisJonahDennis Member
    edited February 1
    @Joel In my opinion runes ruin PvP. Shield hero like Barbs or Reptiles have there shields pointless due to shield piercing runes. Hero’s should not have to be a certain star level to ascend. Event payouts should be reasonable to the event shop costs. Hero’s should be balanced and not just 1 dominate team. Honor portal should have a 10x summon button. Daily rewards should be better than they are especially when you have logged on for more than a year. Aether shop should have a random featured hero that could be anyone. That’s just a start of what could be done.
  • Fuggit wrote: »
    Love the idea, although PLEASE do NOT vote for pets. Pets is a VERY easy way for the devs to make us pay even MORE.

I can see where you are headed with that but in alll honesty, there isnt an option they couldn't monetize. They were the ones who came up with the list, remember? Why wouldnt they already have a plan in place, or give us a list in which only some options could make them money?

Pick what you genuinely want. If they charge for it and you dont want to pay them then dont. Worst case it will eventually be free vs. them never doing it at all.

Mhm! Or another scenario they will probably have to make us farm for pet tokens? As if the pets were 'mini heros'
    Join The Common Cold! With Disease and Chill on our side, we shall spread The Common Cold! become a Common Cold Member today!
  • A lot of people I know are not against paying a few dollars for some entertainment. It's the price of the entertainment and type of entertainment that is often in question. This should be the feedback. 1). it needs to be affordable. 2). it needs to be fun.

Paying $2.99 for something like a pet is something I could see myself doing. It's like paying for a rental on netflix or youtube. Its fun, inexpensive, and provides for a little enjoyment on a Sunday afternoon. Its simple.

Paying $100.00 for a pre-release pet is not my idea of fun. If I buy it, I miss my rent payment. Then the community moans and groans and lashes out and attacks those who support the game. A small handful show others how things work and are demonized. New items are often rushed and full of bugs. Then we are all disappointed and have nothing to look forward to and have to wait months for the official release.

A survey is a step in the right direction. You should communicate your thoughts openly and honestly. Because the summit process does not work, or is lacking. This is why you have a survey.
  • Hahahahaahahahahahaah. you guys.....
  • SinfulSaintSinfulSaint Member
    edited February 1
    What's truly amusing is the F2P mentality. Nothing in this world is free.

Before you complain about the cash grabby nature of Dungeon Boss, or any other game, consider this:

Tell me what is different between DB and Chuck E. Cheeses?

mdr3vwgpqjsh.jpg

*Both places have a colorful list of cute characters for you to play with. They do stuff that amuse you. They sing, dance, smack each other, etc.

*If you go to a brick and mortar arcade, what do you need to play a game? A few rolls of quarters right? Maybe a few dollars to buy tokens? You don't get to play those games for free... Why should you play this one for free?

*As you stumble around the arcade you earn tickets so you can buy shop junk.... Sometimes you get 5 tickets, sometimes you get 10 tickets... How do you know what's fair? How do you know which machine pays the most? You don't... Chances are, you don't really care because its fun to play the game and the ticket is a bi-product.

*If you lose your tickets, what do you do? You yell at the manager to try to get those tickets back. The manager tells you sorry but i cant help you. You go and play some more to earn those tickets back.

*How do you know when its a good time to go to a brick and mortar arcade? You get a email... Maybe even an ad in a newspaper. Chuck E. Cheese got something to sell you. Maybe you want to try the new buffalo wings? Better go soon because it is a limited time offer.

At the end of the day:

Spend if its fun. Spend if it's enjoyable. Play if its fun. Play if its enjoyable. Spend if its affordable. Do not play/spend to win. Do not spend or play to be superior to all others. Simple...

Burnt out? Tired of playing? Then go away. Find yourself a new game... And when that new game fizzles in three months, or becomes cash grabby, I'll see you back here on forums... You can join my guild if you'd like...

If you are an enthusiast like me, you contribute by way of the survey.
  • What's truly amusing is the F2P mentality. Nothing in this world is free.

Before you complain about the cash grabby nature of Dungeon Boss, or any other game, consider this:

Tell me what is different between DB and Chuck E. Cheeses?

mdr3vwgpqjsh.jpg

*Both places have a colorful list of cute characters for you to play with. They do stuff that amuse you. They sing, dance, smack each other, etc.

*If you go to a brick and mortar arcade, what do you need to play a game? A few rolls of quarters right? Maybe a few dollars to buy tokens? You don't get to play those games for free... Why should you play this one for free?

*As you stumble around the arcade you earn tickets so you can buy shop junk.... Sometimes you get 5 tickets, sometimes you get 10 tickets... How do you know what's fair? How do you know which machine pays the most? You don't... Chances are, you don't really care because its fun to play the game and the ticket is a bi-product.

*If you lose your tickets, what do you do? You yell at the manager to try to get those tickets back. The manager tells you sorry but i cant help you. You go and play some more to earn those tickets back.

*How do you know when its a good time to go to a brick and mortar arcade? You get a email... Maybe even an ad in a newspaper. Chuck E. Cheese got something to sell you. Maybe you want to try the new buffalo wings? Better go soon because it is a limited time offer.

At the end of the day:

Spend if its fun. Spend if it's enjoyable. Play if its fun. Play if its enjoyable. Spend if its affordable. Do not play/spend to win. Do not spend or play to be superior to all others. Simple...

Burnt out? Tired of playing? Then go away. Find yourself a new game... And when that new game fizzles in three months, or becomes cash grabby, I'll see you back here on forums... You can join my guild if you'd like...

If you are an enthusiast like me, you contribute by way of the survey.

I don't think its an apt comparison. A restaurant/arcade comes with different expectations, visitation traditions, and a different impact on a different subset of the community. I think the offering, model and audience for electronic based entertainment is much broader and should be measured differently.

I firmly believe in fair and honest advertising, in sustainable profit, and in win-win models, and I want the online games I support (and other online offerings) to embody that. Of course, I expect many will disagree and that's fine...there's plenty of room for everyone and a spectrum of offerings for everyone.

Your response seems to me to be saying "There's nothing free in life, so if you don't like this game, go somewhere else until it becomes just like this game."

Not all games become extra cash-grabby and those that do does not excuse the behavior, in my view.

Different people have wide and varied levels of disposable income, and wide and varied life experiences. In my view, nothing is free, but there are times when moral justice mandates that the burden be shared at levels appropriate to each individual. I'd love, for instance, to see in-app purchases for major games on a sliding scale based on income, or at least a discount for those for whom its more of a hardship. If done right, the game can make even more money through volume sales. I also believe games and businesses should have a social responsibility as part of their structure. Unbridled, open ended profit no matter the cost is, in the end, even more costly to everyone in ways that aren't always obvious or tangible.

Yeah, its just a game, but how we do our entertaining is as important as how we do all of our other business.

No matter what, there is never an excuse for substantial negligence and I do not believe it is moral to devote substantial resources designed to manipulate psychology of players for the sole reason of profit...in my view profit and responsibility to community need to be balanced in all things.

Feel free to disagree, but please realize there are alternative points of view.

tldr; we're all different, some of us don't have much money and those people deserve entertainment just as much as those who do. Money is a tool, not a measure of a person. Values matter, even in gaming. Values matter at least as much as profit. Without values, its not honest profit, just quick bucks at someone else's expense. I'm glad a lot of games are not cash-grabby.
  • SinfulSaintSinfulSaint Member
    edited February 1
    @sirtainly I feel you have missed the general message of my post.

if you pay $40.00 at a Chuck E. Cheese, you pay for the fun of it... This is why you should go to a Chuck E. Cheese. For the fun of it.

If you pay $40.00 in game, you pay for the fun of it... This is why you should play Dungeon Boss... For the fun of it.

There is no difference. You can muddy the water with arguments concerning "Player Psychology" and "Buisiness Ethics" and "Income levels" and "Fairness" all you want... It feels like you are reaching... I care not for these things. I just want to have some fun.

If you've ever been to a Chuck E. Cheeses you've seen the spoiled children. There is always at least one child at a Chuck E. Cheese with mega rich parents who will drop $1,000.00 USD for the tickets on a stuffed rat. Just like DB, everyone says they are stupid... Everyone complains about how much the stuffed rat costs outside the prize counter. Everybody at a Chuck E. Cheeses does the math in their head on the stuffed rat also. They do an equally impressive analysis of it: where it was made, where they can find a comparable, how long it will last, etc.

Is this any different than what we do with new heros or family specific runes? Nope... it is the same.

At a Chuck E. Cheeses you spend for tickets... You grind for them. You run machine to machine and you get a satisfaction in their accumulation... Then you go over to the prize counter and you buy your stuffed animals or plastic toys for what you earned. Those junk toys at a Chuck E. Cheese equate to the runes and titles and the materials in the event shop. There is no difference here. You want a better prize at a Chuck E. Cheeses, you have to spend more. Sound familiar?

If you were an American, this analogy would make more sense to you. For me personally, just like I will not buy a Pizza for $100.00, I will not buy an epic for $100.00. Being called stupid for buying a $100.00 Pizza would not be fun. Neither would it be fun to be called stupid for buying a $100.00 epic.

Chuck E. Cheese don't worry about the price points. They set them to what they think the market can withstand. Same with DB. They don't do the analysis and debate you suggest. There is no conspiracy. They are not psychologists. You cannot reason with them. You speak to them with your wallet. Summits filled with mega nerd elite players are useless.

If they want us to spend, it has to be fun. You want to have satisfaction from your personal purchase, it has to be fun. No fun, no money. If you are F2P, that's fine. But don't complain about not having any fun if you did not put any money in. Not sure how else I can explain it.
  • sirtainlysirtainly Member
    edited February 1
    @SinfulSaint

- I completely agree with:

"If they want us to spend, it has to be fun. You want to have satisfaction from your personal purchase, it has to be fun. No fun, no money."

I do not agree that " If you are F2P, that's fine. But don't complain about not having any fun if you did not put any money in."

I do not think it is in the best interest of both DB and the player to participate in an activity where money is required to have fun, it will discourage potential purchasers and limit the quality and diversity of the community, which goes to both increased short and long term profit, and all that other stuff I said that was overlooked. I stand by my remarks about all that other stuff cuz in my view it increases profit and without all that other stuff, profit alone is actually bad for everyone (including DB) and not good for everyone (including DB)

I'm still not convinced its the same as Chuck but I'll think about it. And I don't think public shaming is the only way to enforce values or even always a successful way.

I appreciate your sharing your thoughts, they are definitely as important (if not more) than mine and I hope you consider my thoughts as trying to help, not diminish what you're trying to say.

We both agree that DB needs to pay some real close attention to how they do things if they want to make money and not just die off. We're both trying to help then and help players deal with online gaming. Its hard to say a lot of this stuff in a forum and read it right.

We're probably both right.