So...what *IS* a man?

From Daeris' perspective, I mean. Does she get angry at things that simply are 'not female', or does she understand the complicated nuances of things such as Furnace, while not female, is also a machine and thus lacks a gender? Does she understand the extreme sexual dimorphism of the angler fish that means Marrow is most likely female, despite being really angry/aggressive looking? Is she going to be checking pelvis bones of all the random unnamed skeletons? Does Phenol lack enough gender signifiers without the Royal Jelly skin, but have them with? The world needs to know!

Comments

• The world really does not need an in-depth analysis of our inanimate heroes sexual identification. If you feel the need to peek under the bonnet to inspect the goods, there is no help for you. Assume the heroes gender classification and go with it.
    I will yeah...Momdukz ™️
  • JackHallow666JackHallow666 Member, Dungeon Boss Guru, Volunteer Moderator
    I mean, it is a legitimate question, since it affects gameplay. Perhaps when Daeris is on your team, the enemies could have little gender symbols next to their health bars so you know which is which? Or just add then even if Daeris isn't there. Pokemon already does that, it doesn't really affect anything.
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    Don’t you know the crocodile Dundee test to verify gender?
  • bvs72 wrote: »

Apparently not. Google
    I will yeah...Momdukz ™️
    momdukz wrote: »
    bvs72 wrote: »

Apparently not. Google

Googling, 'How to tell the gender of a person from their skeleton' isn't really getting any results for me. Or at least, nothing I can apply to Dungeon Boss...
  • momdukz wrote: »

Apparently not. Google

Googling, 'How to tell the gender of a person from their skeleton' isn't really getting any results for me. Or at least, nothing I can apply to Dungeon Boss...

Wrong search string...
    I will yeah...Momdukz ™️

Apparently not. Google

Wrong search string...

Ah, darn, you're right. Lemme google how to tell what gender Dungeon Boss skeletons are. Hmm... Nope, still nothing useful. What should I search?

Apparently not. Google

Wrong search string...

Ah, darn, you're right. Lemme google how to tell what gender Dungeon Boss skeletons are. Hmm... Nope, still nothing useful. What should I search?

How to stop obsessing about a DB heroes sexual identity.
    I will yeah...Momdukz ™️
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    Google Crocodile Dundee gender check” and watch the video.

Apparently not. Google

Wrong search string...

I'm just curious. What is the right search string, then? Clearly you've found an answer.

Apparently not. Google

Wrong search string...

I'm just curious. What is the right search string, then? Clearly you've found an answer.

Yet you persist is asking the same question.... Cén teanga a labhraíonn tú?
    I will yeah...Momdukz ™️
  • I’ve always assumed bonus damage for Daeris is vs anything that is not female.
  • FatCat69 wrote: »
    I’ve always assumed bonus damage for Daeris is vs anything that is not female.

Exactly.
    I will yeah...Momdukz ™️
  • I mean, it is a legitimate question, since it affects gameplay. Perhaps when Daeris is on your team, the enemies could have little gender symbols next to their health bars so you know which is which? Or just add then even if Daeris isn't there. Pokemon already does that, it doesn't really affect anything.

Little gender symbols , we also need to include all 20+ known genders .

Imagine a new hero
    Genderless eater
    Non binary hunter
    I mean, it is a legitimate question, since it affects gameplay. Perhaps when Daeris is on your team, the enemies could have little gender symbols next to their health bars so you know which is which? Or just add then even if Daeris isn't there. Pokemon already does that, it doesn't really affect anything.

Imagine a new hero
    Genderless eater
    Non binary hunter

Ooookay and that’s where we stop this joke because I actually am for those people, since I have some very close non-binary friends. I don’t care if you don’t believe in it, but let’s not make fun of people whose issues we don’t understand, lol.
  • iphonesheepiphonesheep Member
    edited January 7

Imagine a new hero
    Genderless eater
    Non binary hunter

Ooookay and that’s where we stop this joke because I actually am for those people, since I have some very close non-binary friends. I don’t care if you don’t believe in it, but let’s not make fun of people whose issues we don’t understand, lol.

Hey , to each their own, wish your friends luck in figuring out their "issues" I also don't care if you think I'm making fun of them :)

Was just highlighting how silly it would be to be bringing that entire bag into this game.

Imagine a new hero
    Genderless eater
    Non binary hunter

Hey , to each their own, wish your friends luck in figuring out their "issues" I also don't care if you think I'm making fun of them :)

Was just highlighting how silly it would be to be bringing that entire bag into this game.

I think it would be silly, too. Don’t get me wrong.

If you ask me, there’s way less than 20. Maybe 5 ones I’ll actually believe. The ones that have pride flags, mainly. Ones other people take seriously.
  • I mean, it is a legitimate question, since it affects gameplay. Perhaps when Daeris is on your team, the enemies could have little gender symbols next to their health bars so you know which is which? Or just add then even if Daeris isn't there. Pokemon already does that, it doesn't really affect anything.

Imagine a new hero
    Genderless eater
    Non binary hunter

I think it would be silly, too. Don’t get me wrong.

If you ask me, there’s way less than 20. Maybe 5 ones I’ll actually believe. The ones that have pride flags, mainly. Ones other people take seriously.

Agreed there !
  • Don't the arrows over the enemies turn green or red depending on who's attacking? Just use that to figure it out...
  • bvs72bvs72 Member
    sirolk99 wrote: »
    Don't the arrows over the enemies turn green or red depending on who's attacking? Just use that to figure it out...

Whenever I go out looking for women, all the arrows over their heads are red. One day when I meet Victoria, I hope to see a green arrow.
    Don't the arrows over the enemies turn green or red depending on who's attacking? Just use that to figure it out...

Only for elements. It would be neat, though, if there was a system to show passives and their effects before an attack. Rather than having to tap and hold every enemy to see what they've got.

Imagine, next to the main red/green arrow, there was a smaller arrow. It would show a blue arrow pointing up if a passive (or weakness on the enemy) made your attack more effective, or orange pointing down if a passive made your attack less effective. It could also display which passive(s) exactly made your attack better or worse.

I get that we're supposed to learn some things for ourselves, but it's not like it would hurt anyone to add them. Obviously not a priority.
  • danacdanac Member
    The world really does not need an in-depth analysis of our inanimate heroes sexual identification. If you feel the need to peek under the bonnet to inspect the goods, there is no help for you. Assume the heroes gender classification and go with it.

90% of all human thought endeavors are reclassifications of things.
  • danacdanac Member

Humans? Essentially 3 biologically, but as social constructs the number is arbitrary.
    However, when we get into other species the number of genders can skyrocket.
    iirc, some species have 11 genders.

and ofc, since this is a computer game with unreal characters, you can easily make up as many genders as you wish.
    Maybe Mangle is not male, maybe it's the gender 'gloopab.'

• danacdanac Member

Whenever I go out looking for women, all the arrows over their heads are red. One day when I meet Victoria, I hope to see a green arrow.

What color is the arrow over your wife's head?
    danac wrote: »

Humans? Essentially 3 biologically, but as social constructs the number is arbitrary.

and ofc, since this is a computer game with unreal characters, you can easily make up as many genders as you wish.

Well yeah, biological gender (aka 'sex', please don't kill me, forum gods!) is totally different from gender, the construct. A man, biologically is... Uhm, well, it's a set definition. But according to society, a man is a big, muscular creature who provides for his family, wears a suit and tie, and keeps their hair short. Not to say anyone who doesn't fit that idea isn't a man, but let's just say that quite a few people don't understand why there's Men and Women's shampoo, even if they're made out of the same exact stuff. Ye Olde argument of 'Boys like blue', 'Girls like pink'. 'Don't be different or you're weird'.
    Now we wait for a blue to come and tell us this is way off-topic. Which, to be fair, it is. So let's just... stop, or something.
  • danac wrote: »

I like that word, gloopab
  • UratohUratoh Member
    Now we wait for a blue to come and tell us this is way off-topic. Which, to be fair, it is. So let's just... stop, or something.

And to think, I started this topic half seriously. I mean, I *AM* curious as to how it's determined, it really boils down to 'is it 'having the 'male' flag, or lacking the 'female' flag' behind the scenes.
    I think the more important question to ask here is:

• bvs72bvs72 Member
    danac wrote: »

What color is the arrow over your wife's head?

Orange of course.