Remove the tank runes

I think I speak for my whole guild and most of the top players when I say that tank runes, and to a lesser extent unbreakable heart, have ruined PvP. They slow down the matches a lot and invalidates the whole tanke class.

Having to check the rune setup on every defender is a chore.

Suggested solution: replace the taunt function with a significant defence bonus, for ex 20% damage reduction

Make Reptiles Great Again!

Comments

• Yes, having a glowing sign around the tank rune hero in the selection screen would be the second best solution.
  • No one would ever buy anything from DB if they removed something people payed for. They can't just take away/change/remove runes. I do really like the special rune icons though.
  • No one would ever buy anything from DB if they removed something people payed for. They can't just take away/change/remove runes. I do really like the special rune icons though.

I'm just as pissed of as you about the portal rune, I was even one of the sad losers that spent over 300 summons to get a five star superior. Difference is, no one paid for the tank runes, one was a GGT 5 reward and one in the tank event ticket shop.
  • Quit whinging and being jealous. Earn one next time it’s available.
  • Quit whinging and being jealous. Earn one next time it’s available.

Constructive argument meets average moron. I'm AoA, we won GGT5. I have both tank runes. If you don't have anything useful to say, keep the cakehole shut.
  • mrdahl wrote: »
    Quit whinging and being jealous. Earn one next time it’s available.

Constructive argument meets average moron. I'm AoA, we won GGT5. I have both tank runes. If you don't have anything useful to say, keep the cakehole shut.

Actually it was useful I’m just saying what everyone else is thinking. Everyone has the opportunity to get items. I’m not average either much more than that lol.... what’s you showing off about GGT got to do with it. Now that’s moron talk... #freespeechmot
  • Whether or not someone has the tank runes is irrelevant as regards to the tank runes being overpowered. If you like the tank runes then maybe you can come up with some reasoning instead of starting a fight?

Personally, I think it's more interesting to have runes with powerful effects as opposed to passive stat boosts. There's no denying that the interface needs work to support these runes, though. PvP raids have already been talked about, but in the Tower it's much worse since there's no rune preview at all! At least with the tank rune you can see its effect at the start of a fight; freezing skin and now UH runes can't be detected until it's too late.
  • crustysnailcrustysnail Member
    edited August 2018
    Reasoning it adds more dimension to gameplay. Means you need to rethink your attack strategy perhaps. Tank classes are still viable as per health and Defense... people have a way of dealing with these setup’s in a routine. The new runes throw a spanner in the mix and attempt to lure you to attack this character... there are ways to remove taunt.

Basically adds more into the thought process and allows use of more characters.

Personally when beasts were around to start with could be annoying with constant Rez etc.. that was a long fight.

I wrongly assumed the original poster was whinging as he has not got those runes to work with.

Just because someone can’t auto the PVP with the same team doesn’t mean it ruins it for all and as he referenced the whole of his guild and other higher players think the same that is totally untrue.

Nothing wrong with #banter
  • Now we are back on track. Actual opinions and arguments. You think they improves pvp while I think they slow it down and invalidates the tanks, as per the original post. Although GT had invalidated all other tanks already...

While I agree that pvp needs to be harder to reward skillful play over mindless mass raiding, having to check for runes every match is the wrong way to go.

As for accusing me of lying.... Well, its the general consensus of my guild that tank runes have made pvp less enjoyable. As for most other high end players, those I have spoken with agree, but there is oc a certain selection bias in that.
  • StinkyStinky Member
    edited September 2018
    I can't speak for top end PvP at all. I'm ~200k roster power and at level 71 with not much inclination to change. Which heroes do you come across that have the tank rune? Down here in the dregs I generally only see Balog, Furnace and Dagrund with a tank rune. Before the dwarf update I'd encounter assassins (and very rarely a tank runed Bauble/Ekko alongside assassins), but not any more. Balog and Furnace are already tanks and it's pretty easy to remove the taunt off Dag.

Another reason I feel that the tank rune doesn't invalidate tanks as a whole is because most tanks can't do their job in PvP, i.e protect their allies. I would never willingly take William, OE, Julius, etc. into battle against a shade+barb team because what do they accomplish? Turn a Blind Eye, random target attacks and AoE all make a mockery of the taunt buff anyway. Goretusk isn't the best tank because of auto-taunt, it's because he can actually prevent his teammates from getting squished by Cry Havoc and the like.
  • lythstihllythstihl Member
    edited September 2018
    The problem is when they keep adding special effects that were unique to certain heroes and throw it into the mix of synergies it screws everything up. It lets people play combos with abilities in it that distort things just a bit too much. For example put the tank rune on Valkin along with an Unbreakable Heart Rune and he's an auto tank unaffected by debuffs and has a death shield. Now add into the mix an Emily with Unbreakable Heart and he's backed up by a reader immune to debuffs who has a death shield and she is protected by him as a tank..... it gets to be too much for the average player, even for some of the tougher players and this is just one example. I expect at some point they will add a blind eye rune to allow the hero equipped with it to ignore taunt.
    I can no longer decide from day to day what to think of this game.... and that is frustrating
    I can no longer stand the direction of this game nor the insulting way issues are dealt with
  • I’m patiently waiting for the Shield Piercing rune.

Runes are the future growth of this game. The good news is there is a hard limit of 5 special effects and users are already confronting theses decisions: 10% heal or UH? And that 10% heal rune already replaced a 10% DR rune.

There needs to be rune transparency though. Honestly, all runes should be named based on their 4th stat. Don’t know why DB ever thought Hero and Champion runes were a good idea.
  • I don't see a problem with anybof these special effect runes other than please for the love of god stop naming them hero and champion runes. there's no way to tell what these are when checking for runes and there's already tank and caster runes that are just named hero and champion. electric skin runes should have their own name as well, like electric runes or something. as far as the strategy goes with these, deal with it. get strategic or get out if you can't handle it lol. in this game there is a way to beat any team. if you're the average ftp player well guess that's where your competition ends unless you start grinding for better runes
  • mrdahl wrote: »
    Now we are back on track. Actual opinions and arguments. You think they improves pvp while I think they slow it down and invalidates the tanks, as per the original post. Although GT had invalidated all other tanks already...

While I agree that pvp needs to be harder to reward skillful play over mindless mass raiding, having to check for runes every match is the wrong way to go.

As for accusing me of lying.... Well, its the general consensus of my guild that tank runes have made pvp less enjoyable. As for most other high end players, those I have spoken with agree, but there is oc a certain selection bias in that.

virtually all tanks are and have been useless in PVP, plus they don't auto taunt.

and making PVP less enjoyable = fewer faceroll opportunities to allow you to cram in 2-500 matches a season in quickie times.

really, there was a time when PVP required strategy.
    these new runes require strategy and that means actually looking at the runes.

It's annoying and I forget a lot, but varied runes are the *only* way you're going to have to put any strategy into the game except for a few days after a new meta rolls around.

having said that, adding taunt and UH runes does make some defense extremely hard if not impossible to beat for anyone with less than all elite runes.

• Goes to change runes...