It has been a tumultuous few days this week resulting in a change in our forum policy around post content. Given that a Producer Letter was already due - I am taking the opportunity to further address this current controversy as well as update on the previous Producer Letter.
Let's start with what has gone on recently in regards to cheating accusations, potential exploit discussions, and our response in terms of policy.
A few weeks ago, we had our first recent public controversy about cheating, accusations, and similar. At the time, our response was to very openly discuss the issue and very clearly delineate that the negative aspects such as the accusations, posting of "evidence" publicly, and general toxic nature that the original thread took were not what would be the focus.
However, with the advent of the second controversy, which essentially repeated the same pattern - we determined that our first approach was not helpful and we weren't active enough in discouraging the negative aspects that these discussions inevitably have generated. As Joel's post indicates - we consider these topics inappropriate and we will actively manage them when they occur.
- As part of that, we realized that the original post that was stickied contained/allowed those negative aspects to persist - so we locked it and unstickied it as well.
- After this producer letter is posted - we will do an additional review of recent posts and remove any from the first controversy to be consistent.
The largest concern expressed since we made this policy change is how can we effectively demonstrate that we are actually pursuing concerns around hacks, exploits, and other harmful activities - without going into details. This is especially a priority regarding competitive gameplay - PvP and events that allow for such competition.
Simply put - expect to see consequences being applied for any harmful activity we are monitoring (recent past and present). We expect the results of this to be tangibly felt without need for detailed communication going forward.
- Fair warning: this includes posting publicly (in this forum or elsewhere) describing or demonstrating how to exploit or hack the game.
In addition, as new methods or issues are identified - we will act as quickly as possible depending on scope of effort ex. a LIVE release versus a new app download being required. In the interim of any resolution - we will monitor and take action as necessary.
To put this in context with recent controversies - if you're participating in such an activity, we are taking action.
Moving on to updates since the last Producer Letter.PvP Seasons
Combat / Hero / Meta Balance
- Progress is being made on the previously discussed PvP Seasons system changes:
- Reintroducing E/M/H choices in matches as well as removing the concept of "free for all" leagues (Warlord and beyond).
- Players of all levels will be able to progress to Legend 1 with fair E/M/H matches offered, e.g. the concept of "soft ceilings" is going away.
- Top 100 (now called Boss 100) will remain exclusive to players within the max level band of matchmaking. (~66-70)
- We'll post a more detailed breakdown of the changes as we prepare to release these changes (as early as late next week).
Events, Rewards, and Hero Progression
- We are working towards a SKL update as well as an update to Status Effects like Burn, Poison, and Shock to be released in the near term.
- The overall, larger Combat re-balance is underway - but significant balancing, testing, and tuning remain.
- As part of the most recent Summit - we are also going to be introducing a Hero/PvP Focus group.
- Members of the community will participate in giving feedback on upcoming new Heroes, revamp plans for existing Heroes, and other balance plans.
- Three of this group are being nominated at large by Summit participants and three will be Gurus selected by us.
- We do plan on rotating members periodically as necessary.
- We've been integrating further community feedback after the largely negative reception of the War of Legends event.
- Some of this is reflected in the current Fire and Ice events, but more sweeping and larger scale changes will be noticeable in upcoming events.
- More information in regards to hero progression availability outside of portals and events is coming soon.
- We also introduced a "buffer" in the Guild Crown Tournament allowing guild players to build up enough Crowns to make up for a day in a given weekly tournament.
- Net result is that a guild player can earn 35 Crowns a day, but only 210 count for a given week. Only 30 Crowns will carry over into the next week.