Boycott PVP

I want to reach out to the Dungeon Boss players that, like me, hate the PVP system. I am not a fan of PVP and I think it is one of the worst features of this game that the developers have been unable to get right. The developers know this and the only way they can get people to do PVP battles is by forcing players by setting daily PVP missions (2 every day that count towards guild tournaments) and PVP missions during events that are sometimes impossible to achieve or require the expense of too many resources.

Well, I say we should, as players and as a community, do something about it. I suggest we all set just one defense hero and allow every player to easily achieve PVP mission. We can show the developers that we are tired of the crappy PVP system and the boring Tower of Pwnage, where all you do is go through several levels of always fighting the same defense heroes, because lets face it, all we see going up that tower are the same heroes over and over.

The rewards for PVP are not even that good and the people that are always in the top places probably don't even need the extra tokens anymore. So instead of making life miserable for ourselves every time we have to do a forced PVP battle, lets instead have a single defense hero that will allow every player to easily complete the developer imposed quests.

I think that we, as players, should do something about it and we should take a stand to show the developers how we feel about the game. Let me hear your thoughts.

Comments

• I really enjoy PvP.

I like to test myself against more difficult teams, which can often be beaten if I take in the right team. Not only is it an intriguing challenge, I get gold and scrolls for my entertainment and at the end of each two days, more scrolls and some tokens.

I don't spend any gems on additional raids and always end in the 11-20 range.

Yes, the way the game determines power and assigns trophies makes little sense. I ignore it and have fun anyway.
  • Esmenoth, what level are you?
    I used to rank in the top 20 when I was at lower levels, now I'm usually in top 100 and in some occasions I can make it to top 50. And I can deal with PVP well enough when I do it for fun and I can select my own team but I'm not fond of the one color teams or casters or healers only. But I still find it a drag to have to have to go through it and I find myself resetting opponents often just to avoid having to battle against the same heroes all the time (and yes, I am sick of Kai Makani and Yokozuna in PVP even though I've found way to beat them when I get the chance to select my own multicolored team)
    The game developers know that PVP is something a lot of players don't like and it's not even the main mechanic of the game but it is somehow forced upon players by assigning daily missions. And if you want to be part of a decent guild you have to complete those daily missions. Now they are also making it part of every single event and is not just do a couple of battles with a certain character but they go to high numbers like 10-20 battles or even more sometimes.
    There is also something wrong with the PVP system when you only face the same heroes in almost every defense team or when heroes that have less stars, lower level and no blessings on them than the attacking team can win without even giving you a turn to act.
  • I really like the PvP system. It nearly always gives me a good challenge, and I often attack a wide range of defenses, causing me to adjust my strategy accordingly. I'm level 62, and I can usually finish in the top 20 on <8 raids a day.

That being said, I'd like to hear any new ideas you have as to how to improve the system, as you don't really mention any. I'm always open to new ideas.
  • I am level 52. I started slow levelling at 49. I have no 6* heroes and only five 5* heroes. Most of my heroes are still 3* and some are still 2*, including Bovus, who I use about 30% of the time (used to be 90%).

I understand your frustrations. If you don't enjoy something but feel pressured to do it then it isn't fun, and this game is only entertainment.

I do see a lot of the same heroes being used. This is largely because some heroes offer poorer defence options. Just as others are better in attack. I never use Yoko I attack, as only as a patsy in the Tower, but he's in my defence. So it goes.

Kai teams I avoid because I don't have him. If I did I would happily take him on as the Kai defences are almost always AoE, and attacking with Kai and single target heroes means Advantage Esmenoth.

If the options for me are not great, reroll. I make more gold from most runs than the reroll costs.
  • MattCauthronMattCauthron Member
    edited August 2016
    Ashantyr wrote: »
    I want to reach out to the Dungeon Boss players that, like me, hate the PVP system. I am not a fan of PVP and I think it is one of the worst features of this game that the developers have been unable to get right. The developers know this and the only way they can get people to do PVP battles is by forcing players by setting daily PVP missions (2 every day that count towards guild tournaments) and PVP missions during events that are sometimes impossible to achieve or require the expense of too many resources.

Well, I say we should, as players and as a community, do something about it. I suggest we all set just one defense hero and allow every player to easily achieve PVP mission. We can show the developers that we are tired of the crappy PVP system and the boring Tower of Pwnage, where all you do is go through several levels of always fighting the same defense heroes, because lets face it, all we see going up that tower are the same heroes over and over.

The rewards for PVP are not even that good and the people that are always in the top places probably don't even need the extra tokens anymore. So instead of making life miserable for ourselves every time we have to do a forced PVP battle, lets instead have a single defense hero that will allow every player to easily complete the developer imposed quests.

I think that we, as players, should do something about it and we should take a stand to show the developers how we feel about the game. Let me hear your thoughts.

PvP is literally the ONLY reason I play this game. I love PvP... so no I will certainly not be boycotting it. Also your idea of a single defense hero is terrible 0.o I'm honestly not even sure if this is just an elaborate troll. You say that we face the same teams over and over and yet literally every day I see team defenses that I've never seen before.

For the record level 65. I've been ranking first in my bracket every tournament since level 25. Maybe gotten second in 3 tournaments the past 4 to 5 months.
  • edited August 2016
    Yea sorry @Ashantyr but I do not agree. I don't think PVP is the only thing I find fun about this game but I do find it fun. I am level 70 and get matched up against the hardest teams in the game. Figuring out how to raid right anyway is one of the highlights of the game. Cracking the code on fully stacked squads and beating them is just a blast. I don't really invest gems so I don't usually place particularly high but just by maximizing trophy value on all of my raid tickets I do well enough. And its really just for fun, I rarely get any value out of the rewards at this point.

I absolutely do not want all 1 hero defenses. That sounds horrible. In fact my biggest gripe with PVP is that I wish the developers would figure out a way to de-incentivize bait teams. Bait teams suck but the way PVP works it is actively pushing players towards that strategy. They need to reverse that so there's less of them not more. Also I wish the rewards mattered to me. Aether and some scrolls (which are really just a smaller amount of aether hiding in some rolled up paper) doesn't exactly get me going. Literally the only reason I do PVP is because its strategic and fun.

Also, @MattCauthron seriously? Wow man, that is some impressive PVP work. Many props.
    centralcommand
  • To the OP, I think you are way off the mark. I too love the PvP system and like the fact the designers change up the meta game every so often so that teams compositions need to be re-thought.

In fact runes are another change to PvP that has made it interesting. It will be more interesting when they get runes in defences working as my runed attackers are make short work of many defences at the moment.

• Yea sorry @Ashantyr but I do not agree. I don't think PVP is the only thing I find fun about this game but I do find it fun. I am level 70 and get matched up against the hardest teams in the game. Figuring out how to raid right anyway is one of the highlights of the game. Cracking the code on fully stacked squads and beating them is just a blast. I don't really invest gems so I don't usually place particularly high but just by maximizing trophy value on all of my raid tickets I do well enough. And its really just for fun, I rarely get any value out of the rewards at this point.

I absolutely do not want all 1 hero defenses. That sounds horrible. In fact my biggest gripe with PVP is that I wish the developers would figure out a way to de-incentivize bait teams. Bait teams suck but the way PVP works it is actively pushing players towards that strategy. They need to reverse that so there's less of them not more. Also I wish the rewards mattered to me. Aether and some scrolls (which are really just a smaller amount of aether hiding in some rolled up paper) doesn't exactly get me going. Literally the only reason I do PVP is because its strategic and fun.

Also, @MattCauthron seriously? Wow man, that is some impressive PVP work. Many props.

I'm sure it'll change once I get to the big boys at 70 and have to really compete! I had a max roster in my 40s which gave me a pretty unfair advantage for a majority of the time. I'm also CST time, so the end of the raid is superrr convenient for me to stay up and push at the last moment if necessary. I honestly think that gives me a huge advantage against other time zones.
  • Same as the others here, I like PvP in most parts, the only thing that isn't so nice imo is that players who spent lots of money can just easily win every time, I was first with +200 trophies once one hour before the tournament ended and when I looked afterwards I finished second... But apart from that, I manage to get to top 5 - 20 nearly every time without spending gems at all.
    I'm also using a pool of ~12 heroes to adapt to the enemies defendors. Also the rewards aren't useless for me, most of the times it's Pontifex which I have on 5 stars and often there are other tokens too.
  • PvP is the most fun part of the game, because here strategy shines: even if your heroes are weaker than defenses', you can still win with the right tactic. So, it's a cool feature. My last challenge was to build a defense against torchy+bovus. I haven't been attacked by torchy+bovus lately, but I placed a 600+ ATK runed Shadow Blade 2 stars 0 ascension. He has roughly 1250 ATK, and his first skill ever crits, so it's a deadly combo :smiley:
  • I love PvP :)
  • Pvp is one of my favorite aspects of the game. It does however, rely to heavily on certain heroes in my opinion.. Sure you could use other heroes but why turn away from teams that guarantee you victories? I beat around 90% of pvp teams with zen freeze.. Only a few teams require me to actually use strategy.
  • Frogatism wrote: »
    Pvp is one of my favorite aspects of the game. It does however, rely to heavily on certain heroes in my opinion.. Sure you could use other heroes but why turn away from teams that guarantee you victories? I beat around 90% of pvp teams with zen freeze.. Only a few teams require me to actually use strategy.

Ahh the joys of level 70. Everytime I think "Can I use Icebloom... No they are 4 levels higher and will probably destroy me with resists", I strive a little harder to hit max level. I could definitely see how that would beat a lot of defenses.
  • I agree with everyone. PvP is one of the greatest parts of the game. However, I do think the tower could be better. However, you so get awesome rewards!
    Awesome Farfella guy up there was created by jackhallow666^!!!
    Also, go gorgons!
  • lol no I'm not removing my bait team because you can't do pvp
    FINAL BOSS OFFICER
    9gJSaHl.gif
  • the pvp in this game is the only reason I play it.

they should make some changes though to a few things pvp related, such as tournament winnings, amount of raids you can do.. but overall i really enjoy the pvp
  • AceyNB wrote: »
    lol no I'm not removing my bait team because you can't do pvp

What if I said pretty pretty please?
  • I thought pvp was pretty great until a few months ago. The power creep started getting real bad. Runes has pretty much made PVP unbearable for me. PVP in this game was special because it was about planning and execution. IEarly legendary heroes were powerful, but had very accessible counters. Now every fight is a crap shoot. RNG is not fun. Will never be fun. i'll go play **** dice if I want to win and lose based on factors beyond my control.
  • I maxed out Ponti months ago but PVP is the main reason I still play DB. I'm no longer in it for the tokens. PVP matches are like chess meets backgammon - strategy with luck of the dice tossed in. There's a of satisfaction in taking down high lvl bait teams or rosters that are four lvls higher. It would be cool to see a replay feature where you could retry a battle at a gem cost but with no loss or gains in leaderboard position.
  • jc1jc1 Member
    Pvp is tons of fun. No reason to change it.
  • I have a love and hate relationship with pvp in many games. I play the division and destiny so I have seen both sides.

So let's talk about the problems pvp has in this game. I have had the game 300 days and was playing it on a tablet that crashed when trying to run some of the more complex dungeons, but I have a new phone so now I have access to the game in a non-superficial way.

The biggest problem I see is level; I have 4 char at max level for me (55), I have to keep those 4 on defense and offense otherwise I will be more wrecked than usual. People who only have a few high level char don't have the flexibility go against standard higher level char, or to complete the guild daily "win 3 raids with heroes of one color." Not to mention the most current events quest, I have no chance at winning 2 raids with kobal because he's level 16, same for ignus, selwyn, nitpick, ect. Level seems like a huge limiter.

The best solution I can think of is that all heroes and their skills are set to level 1 in pvp. You still have your skill unlocks you still have your stars. It is just everybody is on the same playing field when it comes to level.

An other problem with pvp, there is no space between attacks, I was attacked 3 time within the space of an hour. (See above) I have to use my strongest (leveled) heroes as a defense not a coordinated thought out defense.

One last problem I see, off the top of my head, is the 2 and 3 person defender. They are brilliant, but it really skews the current power metric, when determining matches. When your trying to just get your quests done, and don't want to spend 20k gold because you refreshed a few times; to hit that is no fun.

• reznik2 wrote: »
    I have a love and hate relationship with pvp in many games. I play the division and destiny so I have seen both sides.

So let's talk about the problems pvp has in this game. I have had the game 300 days and was playing it on a tablet that crashed when trying to run some of the more complex dungeons, but I have a new phone so now I have access to the game in a non-superficial way.

The biggest problem I see is level; I have 4 char at max level for me (55), I have to keep those 4 on defense and offense otherwise I will be more wrecked than usual. People who only have a few high level char don't have the flexibility go against standard higher level char, or to complete the guild daily "win 3 raids with heroes of one color." Not to mention the most current events quest, I have no chance at winning 2 raids with kobal because he's level 16, same for ignus, selwyn, nitpick, ect. Level seems like a huge limiter.

The best solution I can think of is that all heroes and their skills are set to level 1 in pvp. You still have your skill unlocks you still have your stars. It is just everybody is on the same playing field when it comes to level.

An other problem with pvp, there is no space between attacks, I was attacked 3 time within the space of an hour. (See above) I have to use my strongest (leveled) heroes as a defense not a coordinated thought out defense.

One last problem I see, off the top of my head, is the 2 and 3 person defender. They are brilliant, but it really skews the current power metric, when determining matches. When your trying to just get your quests done, and don't want to spend 20k gold because you refreshed a few times; to hit that is no fun.

Agree on the bait teams, but sadly it's a necessary evil. 4 trophies gone per loss and 30ish gained per win is just too good to pass up when compared to the ton of trophies lost with a 4-man team. The mind boggles as to how it's still actually a thing though, surely it can't be that hard to fix?

Also, things tend to even out after level 60 when it comes to insufficient gold/xp pots, since the XP required per level starts to dramatically increase, allowing you to gain more resources. I feel for you before that though, many people seem to face the same problem.
  • I just went back to this post today and I find it funny that what I proposed doing so long ago, a lot of people (even entire guilds) are doing now voluntarily to help other players get pass some of the ridiculous quests the devs set up for us sometimes. For example, having a pvp quest in the current event in which you have to use heroes like Rogar, Yasmin, Willow and Stone Fist to go against teams with Shade, Kozar, Kai, and many other powerful heroes is just a pain in the neck. Perhaps there is something wrong with the pvp quests and the system after all...
  • The reason I and many others are doing what you suggested long ago is because the devs have totally screwed up PvP. I would have never done it back when you suggested it. PvP was good then.
  • I wonder if any of the people who were in the level 40 - 60 range back then have changed their mind.

At level 70, I'd say that 80% of my suggested opponents are led by shade, and the other 20% by MK. Whether it's a challenge or not is meaningless when it's just plain dull.

And I'm a solo Takumi defense. Go find me and kick my ****. ;o)
  • RexobRexob Member
    edited February 2017
    @Valadez - I'm Lv56 and overall am not entirely annoyed with the system. However, once I reach my plateau I'm stuck waiting to lose 20+ matches so I can raid 4 or 5 times which is really boring...I use a 5k Defense so I can keep playing against people of my own level; I know I don't belong in Warlords.
    IGN & Line: N00BST4R
    Mauling Ogres Lv70
  • @Rexob Unless they do something to fix some of these heroes, I expect you'll soon start running into Shade/MK/Kozar teams on the regular.

I don't mind not being in Legend 1 (although that's where I ended up last preseason) but it was a ridiculous grind and very frustrating.
  • So much for your boycott hoss